• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Is WotL modding support still limited?

Started by bee, May 05, 2022, 04:11:10 pm

bee

I just came across a thread in the WotL modding section, that said in no uncertain terms that WotL modding is a bad idea, compared to the PSX version.

I wanted to mod WotL because I think the cutscenes are beautiful, and some of the extra content is fun, but after seeing the thread, I was wondering if support is still as rough as it was ~6 years ago when the thread was created.

Thanks again for the help! 🐝
  • Modding version: PSX
🐝

3lric

Quote from: bee on May 05, 2022, 04:11:10 pmI just came across a thread in the WotL modding section, that said in no uncertain terms that WotL modding is a bad idea, compared to the PSX version.

I wanted to mod WotL because I think the cutscenes are beautiful, and some of the extra content is fun, but after seeing the thread, I was wondering if support is still as rough as it was ~6 years ago when the thread was created.

Thanks again for the help! 🐝

It doesn't say modding WotL is bad, it says not its nearly as viable as the tools, ASMs and everything else made to edit the games is 90% aimed toward the PS1 version. PS1 doesn't have the slowdown, the wonky sounds or any of that, and most people see it as the superior translation over the unrealistic faux old English used in WotL.

TLW has all the additional events and story bits. It also has the intro and opening movies. In the few places that there were movies in WotL that we didn't add, a new custom event was made instead.

The only things missing from TLW that wont be added at all are Onion Knight, FellSwords and the other equipment added via WotL. Everything else is there.

bee

May 06, 2022, 02:45:08 am #2 Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 03:24:28 am by bee
Oh, cool! Thanks for the info, that project sounds rad, I'll have to check it out!

The thread I'm talking about (https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11535.0) didn't leave much room for interpretation on the authors' view. That said, seeing the reasons, I had to agree. So I was mostly just wondering if the gulf in tooling was still present. Sounds like it is?

Related: Is there any chance TLW is further mod-able using the standard tools? If not, I understand (and will still enjoy playing it), but it sounded like the perfect starting point I had been hoping for in WotL.

*EDIT* I looked into it, and it says it *can* be a base mod! That's awesome! Still need to do more research to see how further modding would go though (e.g. can I still use the same tools). Thanks again for the info

*EDIT 2* Oh! This is a project you worked on! Well, nicely done to you and the team, it looks amazing. (Also your documentation rigor is admirable on its own, lol)
🐝

Xifanie

WotL finally has ASM hackers. Or maybe just one. Tzepish is active our our discord server, and Nax (really smart guy and a programmer) was active until a month ago... no idea why he's not anymore.
Though it is frowned upon to push requests on ASM hackers in this community (the requests being infinite, and the number of ASM hackers being, well, extremely limited).

With all things considered, I would still say WotL modding is in its infancy, but I do see some potential in the long term.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

bee

Ahh, ok that makes sense. Well, while I am a software engineer professionally, I have only rudimentary ASM skills, so I think I'll stick to the shallow end of the pool for the time being (i.e. PSX, established tooling), and not presume to burden anyone here with more than the occasional forum post. 😅
🐝