• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 01:20:40 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

can final fantasy tactics be 2 player?

Started by Zetaro, February 14, 2011, 06:44:03 pm

Zetaro

I mean two separate teams and two separate controllers. is that even possible?
also can you play it using two separate computers as well?
Everyone will know the name Zetaro!

st4rw4k3r

LastingDawn

There's been a rumor that in a prototype of the Greatest Hits collection there was 2 Player capability. Though I'm not sure of any of the details. I think Cheetah might be able to explain that a bit better than myself.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

philsov

Input's a bitch more than anything else.

Best solution so far is a single memcard and the teamviewer program.  One of the two (or a 3rd person) plays host with the iso and memcard, and the other(s) give commands verbally/electronically/something.  If IRL, just pass the controller back and forth.  No need for much else. 

Couple that with the world debug menu code or make a piggyback hack of what FFT:Arena is doing and you can have cumbersome but present 2 player funsies.  Max team via world debug is 4v4 (mostly due to sprite limits), but with the proper hacking one can achieve an 8 on 8 human-controlled gang war.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Cheetah

Quote from: LastingDawn on February 24, 2011, 01:13:05 pm
There's been a rumor that in a prototype of the Greatest Hits collection there was 2 Player capability. Though I'm not sure of any of the details. I think Cheetah might be able to explain that a bit better than myself.

Your avatar is hilarious LD.

I have yet to prove this to be true. If anything I have found it to be false. Philsov's method is the best.
Current Projects:

LastingDawn

Quote from: Cheetah on February 24, 2011, 10:57:10 pm
Your avatar is hilarious LD.

I have yet to prove this to be true. If anything I have found it to be false. Philsov's method is the best.

Hehe, yes. How lucky I was to come across fan art of not only Funeral, but High Chef Funeral!

Though I thought Karsten was researching the subject heavily once upon a time and I thought he spoke to a beta tester for it? Or is my memory muddled in that event.

Art of War

Cheetah

I have spoken with said beta tester, from what I could figure there wasn't two player in that either. Though you needed to use the second controller to activate the debug mode. Well...gosh I can't remember now. Either way there have been several rumors and neither has panned out. I do know that there are many differences between the original and rerelease of FFT in japan though.
Current Projects:

LastingDawn

Hmm? The Greatest Hits the Japanese got was different from our own?

Also was the beta-tester for the original or the Greatest Hits? If the original, we may be able to get some information on the original story progression...

There is hinting that the first parts of the fourth chapter were added on late at the end, with the trip back to Orbonne and finally Murond right after Riovanes.

Art of War

Cheetah

Not exactly. I don't know about differences in the US versions. All the JP versions are way different from the US. But the rereleases of the JP are different from the original JP in pretty significant ways code whise. Hitting that maybe there is some new/different unknown functionality.

Beta-testers are only for original versions I would think :). The only difference he ever found was the inclusion of a much extended debug menu. Since it was the US version all the main content had already been finalized in the JP version.

I have never heard of a JP beta floating around, that would be a true goldmine. But there was never a publically released demo, and I haven't heard of any show room demos either.
Current Projects: