• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:24:52 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

(current issue)How to get from the world map to a custom event?

Started by Satoh, September 01, 2017, 08:48:06 pm

Satoh

My first event went fairly smoothly and I had fewer issues than I expected while writing it.
Now I need to follow that up with another event, which will end by adding a new party member.

I've decided I'm willing to sacrifice the Beowulf/Reis sequence of events to achieve this goal, so those are the event and ENTD IDs I will be using.

I know I'll likely need to modify the ATTACK.OUT, ENTD, and EVT info for this, as I understand they are all closely connected to each other.

My goal is to lead from Chapter 2 World Map, to a conversation event, and the unit joins thereafter, leading back to the World Map.

Things I know should be easy

• Scripting up the conversation and animations, I feel like I have a decent enough grasp on that part, its like any other scripting.

• The Unit joining the party. That should just be a checkbox in the ENTD as I understand it.

What I'm less clear on is how to remove the existing Beowulf/Reis triggers (that is, what starts them being processed) and replace them with what I want.
I spent most of the day trying to find some thread about it or some variable on the wiki, but I didn't turn up anything that gave me the last piece of the puzzle.

I don't know if I'm looking for something in ATTACK.OUT, or a spreadsheet, or something in the EVT...

I have the Rumors and Game Progression Workbook spreadsheets, by Raven and Elric.
I have a strong suspicion based on what I do know that the answer is going to involve one of those...
Could someone point me in the right direction?

EDIT:
Ok, I see some things that appear to line up with the World Map 1.00 Editor, on this page http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Event_Conditions
and it appears that for Lenalia Plateau, it checks variable [Storyline Progression] equal to value 0x000B, and if true, sends the player to event 0x3D, which is Miluda2(setup)... and then it does another 0x0001 instruction on... nothing?
01006E000B0019003D000100

So, assuming I have that right, the instruction I need, to send me to the event I plan to use... I need something like... 03006E000F001900DD010100
if story progression > 0x0F (ch.2 start), load event 0x01DD (477, setup event), and I still don't know what the last 0100 does.
but I'd also need something to test if I don't already have this character. I don't see an instruction here that can do bitmasking so I'd assume I couldn't just check that in 0x00A9 bit 2 (Rescued Reis)...

Edit2:
Resolved for now. I'll reopen this if I have more questions related to it in the future.
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/World_Map_Instructions

Basically, you have to reverse every half-word because I never really made a proper tool for this stuff. The spreadsheets I made "work", but they're still a pain in the ass to use... I've just never found the time/energy to complete a better tool for the small amount of people who do make story mods.

You're probably better off going with Raven's workbooks instead of mine. Like, I think mine doesn't calculate the space used or something.
Just know that you're going to have to make space somewhere if you want to add more conditions. There are several redundant conditions, for example story progress = X and Y is in your party, even though they're a guest and it's not possible for them to not be in your party at that point.

This is a lot to learn, so I would suggest that you slow down a bit unless you want to burn out lol.

Quote from: Satoh on September 01, 2017, 08:48:06 pm
What I'm less clear on is how to remove the existing Beowulf/Reis triggers (that is, what starts them being processed) and replace them with what I want.
I spent most of the day trying to find some thread about it or some variable on the wiki, but I didn't turn up anything that gave me the last piece of the puzzle.

http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Variables
0x00A7 - 0x00A8 - 0x00A9 - 0x00AC
Unless that's not what you're asking
So you should be able to easily find the conditionals tied to those, say by searching for "0100A7000100".
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful