• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 06:18:19 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTPatcher ENTD box question

Started by Choto, September 14, 2011, 09:37:57 am

Choto

September 14, 2011, 09:37:57 am Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:40:09 am by Choto
I'm assuming this box has something to do with how many abilities the unit knows, but does anybody know exactly how it works?

Glain

September 14, 2011, 09:58:28 am #1 Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:02:49 am by Glain
As far as I know...

That's the job level for the unlocked job. The unit will have enough JP in the job to have it at that level. If I set job level 5 to require 1500 JP, and set the unit to have the job unlocked at level 5, then the unit will have >=1500 JP (probably not much more) in that job. The AI will then spend the JP to randomly learn abilities in the job (I think based on the Chance to Learn % for each ability). So yes, in a sense it affects how many abilities are learned.

The other big part of this is that which job is unlocked also affects what JP the unit has in other jobs; If the 'job unlocked' is Mime, then the unit will also have to have all the requirements; I could use that to force the AI to have level 8 Squire and level 8 Chemist, for example. If you made Mime require job level 8 in everything and made job level 8 require a huge amount of JP, and made the unit have Mime unlocked, you could get the unit to potentially have access to every single ability available to the generic classes (though they'll only equip one secondary, one reaction, etc, of course).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Choto

Excellent, thanks! It's kind of a bummer you can't control exactly what the AI knows, but thats not a half bad option either.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

If you want to be really hardcore, make level 8 require 9999 JP.  That way, when you set an enemy to level 8 in a class, you'll know they mastered it.  But don't forget to remove Mime's requirement for level 8 in Squire and Chemist - set it to level 7 or something.

Glain

September 14, 2011, 04:06:47 pm #4 Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:07:31 pm by Glain
PGF, that will work for the unit's current class, however it won't get them tons of JP for other classes, so secondary/reaction/etc wouldn't have nearly as many options. If you want to be really hardcore, you almost want to KEEP the mime restriction to level 8 (and maybe make it require ALL classes at level 8), which makes it realllly hard to get, but also makes the AI have 9999 JP in all the prereqs.

Actually I recommend 9998 JP on the off chance that the AI learns a 9999 JP skill they're not supposed to have (Zodiac). May not be possible based on Chance to Learn, but not sure.

I have a patch that does this. Rather amusing. Bah, I should just ASM hack some way to do this without making a class absurdly hard to get.

RandMuadDib

Zodiak is set to only learn on hit, learn with jp is not checked. And before I finish this question I realize I'm dumb. Ignore me. (Byblos has to learn it somehow)
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Pickle Girl Fanboy

September 14, 2011, 04:19:39 pm #6 Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:21:39 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Quote from: Glain on September 14, 2011, 04:06:47 pm
PGF, that will work for the unit's current class, however it won't get them tons of JP for other classes, so secondary/reaction/etc wouldn't have nearly as many options. If you want to be really hardcore, you almost want to KEEP the mime restriction to level 8 (and maybe make it require ALL classes at level 8), which makes it realllly hard to get, but also makes the AI have 9999 JP in all the prereqs.

Yeah, I know, that's why I set level 7 at 3000 JP.  I don't remember what the other levels were set at, and I can't find out until I have access to a windows machine or FFTPatcher somehow grows Ubuntu support.

Also, it helps if you reduce JP costs to 2/3 of their vanilla values and remove Gained JP UP, since Gained JP UP only helps the player, and actually hurts the enemy, because they gain nothing from it and lose a Support slot.

Glain

September 14, 2011, 07:57:00 pm #7 Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:57:41 pm by Glain
That 'Learn with JP' flag only applies to the player; The AI just strolls right up and learns things with JP without even caring. The arrogance!

Totally agree about lowering the JP costs. Oddly, that's exactly what I did... lowered them by 2/3 of the original values.

You can set Chance to Learn to 0% for abilities you don't want the AI to learn. There are a bunch that don't give any benefit. These were the ones I had noticed:

Move-Find Item
Move-Get Jp
Move-Get Exp
Equip Change
Secret Hunt
Gained JP Up
Gained Exp Up
Gilgame Heart

There's probably quite a few more. Things like stealing gil, etc.