• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:18:14 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

How to Correctly Replace Sprites in FFT:WoTL

Started by Fallout10mm, December 09, 2013, 06:44:42 pm

Nyzer

Quotemaybe i'll just close my eyes when an event would occur.. hehe.

Probably the best thing to do is just to use an existing standard animation instead. There's a lot you can do with those. There's a helpful post out there about them, if it helps:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8352.msg165621#msg165621
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

daryin

Is there a way to change the sprites of Dark Knight and Onion Knight?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

faoronkenlee

January 17, 2020, 09:42:19 am #22 Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 07:13:56 pm by faoronkenlee
Quote from: daryin on October 05, 2016, 05:56:57 pm
Is there a way to change the sprites of Dark Knight and Onion Knight?

probably not as ftevgrp was compiled to only handle characters from the original version of the game.

NOt unless we can convince the author to release the source code

Nyzer

I think Shishi can directly access all that now? But I haven't checked, so I could very well be wrong.

faoronkenlee

January 18, 2020, 02:49:57 am #24 Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:34:20 am by faoronkenlee
Quote from: Nyzer on January 17, 2020, 10:52:42 pm
I think Shishi can directly access all that now? But I haven't checked, so I could very well be wrong.

Now that you have mentioned it. Yup It can AHHAAHAHh.
*correction still only for the OG Cast of the game.

faoronkenlee

did a texture dump of the game We are wrong lol.
we will not be able to customize the dark knight , onion knight , Balthier, Luso sprite and portraits because THEY ARE NOT in the unit.bin Instead their Unite and portrait sprite were care fully placed on WLDFACE.BIN.
slots 97 to 102 isreserved for the unit sprites the slot 104 to 111 are for the portraits as seen below

ill attach below the in battle sprite of luso ill try to figure out in which part of the memory it is loaded. ill update you guys soon

ChuckyMclove

I'm new to sprite, I downloaded some sprites here and tried to use it on ShishiSpriteEditor, but I always get this error (Sprite size is 65536 bytes, max size is 45056 bytes) The sprites SPR file on the site is bigger than the program can read accepted, so I put the BMP file and it worked, but it doesn't change the photo on the class roulette or on the selection screen, but in battles the sprite is set correctly, what am I missing?...  :(
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

Those are the Formation sprites. They don't use the spritesheets for some reason and need to be created & imported separately.

Orkney

Hi,

You change this formation sprite with shishi. In the "other image section" choose the "UNIT.BIN (formation screen sprite)" and import your .bmp (24x40 pixel).

Here is a tutorial a bit outdated but you'll find clear explanations on how to make your own formation sprite

Celdia's tutorial

ChuckyMclove

Thanks to everyone, they made me see where I was wrong, now I downloaded the programs and I already tested everything that they taught me and it worked ...
My next step now is to create my own sprites ... Thanks to all of you ...

Orkney

Cool,

It's always a lot of fun for me to see new sprites (since i'm not able to do it my self)

Good luck and see you (and your sprites) soon.

Valens

So, noticing that the original topic of this post is 7 years old or so....

Is it still the correct way to insert formation sprites for WOTL? or has an update somewhere to something made it easier

so many posts here are so many years old, it's hard to know what exactly is still accurate

again inquiring about the PSP version (specifically formation sprites), not the PSX
  • Discord username: Valens

Jnocide

Quote from: faoronkenlee on January 19, 2020, 08:09:30 amdid a texture dump of the game We are wrong lol.
we will not be able to customize the dark knight , onion knight , Balthier, Luso sprite and portraits because THEY ARE NOT in the unit.bin Instead their Unite and portrait sprite were care fully placed on WLDFACE.BIN.
slots 97 to 102 isreserved for the unit sprites the slot 104 to 111 are for the portraits as seen below

ill attach below the in battle sprite of luso ill try to figure out in which part of the memory it is loaded. ill update you guys soon

I am modding WOTL and wanted to know how to replace, or if it is even possible to replace, luso's portrait since I cant find it in WLDFACE.BIN.
Semper Fidelis
  • Discord username: Jnocide

Jnocide

I ran into another issue where the bmp. file is too large.  I get a message that says its 43070 and that max is 43008 bytes.  Is there a way to shrink it or am I doing something wrong?
Semper Fidelis
  • Discord username: Jnocide

Nyzer

QuoteIs there a way to shrink it or am I doing something wrong
?

No to both.

darkskyx

April 13, 2022, 02:17:36 pm #35 Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 02:34:01 am by darkskyx
This post was useful but I think it is outdated, you now only need to use the program Shishi.

Also, there are a few steps that are not correctly explained in the tutorial after following Celdia's tutorial, so I had issues and I had to see other tutorials. These are:

• Use Impr + Pant on the Shishi window and saving the image in the original dimensions (24x40 & 32x48) for the UNIT & WLDFACE in the Sprites section. (You don't really need to use Graphics Gale for that. I used Paint as it was faster for me to use).
  • Convert your images that are gonna be in UNIT.BIN & WLDFACE.BIN to BMP files that should be in 16bits colors [4bpp format]. (Again, you can use many programs for this step and I used GraphicsGale and sometimes Photopea, that it is an online tool).
  • I did a test and UMDGen didn't work to me for saving so I used UltraISO that I had installed and it works perfectly.

This is what worked for me, because you can use other programs for the same results.

Here's a useful post about some errors you may get. I had to use this video to understand it. You might follow a few more steps if you have a custom sprite and not just another palette.

P.S: @Fallout10mm Quote my useful info in your post if you want.

(Edit: The next info is from my FAQ from the hackmod I'm doing, also useful)
· If you wanna do something more advanced, like adding new portraits for different spritesheets, you need to follow Celdia's tutorial exactly, but I found a better way... once you understand it, of course. It was so hard to understand for me as I tried everything until something worked. Here's a message that solved one of my issues with new portraits:
Quote from: Xifanie on July 09, 2017, 04:36:12 pmI guess you didn't get that Celdia's tutorial is now pretty pointless.

In GG, open the bmp of the sprite, crop to the portrait, rotate it.
Select All & Copy (ctrl+c) (if you choose to load from clipboard in the next step)
Click the down arrow button under the palette colours, choose Load Palette/File/Load From Clipboard (or from file)
Copy the portrait's palette row (9th row unless you want a different one) to the 1st palette row. Then select the 9th row in the first box, and the 1st row in the second box, uncheck Match Pixels with Colors.
All Frames/Color Depth, choose 4bpp, OK.
Unfortunately, that will likely fuck up your palette's order (which is important), so you'll have to reimport the palette from file, selecting the original sprite's file and copy the 9th row to the 1st row again, but this time with Match Pixels with Colors.
Save the bmp and import in Shishi.
Basically to create a new portrait you need to first download the original WLDFACE portrait with Shishi. Then, you need to follow the instructions above. Once you have done it you will end up with a messy image (THIS IS COMPLETELY NORMAL AND I DIDN'T KNOW IT). Now you can use this messy image to paste it in the skillset you are going to edit. When you have done that, then you have to go to Palette editor, click in your first palette and it will be fixed.
  • Modding version: WotL

✪ Emergence 2 for PSP (EN/ES) - Play it now! ✪
A vanilla+ experience for PSP. Actual patch: 1.0+. More fixes in v1.1!
  • Discord username: darkskyx#9825

zkl

Hello! Pretty new to modding the PSP version and while editing Cloud's Sprite to his AC version found on the site, this error occurs. Can anyone help me with a fix or workaround?

darkskyx

Quote from: zkl on December 10, 2022, 01:55:02 pmHello! Pretty new to modding the PSP version and while editing Cloud's Sprite to his AC version found on the site, this error occurs. Can anyone help me with a fix or workaround?

I'm not an expert editing sprites (I only did replacements of portraits, fixing pixels and changes to palettes...) and it is a very hard work (also very susceptible to errors) but you can see in the message that there is a limit for your image and you are using more bits. Try to open your project in Photopea (online tool) and save it as BMP, see if the size gets smaller.
If this doesn't work, open the original/unedited Cloud BMP in GraphicsGale and paste your edit there. Do the same, see if the size gets smaller. This 2nd option is usually better.

I can't help more with this issue but most of the time I had that issue I fixed this way.

It's all in my WoTL FAQ.

✪ Emergence 2 for PSP (EN/ES) - Play it now! ✪
A vanilla+ experience for PSP. Actual patch: 1.0+. More fixes in v1.1!
  • Discord username: darkskyx#9825