• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Patch Collaboration

Started by Archael, November 07, 2008, 10:31:40 pm

Zalge

February 05, 2009, 05:29:45 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
Well, I was annoyed by it when I first read it. And I can understand why you wouldn't exactly want to help, because you are really deep into your patch, you don't want to have to take time to come up with ideas and work on other patches. I would suggest your patch as a community patch, but I'm not sure that you would like it, or in other words, I wouldn't know if you prefer to work alone or not. I mean, a majority of people seem to support your patch, it seems like an obvious choice for a community patch... that or the other patches that already have sections...

Well, either way, I see where both of you are coming from, and Voldemort probably was being a bit too harsh, but it is really common on this site from what I've scene for people to come up with their own ideas and not follow through, just leaving their project there and not working on it at all if they work on it anymore at all. And because they still have a patch, they feel that it needs their attention when someone else has a patch that they would like to help with but they "still have their own to work on". I think that was mainly the stereotype that Voldemort was addressing, not you, Zozma.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 05:30:38 pm #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Kokojo"I don't get it, why getting angry on that.

no one here's angry

QuoteYes 80% of the pacthes in the New projects forum won't ever be completed.

Those that will die will die, and the others will be made for fun, not because it's work and its gotta be done.

The problem with this mentality is that all the time / effort / resources that went into those patches that die is a WASTE OF TIME FOR THIS SITE

QuoteBut geez, some will, and making a gigantic group to make pacthes 300% faster won't make them better. .

you seem to miss the point of the topic

it's not about cranking patches faster

it's about cranking out one big quality patch instead of 1 personal patch for every fucking member that joins the site

Archael

February 05, 2009, 05:31:20 pm #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteI think that was mainly the stereotype that Voldemort was addressing

correct

Smitson

May 20, 2009, 06:55:14 pm #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
to bump a old topic....this is a really really good idea...

LastingDawn

May 20, 2009, 07:45:56 pm #44 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
In reality... hence FFT:Complete. That's the closest thing thus far to a community project.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

May 20, 2009, 10:24:48 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Speaking of community efforts, LD.
Do me a favor and bug me about those weapon graphic edits I said I'd do this weekend pls.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

May 20, 2009, 11:33:12 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Sure... alright? Which ones were you going to look at? Smash already has the claws under control, but if you could perhaps look at changing the Dancer's cloths or the Bag (either one is fine by this point) into cards (I guess similar to Gambit), that would be great! Also if you can turn the Poles into something that look... well gun like.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

bisekibungaku

May 26, 2009, 02:06:01 pm #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by bisekibungaku
Mr. Arch's idea is a really good one.

But for it to work, you would need some sort of hierarchy. One leader with veto power.

And the others would need to swallow their elephant-sized egos.

However, there is nothing wrong with personal mods because they get you experience. They only become a problem if the modder is only willing to work toward his own vision.

Smitson

June 18, 2009, 06:08:46 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
In light of all the failed patches, and Mercenaries is the only one that looks like it's going to get finished anytime soon. I think people need to stop having the I can do it all on my own attitude then bail out when they realize that's it too much work. A group project is really the only way to go. Otherwise were going to be seeing VERY FEW FINISHED projects in the foreseeable future.

Archael

June 18, 2009, 07:16:06 pm #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Smitson"In light of all the failed patches, and Mercenaries is the only one that looks like it's going to get finished anytime soon. I think people need to stop having the I can do it all on my own attitude then bail out when they realize that's it too much work. A group project is really the only way to go. Otherwise were going to be seeing VERY FEW FINISHED projects in the foreseeable future.
exactly

Asmo X

June 19, 2009, 01:19:39 am #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Does anyone else find these new ideas a bit stale? Here is my new story and here are my job changes. Oh im changing Archer to Hunter and x to Necro and here is a list of skills that do damage and status effects. YAWN.

There probably won't ever be a community patch because people are too interested in their own projects and there definitely won't ever be one without ideas that are fresh.

Vincent and I threw out ideas like every character in the game being a monster or a drastically simplified version of the game for balance where every skillset is kind of distilled down into its essential features (or removed along with the job completely) and everything that breaks balance is removed outright. It was also a lvl1 game with no skill/item progression (everything is available at the start) and the elements were differentiated by properties (fire = range, lightning = shorter charge, ice = more damage). Also there was no brave/faith or zodiac bullshit. In the end we also wanted it to be primaries-only too because we wanted to increase the opportunity cost of choosing jobs.

Anyway neither of these ideas were quite possible but I would much rather work on something like that than the lastest pipedream fantasy story with some generic job/skill swaps.

Skip Sandwich

June 19, 2009, 04:57:02 am #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I think a monster only or even just monster-centric game would be really cool, where perhaps the humans are all special characters with set or limited class selection and the monster characters have all the jobs.

Squire becomes Wilder (demihuman, poor innate skills but can use human equipment and have higher natural stat growth), Human characters would be represented by special job classes.

Wilder is not the prerequisite for any jobs, not on its own at least, and each monster line would require levels in itself in order to progress (so only characters that entered the party with levels in say, Panther, could advance the Beast job line)
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Asmo X

June 19, 2009, 01:00:39 pm #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
I think the idea for the monster patch was sort of synonymous with our ideas for the simplified FFT patch. Monsters get less skills and no secondaries so if you split up all the useful shit in enough ways you give the player tougher choices. Anyway, it's not really possible.

Havermayer

July 27, 2009, 09:23:44 pm #53 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
Lots of people seem to want see an FFTA-ized version of FFT.  Changes to the equipment and jobs wouldn't seem that hard.  We couldn't add in any extra classes of course, so it'd be a work in progress until we can.

But that's something that we can all work on :3

Vanya

July 29, 2009, 01:26:45 am #54 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
When I think of community projects it brings to mind stuff with a larger scope like a complete job/skill overhaul with a new story.
Some of the ideas I thought were cool were remakes of Vandal Hearts, FFXII, Vagrant Story, FFTA/2,  or a real sequel/prequel to FFT. Something worth of our accumulated knowledge and talent.
The most important thing, however, is going to be a dedicated director to keep the project going and organized. It's all talk until somebody can walk.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Archael

July 29, 2009, 03:25:50 am #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Vanya"When I think of community projects it brings to mind stuff with a larger scope like a complete job/skill overhaul with a new story.
same here