• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:36 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Atma's Sprites

Started by Atma, December 16, 2011, 11:41:31 am

Lijj

I like the one with mediator's hair the most. Agrias' original hair is so good, but this just looks like a longer version of the original's. That; with the longer coat make for a tastfull combination... she looks dignified.
  • Modding version: PSX

Atma

Pretty much what I was going for.  My choice one is that one as well.  I like the long coat just cause it looked cooler to me, since I kind of think her original coat looks kind of 'piratey'.  And like u said, the Mediator's hair is just like a longer version of her original which is exactly why I chose it.
I've been playing around with ideas for how I want Rad to look.  I've been thinking of having him like an apprentice to Gafgarion, so I wanted to incorporate some of his style into Rad's sprite, but I kinda want him still looking like a Squire.  I originally wanted some sort of scarf, but couldn't get it to look right (may try for a Helmet if the hood doesn't do it for me.  I don't mind this outcome... but I feel it can be pushed a little more.  Still working on it, but here's where I'm at:
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

GeneralStrife

Yeah the problem with the hood is it looks like hair, really. At least to me..lol.

Taichii

Quote from: GeneralStrife on December 23, 2011, 07:56:00 am
Yeah the problem with the hood is it looks like hair, really. At least to me..lol.

at my first glance, yep it looked like hair :D
if you put a hood at a sprite , wouldn't it look better if it also has a cape? :D
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Kagebunji

Atma, if you add a hood, I assure you that a scarf will be a win combination. To get a nice scarf, look at Laharl from Disgaea 1 for reference, it is on Spriters Resource. And yes, this current hood looks none like hood, when I saw it I though gold outline was a tiara of some sort and brown long hair behind it. If you want some Gaffgarion's elements, I would vote to ry hands(not the whole arm, only gloves), they have spikes on them IIRC, and it would still look like a Squire, just with Gaffy's little detail on.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RandMuadDib

What about a squire with a brown gaffgarion palette? Then he'd be unique and still look like a squire :D maybe a hat, like the thief's. Might be a little easier than trying to do a whole new sprite?

Just throwing some ideas out there, not a request by any means.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Vanya

Quote from: Atma on December 23, 2011, 07:22:18 am
...since I kind of think her original coat looks kind of 'piratey'.

Being a pirate myself, I can tell you a longer coat is more 'piratey' since Officers during the golden age of piracy didn't normally wear short coats on account they were not in style and pretty much nobody made them short. Even the vests were long. Just sayin'.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Atma

QuoteBeing a pirate myself, I can tell you a longer coat is more 'piratey' since Officers during the golden age of piracy didn't normally wear short coats on account they were not in style and pretty much nobody made them short. Even the vests were long. Just sayin'.

Hmm, good to know.
Yeah... the hood is kind of a mess.  I was thinking of covering more of face, so u don't see that 'gold trim' (aka, his hair :P)  but I'll probably scrap it.  I like the idea of Gafgarion's gloves, just take elements of him and make him a bit different than a regular squire.  I tried the scarf, but couldn't get it to look right.  I was thinking something like Laharl's but just couldn't make it work.  I think I needed a separate colour so it would stand out against his clothes.  I definitely want at least 1 of my sprites to have a scarf, so it will happen, just maybe not on this sprite.  Next edit will probably look very different :P

Tea

Quote from: Vanya on December 23, 2011, 05:02:22 pm
Being a pirate myself, I can tell you a longer coat is more 'piratey' since Officers during the golden age of piracy didn't normally wear short coats on account they were not in style and pretty much nobody made them short. Even the vests were long. Just sayin'.

Something pirates of the Caribbean did right then?

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Atma on December 23, 2011, 07:22:18 am
Pretty much what I was going for.  My choice one is that one as well.  I like the long coat just cause it looked cooler to me, since I kind of think her original coat looks kind of 'piratey'.  And like u said, the Mediator's hair is just like a longer version of her original which is exactly why I chose it.
I've been playing around with ideas for how I want Rad to look.  I've been thinking of having him like an apprentice to Gafgarion, so I wanted to incorporate some of his style into Rad's sprite, but I kinda want him still looking like a Squire.  I originally wanted some sort of scarf, but couldn't get it to look right (may try for a Helmet if the hood doesn't do it for me.  I don't mind this outcome... but I feel it can be pushed a little more.  Still working on it, but here's where I'm at:

That's a great looking rad. He looks appropriate for a gaffy apprentice. armor isn't rusted, hmmm...I think the hood works too, but it looks odd, probably because all hoods are with balamfula/shrine knight outfit on all other sprites.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Could you post side-by sides of the different hoods in the game - Meliadoul, Gaffy the executioner (which is the source for this hood, correct?), and Rofel?

http://units.wesnoth.org/trunk/mainline/en_US/Huntsman.html
^Maybe make the sides of the hood billow out a bit more, like a hoodie jacket does?

http://units.wesnoth.org/trunk/mainline/en_US/Ranger.html
^Or you could go with the floppy hood, like this sprite has.

For some reason, I think this sprite will look good with Link's (as in Legend Of Zelda) cap.

Atma

The hood was from Meliadoul.  I'm probably not gonna end up using the hood.  Either gonna go with a helm or spiky hair, I think. 
FYI, haven't touched any of my projects in a while.  Been really busy.  I had an idea I wanna do, it shouldn't be much work, it's simply using the frames from the Chocobos and replacing the Dragons so I can use Reis' Dragon skills on them.  Thought it would be fun.  Of course I could use anything, but I'd like to use the Chocobos.

I'll hopefully get a lil more time to get back to my stuff, but it might still be a little while.  Stay frosty.

Ethaniel Ever Fell

Very nice work.

That Agrias' dancer alt portrait is stunning. Highly original taste to the eye.
"Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." -Vanille

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: Atma on March 24, 2012, 03:26:57 amThe hood was from Meliadoul.  I'm probably not gonna end up using the hood.  Either gonna go with a helm or spiky hair, I think.

I wanted to tell you to use a helm instead, but for some reason I didn't think it'd be a good idea to say so.  Glad you think so too, because - in my opinion as a non-spriter - that hood kinda blows, with this particular body and face.

Atma

Quotein my opinion as a non-spriter - that hood kinda blows

:lol: HAHAHA, too funny.
Don't worry, if u think it sucks, just say it... i don't mind.  Like I've said before, they're for myself and it only really matters if I like it, and I can take criticism very well. 
I want to get back to doing sprites, but I've got a lot of stuff going on.  Wedding, new place to live, new job, bills over my head... u know, the fun stuff in life.
I've been thinking of redoing the Wizard/Black Mage cause I find they look a lil funny, kinda too pudgy to be a human, so I was looking at some old Black Mages throughout the Final Fantasy series' and really wanna try to get it to look more like this picture.  The male Oracle looks like it would be a good base to start with, mostly for the coat.

GeneralStrife

I agree the oracle looks like it's coat would fit nicely with this. I would change the ugly oracle belt though. maybe squire belt, might go perfect with it.

Jon

This might be tricky because of size limitations. If you for example use the Oracle, change his colors, make his face black with golden eyes, etc, there still would be the hat. I think the hat might get cut off on the unit formation screen, that is if you take the already existing Black Mage hat...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Panda_Tar

What if the hat gets a bit bent backwards? In FFT, it's pointedly upwards, but in his new conception, perhaps he can do it sort of falling back, so he/she would be hooded in black (with those lantern eyes), and the hat would be on his/her back. OR, you can use the approach as with Yuna's hat, not being too pointy, only rounded-like.
Always interpreting the foul side of things makes you fouler still.

GeneralStrife

Well lijj's improved BM generics did that and they dont look like black mages really, they look like chinese rice farmers. Haha.

3lric

March 27, 2012, 03:12:49 pm #79 Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:28:49 pm by Elric42
Quote from: GeneralStrife on March 27, 2012, 03:03:39 pm
they look like chinese rice farmers. Haha.

... maybe if a Chinese rice farmer had the ability to launch a fireball up your ass.. then yea that's what they look like.