• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:54:13 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Instructor Darlavon

Started by Cheetah, August 06, 2011, 03:17:25 pm

Kagebunji

Number 2 is my favourite. 3rd is looking too sad with this moustache on, 4th is looking good, but I somehwat prefer 2. I am still interested in seeing more eye concepts though, but if you are tired, then I vote for 2.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Cheetah

I'm thinking we should have a winner out of these options, what do you all think?

1) Rudvich
2) 60 year old man
3) 60 year old man + Mustache
4) #3 + minor mustache changes
5) Simon's eyes and mustache
6) Dycedarg (eye from first post)
Current Projects:

Kagebunji

Simon really fits him the most, in my opinion.

Durbs

August 08, 2011, 12:11:36 pm #23 Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:15:00 pm by Durbs
Quote from: Kagebunji on August 08, 2011, 12:02:15 pm
Simon really fits him the most, in my opinion.

Seconded, though the 60-year-old man also looks good. The other ones just look odd.
  • Modding version: PSX

Kokojo

I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Joseph Strife

Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Tigerspike

Oh come now. That doesn't even make sense. How can flimsy paper possibly beat the raw density of stone?

Cheetah

Great, this is particularly encouraging because I threw the Simon face together really quickly and it has a few minor errors. So once I get those ironed out he should look even better. I think I will try darkening up the eyebrows as well. Should I make the symbol on his cape navy instead of white?
Current Projects:

Eternal

I'd have to see it first. Navy would certainly look more regal, but I'm not sure how it'd look with the brown.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kagebunji

I don't know how you see it, but personally I think some kind of armor on his chest would be nice, something small, like Agrias's plate. This is not a must, just an idea I had.

Cheetah

I'm with you Kage, I was almost thinking that the female Knight's breastplate could perhaps work. My other primary concern is the shorts/boots and how those white pixels just throw everything off. Chapter 2/3 Delita's body and legs might be the solution if I can get the colors to work together. Then Darlavon my get some black metal armor. Part of me wants to keep him pretty close to the original Knight design and not get this too complicated though. I will throw together some previews and we can see.
Current Projects:

Eternal

I don't like the idea of him having armor simply because he strikes me more as a scholar than a knight. </two_cents>
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Lijj

August 08, 2011, 05:55:28 pm #32 Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:57:26 pm by Lijj
Simon looks good to me, all of the other ones besides the first one posted look scared or something. Also the cape is still grey on the inside unlike the other views which is orange.. so who ever takes this on don't forget to make the views match or it'll look like it flashes in game. #5 and 6 both look good to me.
  • Modding version: PSX

Cheetah

Yeah Eternal I'm on a similar vain of thought that he can't be particularly badass looking. The black leather gloves and boots are already pushing it frankly, if any other color worked I would consider it. I will try several different things just to test them out, like the scarf, but I really don't want to make this too complicated when he already looks good. Plus if you look at the standard knight portrait they have a similar looking scarf thing as Darlavon, so that points to no need for a scarf and him being more knight like.

Good catch on the grays and dark browns Lijj, but this is how all the knight sprites are so I doubt it will be an issue.
Current Projects:

Pickle Girl Fanboy

I pictured him as a bent-over old guy with a cane.  Or as a mediator.  Doesn't his record say he only participated in one battle in the Fifty Year War?

Cheetah

He isn't that much of a fighter, but from the portrait he looks very similar to a male knight. That is what I'm basing my design off of.
Current Projects:

GeneralStrife

He's a 'book smart fighter' who never saw much field time. God I can't remember who I was going to compare him to from history, but I love this knight look. Just creepy how much you guys are obsessing over his face haha.

Cheetah

August 11, 2011, 11:22:22 am #37 Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:24:59 am by Cheetah
Okay here he is will all Simon face and a new body. I can go back to the knight body if people think it looks better, but rather a fan of this. It makes him look a bit less a warrior and maybe a bit thick around the middle. I could use some suggestions on the rear side view on his head. Oh and the front facing work took some editing to look even half decent, is it working now?
Current Projects:

Kagebunji

It looks pretty damn good to me. Instead of the sash you might want to just give him a belt, kinda like Olan's, if you want to have it at some angle. Also, how many skin colors you use? I think only two. And to fix back side view, try putting some darker gray shades in the place where skin is.

Cheetah

August 11, 2011, 12:29:43 pm #39 Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:30:58 pm by Cheetah
That is actually Olan's belt...but I maybe tried fixing it a bit much so it goes too high. I can change that and then it will look more like a belt again.

I have two skin tones plus a brown shade as a third. Why do you ask, do you think it needs better depth?
Current Projects: