• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Has anyone ever made a FFT tabletop rpg?

Started by Havermayer, March 18, 2009, 04:18:06 pm

Kaijyuu

April 05, 2009, 03:49:23 am #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quite honestly, I can't find anything wrong with it (cept the aforementioned fixed logo). Looking really hard, maybe the white text box could use a texture. The text within that box could benefit from a new font, as well.

Other than that... perfect.
  • Modding version: PSX

KazeKasano

April 05, 2009, 04:21:44 am #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
I've tried several fonts, actually. But this ends up being a 2.5x5 inch card, so TNR is infinitely more readable than anything else at that size.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

Havermayer

April 20, 2009, 12:49:27 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
I'm a total noob at tabletop rpgs.  But can anyone post the entire, um "rules" for their tabletop versions of FFT?  I'd love to try it out.

KazeKasano

April 20, 2009, 01:10:25 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
It's very hard to create such a game, honestly. And the materials you'd need are not exactly everywhere.
Mine isn't near finished yet, but I may have a chance to work on it over this weekend.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.

Neuromancer

April 20, 2009, 02:59:34 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Neuromancer
I've been working on a minis skirmish game based on FFT as well, but using a direct conversion from the game mechanics plus some elements from the Flat Out War system rather than from SWminis.The game uses stackable 3D hex tiles made out of styrofoam to build the map. I've got most of the mechanics down but need to find a decent way to translate the clocktick turn order system and work out a decent design for Job cards and Equipment cards.

I intend to include all the Jobs from FFT plus some from FFTA (namely the Red and Blue mages plus the Assassin).

KazeKasano

April 20, 2009, 04:21:26 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Never heard of Flat Out War, but it sounds similar to Heroscape.
My game can actually use hexes or squares, depending on player preference.

Neuromancer

April 20, 2009, 04:43:34 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Neuromancer
Quote from: "KazeKasano"Never heard of Flat Out War, but it sounds similar to Heroscape.
My game can actually use hexes or squares, depending on player preference.

Actually Flat Out War is a gridless system :P. The styrofoam hexes were my own idea, lol.

KazeKasano

April 20, 2009, 07:51:59 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Ooh. Gridless systems are pretty epic as well, though much harder to use.

Neuromancer

April 20, 2009, 08:01:53 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Neuromancer
Quote from: "KazeKasano"Ooh. Gridless systems are pretty epic as well, though much harder to use.

Yeah, implementing FFT on a gridless system would be a nightmare :/.

Havermayer

April 21, 2009, 08:32:51 am #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
I'm a total tabletop noob, so I don't quite understand why it's so complicated.

For just the battle-mechanics, couldn't you just do all the calculations manually, and just use a 20 sided die as the random number generator?  You could have characters move around the maps with the same rules as the game.

KazeKasano

April 21, 2009, 01:21:40 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Yeah, but there's a reason it works well as a virtual system. There are way too many variables for the game to be very much fun in a direct port of the rules. The gameplay would be almost so slow that everyone would lose interest.
That's why parts of it need to be streamlined.

Neuromancer

April 21, 2009, 05:51:23 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Neuromancer
Quote from: "Havermayer"I'm a total tabletop noob, so I don't quite understand why it's so complicated.

For just the battle-mechanics, couldn't you just do all the calculations manually, and just use a 20 sided die as the random number generator?  You could have characters move around the maps with the same rules as the game.

If you don't streamline and systematize things, the game would flow at a snail's pace. Try playing Warhammer 40000 and you'll understand why it's so important.

KazeKasano

April 21, 2009, 05:55:10 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Exactly. A completely faithful adaptation of Tactics would take longer than a game of Risk between world champions.
I'm no world champion, and I've played a game of Risk that lasted three days before.
By the end of it, nobody wanted to even think about world domination.

Zuka

April 22, 2009, 08:09:57 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zuka
http://geocities.com/deusincarnum/CTCalcpage.html  HP calculator that made my tabletop game a little easier.

http://geocities.com/deusincarnum/CTcalc.html CT calculator that REALLY streamlined my tabletop system... this way I could actually make use of CT which was all but impossible before the calculator

Neuromancer

April 23, 2009, 11:01:26 am #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Neuromancer
Cool stuff, but the point of a tabletop game is to not need external digital tools to figure things out :P. Otherwise why make a tabletop port at all?.

Smash

April 23, 2009, 02:46:11 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Use legos.

Kaijyuu

April 23, 2009, 04:25:29 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Getting rid of the CT system would make speed and casting time of spells much, much less important.
  • Modding version: PSX

Neuromancer

April 23, 2009, 04:42:47 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Neuromancer
Quote from: "Smash"Use legos.

That was my first thought, but I don't own enough pieces and I'd have to mod the minifigs :/. Maybe I'll do that when I gain access to a rapid prototyping machine (that means not anytime soon)

Quote from: "Kaijyuu"Getting rid of the CT system would make speed and casting time of spells much, much less important.

I'm working on an adapted version of the CT system that doesn't involve a lot of data to keep track of but it's a bit hard to grasp:

-Assign each unit a Speed value from 1 to 10.

-Make a list with all your units from highest speed to lowest speed, putting tied units on the same speed tier. Your opponent will have to do the same.

-Determine initiative by whatever method you see fit (die roll, coinflip, RPS game, whatever).

-The player who has the initiative activates his Unit with highest speed.(we'll call him "Player A") If there's a tie among the highest speed units, that player chooses one of them. After resolving that unit's actions, initiative is passed to the other player ("Player B") and she must activate a unit with the same speed as the one that previously acted (that means if Player A activated a unit with Speed 8, Player B must pick a unit with Speed 8. If she controls no Units that can match said Speed Value, she must pass initiative to Player A).

-When all units in a speed tier controlled by both players have completed their actions (or a player has passed the initiative for a lack of able units), the following speed tier is checked (that would be Speed 7 in this example), and is resolved in the same fashion. Then players move to the next tier, and so forth until all units have acted.

- One Speed Tier advancement= 1 Clocktick.

SentinalBlade

April 23, 2009, 10:34:30 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
How are you handling the reaction abilities Neuro?

you could restrict some levels of stats to keep a smeblance of trade-offs.

choose between 3 differently sized number of die to represent your brave/faith. the larger the die you use/brave you would like offsets your characters max pa/sp/hp/mp and so forth. It sounds complicated, but a general table would help depending on how large an offset you chose. you could even make it simpler and say lowest brave is no penalties, second lowest gets -1 to a stat or -10 to hp/mp, the next one gets a -2 to a state or minus 20 hp/mp

Dont know if you even plan to include them. but its something that shouldnt entirely be removed(cause it can really make you think about taking the chance on that unit with HP restore), and its relativly easy to do once you figure out how you want to handle it.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT KAZE! your avatar blinks... i was just scrolling up and i thought i saw the eye move... so i stared at it for a sec and it fucking winked at me xD

KazeKasano

April 23, 2009, 11:03:14 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Yeah... Firion does that. I'm thinking of increasing the frames in between the motions, so that it makes people believe they're seeing things.