• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 04:08:02 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Suggestions

Started by VincentCraven, October 31, 2007, 07:40:46 pm

Austin

March 01, 2008, 03:39:46 pm #160 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Just a few suggestions I have:
Take invitation away from Ramza's squire class- invitation is an extremely useful ability that is easily capable of changing the tide of a battle just by being used on one enemy, and it's arguably the best ability the mediator class has. I think giving it to Ramza can make the game too easy, plus he has enough perks as is. If you want to add something else to him I would suggest giving him levels 1-3 of a magic spell like bolt. Bolt 1 for chap 1, bolt 2 for chaps 2-3 and bolt 3 for chap 4. As long as his magic attack isn't too high I think this would be a good way to make him unique but not overpowered.

Give dancer/bard the other classes r/s abilities- since only males can be bards they never have the opportunity to learn and use a save and brave up, so I think those abilities should be added to the bard class, and the same thing should go for dancers except they get ma save and face(faith)up

Take hamedo off goblins- I don't think this would be a bad addition if you didn't have to go up against goblins so early on but if you have a group of nothing but squires and chemists and you're up against a group of 3 or so goblins with decent brave (ie sweegy woods) it can get to be a bit much, and I know squires can equip bow guns now but I think most people are going to go for long swords and not want to bother with bow guns until they unlock the archer class. I think a save(or would monsters use ma save? I forget...) or speed save along with counter would be good enough, maybe even both if they could work at the same time, but I'm not sure about that.(and by both I mean a/ma save with speed save not one of those and counter)

Edit: Would giving knights counter be okay? If this works like I think it does then it will give all the generic enemy knights in the game access to it without having to be trained as monks, but I'm probably wrong about that. Plus monks already have hamedo and it would make knights suck a bit less in terms of abilities.

Also I wanted to propose a different leveling system, most people probably won't like it but i'll put it out here just in case. Basically it will make it where one class leads to another instead of having to get job levels from several different classes like instead of needing archer, thief, and geomancer for ninja you'd just need lancer(and thief,archer,and squire but you wouldn't have to bother remembering since it's already been leveled.)
Here's what I have so far:
squire and chemist- no requirements
knight and archer- lvl 3 squire
monk- lvl 3 knight
thief- lvl 3 archer
geomancer- lvl 3(maybe 4) monk
lancer- lvl 3 (maybe 4) thief
samurai- lvl 4 geomancer
ninja- lvl 4 lancer
white and black mages-lvl 3 chemist
mediator- lvl 3 white mage
time mage- lvl 3 black mage
oracle- lvl 3(maybe 4) mediator
blue mage-lvl 3(maybe 4) time mage
bard/dancer- lvl 4 mediator
summoner- lvl 4 blue mage
mime-lvl 8 squire and chemist?
Some of the classes might need to be switched but I think it looks pretty good, and I like it a lot better than the current system.

Also, I think adding wish and yell to the regular squire class might be a decent idea too. Opinions?

Edit numero dos: Geez this post has gotten long, but one more idea:leg aim or arm aim for the thief class, maybe both?
  • Modding version: PSX

VincentCraven

March 01, 2008, 06:31:53 pm #161 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
=o

I kinda like the idea of Invitation on the main character, and its really not that accurate. It's certainly not as useful as yell or scream. (Which I would say should be unique to Ramza.)

I probably did forget to give bard and dancer the same r/s abilities. That's a good idea, and I don't see why not. Counter for Knight is fine too.

Hamedo off goblins? Perhaps.  I may have gone overboard with chapter 1 though. (I haven't really done much editing past Zirekile Falls.) Still, this game isn't for beginners, and by your logic, it sounds like you assume it is.

I don't really like the idea of a perfectly linear job system >.>
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Austin

March 01, 2008, 08:51:37 pm #162 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Well it's not so much that the game is too hard by goblins having hamedo (actually I think it's a good idea), it really only bothered me for the sweegy woods battle since its so early on and there isn't much to choose from besides physical attacks, and I kind of figured the job system idea wouldn't be liked but I thought I'd put it up anyways.

As for invitation I'd put it above Ramza's other abilites even with its success rate. If it were just for that battle it wouldn't really bother me but the main reason I don't like it is the fact that you get to keep the unit you invited after the battle. Why bother spending time to make your own units when you can just invite them as you go along? I always considered the time spent making your own units one of the biggest parts of the game and invite kind of takes away from that. Anyways thats just my two cents if you want to leave it I don't mind :wink:

And scream should definitely be unique to Ramza, but I don't think yell would make regular squires too powerful. A couple of speed points here and there don't affect a battle too much especially later in the game. Running around casting it for 20 turns is a totally different story, but if someone's going to bother working that hard to make the game easy they will probably do it anyways. Also what did you think about the leg/arm aim idea? Arm aim might be a bit much, but I think thieves should have a bit more to bring to the table then just stealing especially when classes like monks are so much more interesting to use.

VincentCraven

March 01, 2008, 09:34:04 pm #163 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
The Steal skill set really is good enough IMO.  I plan on making stealing a spot more useful (which also will make the enemies tougher).  Mustadio really was getting interesting, and I don't want to overshadow him by giving away his excellent skills.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Zozma

March 01, 2008, 10:07:56 pm #164 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i like mustadio being the only one with those skills too i thought about giving another skill that projects the damage formula 2D (holy sworskillsets) thru the weapon range. ( it looks like the blast that worker 8 has was it compress?) thats a pretty sweet looking skill shot out of a gun.. anyway then when i added Balthier with my own custom "Sky Pirate" set i gave that to him instead as well as a long range coin stealing skill that gives you alot money. (absorb gil) lol
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Austin

March 01, 2008, 10:17:47 pm #165 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Damn, you know somebody's good at stealing when they don't even have to be next to the person to do it :P

Asmo X

March 02, 2008, 12:29:45 am #166 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
I'm with Vincent. The only one of those changes that I find appealing are the Dancer/Bard with the same r/s and the Knight getting counter.

The steal set doesn't just net you equipment either. Taking a key enemy's weapon away can be pretty darn handy. Stealing just needs a slight boost in effectiveness.

I'm not sure why I don't know this but if you have equipment stolen during battle do you get it back afterwards?

Austin

March 02, 2008, 12:36:05 am #167 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Nope if it gets stolen or broken its gone.

Asmo X

March 02, 2008, 01:01:35 am #168 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Yeah I knew broken items disappeared and I'd change that too. This game isn't a dungeon crawler where you have to ration your resources over a long sequence of battles. Each battle in FFT is it's own strategic entity and taking your equipment and shit away for good is just spiteful and annoying.

If you're able to recuperate and get all of your health back at the end of battle, I don't see why there can't be a pretense for repairing broken weapons or retrieving stolen equipment from dead enemies. But then again, this might not be something that can be changed just yet.

Xifanie

March 02, 2008, 03:25:58 am #169 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
If we give the Knight Counter, any other reaction ability will be rendered useless. We already tried innate Weapon Guard for that matter.

Don't take Hamedo off goblins, that will make them near useless against monsters anyway, and this brings me to my idea below. At most, change the sweegy battle.

Free pet early on: People tend to overlook the usefulness of monster, maybe asking one to join after sweegy woods would result being useful (I'd say a panther).
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Austin

March 02, 2008, 09:14:09 am #170 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
I didn't mean for knight to have innate counter, I just wanted it to have it in its ability list instead of the monk. I feel like the knight class doesn't have much as far as r/s/m abilities , so giving it counter would make it a bit more interesting.

And I don't really use monsters as pets, but it sounds like a good idea for people who want to.

As for the retrieving items idea I'm kind of torn. Not being able to get your stuff back is annoying, but it adds some challenge to the game.

Xifanie

March 02, 2008, 10:05:13 am #171 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Oops, my bad. I jumped to conclusions.

The idea behind invite is simple. That will stop people from constantly resetting just because a generic crystallizes. Instead they'll pick up the crystal for teh abilities and go on with the battle then invite a new generic instead of starting with a lvl1 Squire.

And personally, every time I invited generics into my party they were stronger than my current ones. (higher level & more abilities)
Training is boring, what I want is to fight!

But, in the end... are you ever gonna find a master Black mage with mastered summon? nai.

However I haven't tried Sigma yet but I can say crystal hunting humans sounds much more beneficial than inviting them.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Austin

March 02, 2008, 10:18:53 am #172 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
I hadn't even thought about it like that. Usually whenever any of my units crystallize I just reset, and I never go crystal farming. Mayhaps it be time to switch up my tacticz...

Asmo X

March 02, 2008, 10:46:15 am #173 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Quote from: "Austin"As for the retrieving items idea I'm kind of torn. Not being able to get your stuff back is annoying, but it adds some challenge to the game.

I can't remember a single game of FFT where having my equipment broken resulted in a challenge being provided, except in the battle where it actually happened. Which is the way it should be.

Austin

March 02, 2008, 11:12:14 am #174 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Although its not as much of an issue later in the game, having to buy armor and weapons near the beginning can be expensive. If you know your items have a chance at being broken/stolen would it be better to buy top of the line equipment and have little to no money left, or would it be better to buy items that aren't quite as good, but still have some cash left over in case you need more? The challenge I was talking about doesn't have so much to do with the battle as much as it does the aftermath. Anyways, even with that its still irritating when you have to reset a battle just because some jackass stole your hard-earned, irreplaceable genji gauntlet, or when you have to walk halfway across the world map just for a new sword, so I can definitely see where you are coming from. If we have the power to make this happen someday and the majority of people want to go with your idea then you won't hear me complaining.  :wink:

Asmo X

March 02, 2008, 12:15:29 pm #175 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Yeah. And what about Draw Out? I only used Masamune and Chiri once to see what they looked like and then never used them again. I've said before, but being able to access only, say, 2 of each Katana in your stock for DO purposes would bring some proper strategy into play PROVIDED that you got the broken ones back afterwards.

Austin

March 02, 2008, 12:47:58 pm #176 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
I wasn't even thinking about katanas and draw out when I wrote that. There really isn't any reason for those to not to be unbreakable, but would we have to be able to change formulas before we could make it happen?

Asmo X

March 02, 2008, 12:51:14 pm #177 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
No I think breaking is a good idea as a strategic option in any given battle. And DO would benefit from an increased threat from breakage. It would force the player to be a bit more mindful rather than just raging Muramasas all over the place.

Austin

March 02, 2008, 12:58:18 pm #178 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
I don't think it would be that bad since the draw out moves aren't as powerful anymore. If not though the top-tier katanas need to be available in more than one or two places.

Asmo X

March 02, 2008, 01:07:44 pm #179 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
So why would I not spam Draw Out all the time then? I don't like this idea that everything settles in such a way that all you have are kickass options all the time and it's just a matter of picking the most kickass one. I prefer the idea that DO is a powerful set but with some major consequence or limitation.