• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:39:31 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT: Second Read Softcover

Started by ParryPupPup, January 07, 2022, 07:55:56 pm

ParryPupPup

January 07, 2022, 07:55:56 pm Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 10:12:44 am by ParryPupPup
After a long struggle of not knowing what I'm doing, making hundreds of mistakes, I have finally completed my first mod for the community and can say that it is indeed "Complete" this time for what it's trying to accomplish. There are some things that I will address in the future, but for now, it is what it is.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Second Read
"Mr. Coreander: Ahh, but have you ever read a book twice? Books change each time you read them."
- The Neverending Story 2

Final Fantasy Tactics is beloved by many, including myself ever since I was a child. So much so, that when my brother got in a fight, we broke the disc over my head. I'd bought WotL to play on his PSP, aaaand I lost it. But still, this game is near and dear to my heart and always will be. I liked War of the Lions' cutscenes, all the voice acting, but outside of those cutscenes where the dialogue was fairly easy to follow, they tried to retranslate the script far too hard. Every line felt like it was trying too hard to be Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe and as I've joked before, was so purple in its prose that it could literally choke a violet. So upon learning that I can actually change up the dialogue, I thought I'd try my hand at overhauling the ENTIRE game's script. Retranslating the translation.

This mod is built off of The Lion War 2.021. You will have access to all of TLW's features such as the Dark Knight Job, Rendezvous Missions, Transmigration, New Game+, etc..

Features:
* Game dialogue overhaul. This is the sole highlight of this mod. The entirety of the game's script and dialogue has been overhauled to be more coherent and has better
characterizations and plot threads. Such as Olan going to Ovelia and Delita, not as an accuser of "You killed my daddy" - he's playing his role as a guardian of
Ovelia and by extension Delita... from what... you'll have to play to know.

* Scene changes such as Ramza blasting Algus
with a bolt of lightning for a very crude
comment about the Hyrals. More to be found
whilst playing.

*A new Title Screen, and a coloured Map that details borders, territories and gives tiny hints to the sidequests.

* Minor character name changes.
Izlude is now Izurud. (Izurūdo Tinjeru is his translated name from Japanese)
Orlandu is Orland (Much easier to say in my opinion)
Vormav is Volmarv (A portmanteau of Folmarv and Vormav)

* Minor gameplay changes.
In scenes such as the "Save Algus" or "Kill All Enemies"
part in Mandalia plains, you'll be given a hint as to
what's what.
The Save Algus option will have (Hard Mode)
Kill All Enemies will have (Normal Mode)

You'll also be given some hints on gameplay, like
I feel should have been in vanilla.

* Major gameplay changes
2x Job Point gains across the board. (This is not JP UP on all units innately. No units have had their passives changed in the slightest.)
You will have a much easier time getting jobs and units you want to play with and the grind's been cut down.

Second, and biggest of all, all units have the same base PA and MA. In vanilla FFT, Male units had 4 raw PA and 3 raw MA.
Females were swapped - 3 RPA and 4 RMA. Now, every unit, including Ramza has 6 RMA and RPA a slight buff in that regard for
both gameplay pleasure - you can now use Females in Physical Combat roles and they'll be as effective as a Male and so on.
You will have to start a new game to see these changes however, but that's honestly the best way to experience this
mod since the opening has been given a total facelift as well.

Palette Changes to all playable units. They'll now have a Navy-Blueish colour scheme across all jobs, some having black or
white trimmings to keep in theme with their job. This is to remove the hodgepodge of colour schemes you got whilst
playing and now have something more in-line and uniform like the opponent human units. Except Ramza, his Chapter 1 outfit will
have this Navy Blue, but the Mercenary Armor will be a tad darker, and the Chapter 4 Buttpants Outfit will hopefully be a little
less of an eyesore going for an all-grey Steel/Gunmetal look that'll hopefully make you think less about the Buttpants. Hehe!

Last but not least, Smart Encounters have been enabled. You can now SELECT when you want to fight a battle rather than hope
you don't get held up by one randomly and feel like you have to reload a quicksave just to avoid it. Just select a green
dot on the map, you'll move there without any obstacles in your way and you'll fight a battle there guaranteed.
Want to get to a different town quickly? No problem.

* Upcoming features:
Second Read: Hardcover Edition, that's still very beta and a Work in Progress, a companion and optional alternative.
Same Second Read script, new gameplay altogether.
It'll be my own interpretation of the Jobs and Abilities.
Planned features are making Hero Jobs (Holy Knight, Engineer, Divine Knight, etc.)
have a distinct identity as a base Job instead of "Squire+" due to their reactions
and supports being "Squire, but with different usable abilities" When the hell is
anyone gonna put Equip: Axes on Mustadio? Haha! They'll have reactions and supports
from other classes, but they'll hopefully be thematically fitting that you can keep
them at their special class instead of sloughing through Geomancer to get Attack Up
for Agrias.

For patching and playing this mod, use PPF-O-Matic, the provided PPF at the bottom of this post, and a CLEAN VANILLA ISO/BIN.
Do not patch on top of any other Image, you WILL break something.

And since I intended Second Read's script to be a base of its own that people could use in their own TLW2 builds, I will include Softcover's EVT in the download.
The EVT is meant for mod authors and developers, not players, so if you just want to play the mod, download the PPF.

Patch Notes
-------------------------
8 January, 2022 - Version 1.55
Fixed JP and proposition problems that arose from testing changes in the mod.
JP levels should be normal and vanilla again.

10 January, 2022 - Version 1.57
Fixed a critical crash after rescuing Rapha.
Fixed some character sprites being out of colour
in certain cutscenes.
Adjusted a lot of grammatical errors and cleaned
up some other sentences that look and feel wrong
saying them out loud.

13 January, 2022 - Version 1.59
Fixed many sprites being incorrectly rendered.

27 January, 2022 - Version 1.9
Fixed more grammatical and spelling errors. Adjusted some more dialogue to flow a bit more naturally.

Major Change: Bard and Dancer are now essentially the same class. To further push my theme of
"Less gender inequality" Both skillsets have been renamed to "Perform" both jobs are unlocked the same way, equip the same items, have the same stat multipliers and growths, everything.
As far as their passives, this has also been changed.
Both Bard and Dancer now have access to A/MA Save, Brave/Face Up, Move/Jump+3. Fly has been moved to Dark Knights since the Movement passives were redundant otherwise.

And last major gameplay change I ever plan to make, Perfumes and Hair Adornments are unisex.
You can equip them on any unit you please. You don't need to agonize over Cloud being the ONLY male character capable of equipping a Ribbon.

Also Mediator now has black pants instead of off-blue pants.

11 February, 2022 - Version 2.0
More grammatical errors and broken dialogue boxes fixed.
Made it clear Dancers and Bards are now the same class, can equip the right weapons, weapon descriptions fixed to match.
Removed "Women's ____" from equipment since now there's no gender disparity like before.
Made a slight change to the "Hacktics presents" screen as an early indicator you've got it working. Probably will be a yellow one for Hardcover whenever I get around to finishing that.
Remade all the Map Title screens. Will now properly show which maps you are going to or the game is preparing to show, "Fort Besselat" instead of "Bethla Garrison"

2 March, 2022 - Version 2.16
Fixed a couple more grammar errors. Gave Ultima a makeover. Took away her "crown wings" and a new palette.
Gave Miluda her own palette to work with during fights and scenes with her so she stands out.
New "Intro" help text after Gariland, little credit and explanation of some of the features.
Gave the UI a teensy tweak, you'll notice it, but I like it, my mod, nyeh! <3

Credits for the TLW Staff, 'cause without them, none of this would have been possible in the first place.
----------

Elric
Attack.out Rebuild, Spreadsheet & GUI
Worldmap Rebuild
WotL Event Additions & Fixes
Mod Organization
Vanilla Event Fixes and Jumps
ASM Setup, Application & Testing
Sound Novel fixes and Implimentation
Bugtesting

RavenofRazgriz
Initial Attack.out Rebuild, Spreadsheet & GUI
Initial Worldmap Rebuild
Sidequest Changes & WotL Implimentation

Xifanie
ASM - Altima Teleport
ASM - Event Instruction Upgrade Hack
ASM - Extra Abilities Effects Hack
ASM - Map 120 Edits
ASM - Unit Restriction & Guests in Randoms
New Game Plus Work (not yet complete)
Squashing some bugs

Angel/Toshiko
De-WotLize Dialogue in WotL Event Ports
Translated & Fixed Sound Novel Images
Title Screen & Lead-in frames from WotL Movie to Title Screen

Pride
ASM - Rumor Edits
ASM - ARH Lite - TLW Edition

Choto
ASM - 1E4 & 1E5 Become Adeptness & Sturdy
ASM - Barrage & Weapon Strike Rewrite
ASM - Extra Generic Class

Glain
ASM - Bravestory Fix
ASM - UWEntries

Twinees
Sprite Fixes & Edits

Valkirst
New Ashley Riot Sprite

FFMaster
WotL Opening & Intro Movie Ports

Nyzer
WotL Event Fixes

Celdia
Allowing merge of her ISIA patch for Consolidation.

Retrotypes
Several event fixes.

Bugtesters
Nyzer
HebrewToYou
Blue
Ansehelm
NinjaWeazel
Retrotypes
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Puppy

TTGL23

I like the idea of the hack. Tbh tho, while I can understand the qualms one would have with the PSP translation, I do think the updated PSP names sound generally better. I especially like the PSP faction names, which in the European fantasy setting are more fitting than stuff like Hokuten. It's the dialogue that I find to be an issue, as the flowery pose ends up making things confusing just for the sake of it. I wonder if were possible to make a mod with the PSP character and faction names but with your revised script.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

ParryPupPup

Quote from: TTGL23 on January 10, 2022, 03:20:44 pmI like the idea of the hack. Tbh tho, while I can understand the qualms one would have with the PSP translation, I do think the updated PSP names sound generally better. I especially like the PSP faction names, which in the European fantasy setting are more fitting than stuff like Hokuten. It's the dialogue that I find to be an issue, as the flowery pose ends up making things confusing just for the sake of it. I wonder if were possible to make a mod with the PSP character and faction names but with your revised script.

Did... you play the mod? Because they're used interchangeably.
Sometimes I use Hokuten, sometimes I use Nanten, other times I use Northern/Southern Sky.
And that was done deliberately, nicknames and shorthand.

Northern Sky is still Hokuten.
Southern Sky is still Nanten.

Hell, with utmost deliberation I made it clear that I'm using two names without spelling it out "Nanten means Southern Sky"

"Lady Agrias--! Nanten Knights!"
"Why is the Southern Sky here?!"

And I trust the treader is smart enough to infer the new names and put two and two.

I don't always write out "Corpse Brigade", I shorthand it to Brigade because the in-universe characters know what's being talked about.

ParryPupPup

Should I really make the Bags unisex too? They kinda feel like a weapon no-one really used.

Also, if anyone streams this, link your Twitch urls, I might pop in to see your reactions, answer any questions, or just chat it up! ^~^

nitwit

Quote from: ParryPupPup on January 28, 2022, 08:24:55 amShould I really make the Bags unisex too? They kinda feel like a weapon no-one really used.
I never used them. Make more shurikens or bombs instead?

Are you using the hack to make axe and flail damage variable from 1/2 to 3/2 PA * WP?

ParryPupPup

Quote from: nitwit on January 28, 2022, 08:55:22 amI never used them. Make more shurikens or bombs instead?

Are you using the hack to make axe and flail damage variable from 1/2 to 3/2 PA * WP?

No, and I don't plan to. Gameplay changes are done. Changes like that will be in Hardcover.

Valamar

Hello again, your mod's has come a long way since it was initially in WIP, well done.

I decided to do a new playthrough and only a few weird things stood out

-When igro's castle is raided the two dead knights have the navy blue outfit, from my point of view navy blue is "Ramza's Squad" Faction so any units using that color are, or in the future will be under Ramza's command, maybe make them the default old knight colors?

-During the Zirekile Falls battle Ramza and Gaff are talking and at one point gaff says something like "you should thanking me for bringing you in!" theres a "be" missing inbetween "should" and "thanking"

-Random archers in fovoham plains battle can have no gear (units were around lvl 32)

-Orlandu can be recruited now, I think that's intended as he says something like "It's up to Ramza whether I should accompany him or stay behind the scenes elsewhere." and then after olan speaks and orlandu says "I'm sorry I cannot go with you Ramza." then he can be recruited, this is probably leftover from when you initially disabled orlandu and recruiting him was impossible.

-The knights summoned by Zalera have no gear and have holy knight ability, but can't use due to no sword.

-Meliadoul when holding the Sagittarius orb has her glove as gold from her old sprite.

-when Delita defends Oveila from 2 Hokuten assassin's the male ninja is the navy blue Ramza's squad uses, think you could the old default ninja look, would still make him look affiliated with northern sky.

ParryPupPup

Quote from: Valamar on January 30, 2022, 01:56:33 amHello again, your mod's has come a long way since it was initially in WIP, well done.

I decided to do a new playthrough and only a few weird things stood out

-When igro's castle is raided the two dead knights have the navy blue outfit, from my point of view navy blue is "Ramza's Squad" Faction so any units using that color are, or in the future will be under Ramza's command, maybe make them the default old knight colors?
Fixed, simple change.

-During the Zirekile Falls battle Ramza and Gaff are talking and at one point gaff says something like "you should thanking me for bringing you in!" theres a "be" missing inbetween "should" and "thanking"
Fixed.

-Random archers in fovoham plains battle can have no gear (units were around lvl 32)
Fixed, and this probably wasn't my fault, was probably an oversight by the TLW Team, who understandably could miss a couple things with their mod which was the base of Second Read.

-Orlandu can be recruited now, I think that's intended as he says something like "It's up to Ramza whether I should accompany him or stay behind the scenes elsewhere." and then after olan speaks and orlandu says "I'm sorry I cannot go with you Ramza." then he can be recruited, this is probably leftover from when you initially disabled orlandu and recruiting him was impossible.
Sounds like you're using an outdated version. The latest version doesn't have that problem.

-The knights summoned by Zalera have no gear and have holy knight ability, but can't use due to no sword.
[First off, having Holy Knight skills is wrong, they're normal Knight breaks, second, probably fixed, they were set as monsters which disabled their ability for equipment]

-Meliadoul when holding the Sagittarius orb has her glove as gold from her old sprite.
Feexed

-when Delita defends Oveila from 2 Hokuten assassin's the male ninja is the navy blue Ramza's squad uses, think you could the old default ninja look, would still make him look affiliated with northern sky.
Fixed.

I'll upload the fixed version a bit later, but it's definitely coming.

ParryPupPup

Update 2.0 is finally live everybody!

ParryPupPup

Greatkain

Is the difficulty harder or the same?

ParryPupPup

Quote from: Greatkain on March 07, 2022, 03:26:34 pmIs the difficulty harder or the same?

More or less the same. possibly easier, possibly harder just depends on how you play

Nyzer

Well, the double JP makes things a bit easier, since you can get access to better skills sooner.

vicosku

Has anyone tried this on real hardware? I can get it to run in Duckstation, but not a PSIO-modded Playstation or the latest build of the PSX core on MiSTerFPGA for the past few months. The latest Lion War hack runs fine on these platforms for me, but not this one. It works fine up until the "Orbonne Monastery" text after the opening movie and before the first scene starts. (Note that this is also where the vanilla FFT release crashed on MisterFPGA until fairly recently, but it works now)

I've been dreaming of a new translation like the one described here ever since War of Lions was released on the PSP. I appreciate any help anyone can provide.  Note that I'm using PPF-O-Matic 3 and a clean bin/cue. Thanks!

3lric

Quote from: vicosku on October 17, 2022, 10:52:23 amHas anyone tried this on real hardware? I can get it to run in Duckstation, but not a PSIO-modded Playstation or the latest build of the PSX core on MiSTerFPGA for the past few months. The latest Lion War hack runs fine on these platforms for me, but not this one. It works fine up until the "Orbonne Monastery" text after the opening movie and before the first scene starts. (Note that this is also where the vanilla FFT release crashed on MisterFPGA until fairly recently, but it works now)

I've been dreaming of a new translation like the one described here ever since War of Lions was released on the PSP. I appreciate any help anyone can provide.  Note that I'm using PPF-O-Matic 3 and a clean bin/cue. Thanks!

Puppy likely added stuff with load delay or improperly configured ASMs. If they did not check for conflicts in the ASMs that would be the reason. TLW was made to work on consoles, so whatever the issue is, would be solely on this mod

ParryPupPup

Quote from: Elric on October 17, 2022, 11:22:41 amPuppy likely added stuff with load delay or improperly configured ASMs. If they did not check for conflicts in the ASMs that would be the reason. TLW was made to work on consoles, so whatever the issue is, would be solely on this mod

That's odd. I just checked the folder and the ASMs, nothing had any problems.

3lric

Quote from: ParryPupPup on October 22, 2022, 04:29:21 pmThat's odd. I just checked the folder and the ASMs, nothing had any problems.

Be that as it may. Base TLW works perfect on PSIO. Its not related to TLW. And if you added any new ASMs there is a 99.9% chance it conflicts with the DK hack.

Skorm

Quote from: vicosku on October 17, 2022, 10:52:23 amHas anyone tried this on real hardware? I can get it to run in Duckstation, but not a PSIO-modded Playstation or the latest build of the PSX core on MiSTerFPGA for the past few months. The latest Lion War hack runs fine on these platforms for me, but not this one. It works fine up until the "Orbonne Monastery" text after the opening movie and before the first scene starts. (Note that this is also where the vanilla FFT release crashed on MisterFPGA until fairly recently, but it works now)

Hey guys, just signed up because I wanted to report that I tried it on both my xStation-modded PS1 and a good old chipped PS1 with the same result as Vicosku. It crashes right after the "Orbonne Monastery" text appears. So it's not just happening on a PSIO.

I would love to play this hack on my real hardware, and I hope that maybe this issue can be fixed in a future update.

Cheers!

renegadeofunk

I'm interested in playing this, but I can't get it working in RetroArch. It freezes before the opening Orbonne scene at the 'Orbonne Monastery' text.

I'm using the Beetle HW core. I tried turning off/down extra options like internal resolution, CPU overclock, PGXP, etc and using Software Rendering but it always freezes at that same spot.

ParryPupPup

Quote from: renegadeofunk on June 08, 2023, 02:38:48 pmI'm interested in playing this, but I can't get it working in RetroArch. It freezes before the opening Orbonne scene at the 'Orbonne Monastery' text.

I'm using the Beetle HW core. I tried turning off/down extra options like internal resolution, CPU overclock, PGXP, etc and using Software Rendering but it always freezes at that same spot.

I'm unfortunately not very familiar with RetroArch. I looked intoit once or twice and I didn't find the UI very intuitive. However, I know for a fact, my mods work perfectly on DuckStation and PSXFin.