• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Lijj's Sprites

Started by Lijj, April 29, 2010, 06:45:40 am

jimmyjw88

Well, I'm not entirely back yet actually but I'll drop by from time to time. Great Lijj. Looking forward to them.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Twinees

February 05, 2011, 09:58:15 pm #381 Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:01:45 pm by twinees
Heres a little portrait/sprite update for your warlock F Lijj that Raven and I did.
  • Modding version: PSX

RavenOfRazgriz

Better view of the portrait, I added the Robe and did the original work on the hair, twinees grabbed it off me and did a hell of a lot of touching up because I'm retarded and for some reason brought it down to 15 colors when there's really no point to it other than to flaunt his e-penis.  But that's okay, this whole post is about e-penis flaunting!

But seriously, this is what I was talking to you about with the robe and everything, and you said you wanted to update this Portrait anyway, so grab this, do a couple tweaks if you want, apply whatever palettes you want, and update this shit.  The palettes on the BMP now are the ones I'm using for my own mod so you'll probably not want them for a general release, but if you want to, feel free, just credit.

mav

Beautiful portrait. I like the updates to everything, just be careful how saturated/bright the colors are. Have you considered giving one or some of the palettes a different hair color or skin tone? It'll add some diversity to the roster.

RavenOfRazgriz

The version I passed to Twinees' had the Oracles' skin/hair tones set to each of the Portraits' hair and skin colors, but he uniformed them when he did the touchups I think.

I can try adding the variations to the hair/skin palettes back in later and post how they look.

Lijj

February 05, 2011, 10:46:49 pm #385 Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:27:28 am by Lijj
Cool! Looking good; appreciate it, since I've been busy. Was anything on the sprite changed besides the palette?
The hair seems a little soft or undefined at the front but it's still better than what was going on before. Certainly- I'll always give credit were it's due; part of my job.
Since we're on the subject of E-peni...
My latest pixel piece (warning artistic nudity):

RavenOfRazgriz

The ribbon in the hair uses the robe's palette to match the portrait, and the robe on the body uses the tertiary color the hair used to use in the same fashion that the female Oracle did, the former done for the obvious reason of matching the portrait and the latter done because that ribbon being the same color as her robe bugged the everloving shit out of me and she only had two colors else.  I can kind of see what you mean with the hair, but that's really how a lot of that kind of hair in FFT is, very soft and naturally defined instead of having jagged anime-like borders.  Maybe minor touching up is needed, but that's it personally.

That piece of yours looks pretty nice, though the eyes seem off.  The eye closest to the viewer looks a bit too much larger than the eye further away because they're still eyes and still fairly close together and her head isn't severely angled.  Her breast furthest from the viewer also looks like it might be just a smidge too small, but then again breasts are never the exact same size anyway.  Those are the only two flaws I see in it honestly, otherwise it's a rather fine piece.  Great job on it, Lijj, I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

Lijj

Yeah not a problem. On the hair I'd add maybe a touch of depth but still.. it looks great and it doesn't bother me at all the way it looks now.

Thanks for the feedback. I worked on the face for a bit but the eyes do need something. this was the most accurate I could get them catching the personality of the actual person it's based on... but I'll go back and play with them more now that I can really focus on them. Indeed it took a lot of energy.

jimmyjw88

Interesting. Great job, Lijj and yes, what Raven said.
As for the portrait, looks better. Good job.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Lijj

I fixed the hat on the back angles also fixed the side view. What do you think of these palettes?

Kagebunji

I like black on last palette, but black skin, ehehe. But variety is a good thing.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

mav

Your palettes can be more exciting. I mean, I know this is a Red Mage, but let's see colors other than red.

Kagebunji

True, FFTA had Blue, Red and Green for Blue Mage for example. I wouldn't mind if it was more exotic, but this is still nice.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RavenOfRazgriz

Did you modify the gold trim palette any?

It looks a bit brighter, though that may just be because I can more easily contrast it to the other Red Mage palettes on that preview.

mav

And if you are gonna keep these palettes, make sure to brighten the skin on the brown one's. Right now the skin and clothes blend a bit.

RavenOfRazgriz

Some final adjustments to the Warlock F Portrait's hair palette to address the want for different hair palettes by faction.  This only modifies the highlights a-la the Oracle F, but it still adds some differentiation.  1, 4, 6 use a slightly less bright version of Oracle F's palette 1 highlight, 2, 3, 8 use the palette 2 highlight, and 5, 7, use the custom highlight twinees made.  Attaching .BMP for this one as well if people prefer it, just posting it because this was one of the things that came up when the original portraits were posted and it was something I was going to fix for personal use anyway, so I figured I'd share it to save Lijj even more time assuming these highlight palettes don't suck far more than I think they do and he wants to update the one on the front page with this portrait and/or sprite at some point.

The .BMP attached also has a few color corrections to the sprite's robe, I had left one of the palettes untouched when making my own robe palettes and while it wasn't noticeable in any real fashion, I fixed it anyway because I'm OCD like that and it was easy enough to do, so you may still want to grab this BMP even if you prefer the 1-tone hair just so you can have the sprite then toss the old portrait over it, or see what you need to fix on the old BMP if this bothers you as much as it did me, or whatever.

Lijj

The hair coloration changes are so subtle i can barely tell.. I can see the hair's different only if I really focus. But I am grateful you took it into your own hands to get something you wanted done. If you want me to upload it to the main page I'll be glad to. the only thing is the bow on the dress has been changed... the way I had it before the bow on the dress was the same color of the dress so it wasn't too apparent that she had two bows to obfuscate one. but the port makes up for that no complaints.. But if I put it up I should make it as version 2 and keep both up. kind of like how I have 2 versions on Vikings up. oh yes I brightened the yellow a tad.
  I'll post a more exotic palette soon.. I went ahead and submitted this version yesterday morning but can easily update later.

RavenOfRazgriz

It was kinda trying to be subtle, if they were too wild they looked like garbage.  Just subtle color tints the player would be able to see subconsciously but not notice consciously unless they're actively comparing, which is how FFT portrait palettes have always come off to me in terms of the hair.  The bow on the dress not having it's own palette makes it look strange personally, because no decent fashion sense makes you wear a bow that matches your dress shade perfectly... and the two bows honestly doesn't seem like a bother.  On the body, it's a sash tied up in a bow, on the head, it's more like a ribbon... they even look very different in form.  If you want to post it up as ver 2, feel free, I was mostly posting the final update since I remembered at least mav commented on the hair needing more than one palette set.  And yes, I'm a huge do-it-myselfer, if something bugs me, I at least try to fix it myself because I get incredibly frustrated with people who beg for help without even seeing if they can put the effort in themselves first.  Main reason I took up paletting at all honestly, it's something I can do for myself and need a lot of so I don't see a reason to waste our Spriters' time or anyone else's on something that's simple and can be done myself.  The robe just bugged me and wasn't a total portrait overhaul (or rather, wasn't intended as one until I passed it to twinees), so I went for it.

You brightened the yellow?  That I didn't notice, it's the red that looks brighter to me.  Like I said, it's probably me seeing all five palettes next to each other and it being the brightest one in general making me think that.  They still look good, though I agree in that they need more variety.  You should probably try following the faction palettes a bit more, you'd get at least Blue/Red/Green for Hokuten/Nanten/DC, and your blue trim one could easily be the Nanten Red Mage, with the black colored one being palette 5.

Lijj

This time I used more colors from actual sprites.. for example: Hokuten is based on colors from the original Samurai but I slightly slaked the melon in the orange color. The last red is a desaturated rip from Lionel Knight (you should see how bright that is; original knight palette 5) and the purple is from the female monk.

RavenOfRazgriz

Haha.  That Riovanes Red is the same red I used as a base for the color palette of the gold-trim Red Mage when I posted it.  These palettes look pretty good, though sometimes the shading on the Portrait's hat looks strange (see the Hokuten palette), though I'm guessing that's due to either how you chose to tie colors together or the fact you just forgot to mess with that color some to match the new hat colors.  Looking much better, though I'm undecided on that brighter yellow on the player palette's cape trim.

Can't wait to see this guy get a proper female companion.  He looks great.