• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:50:13 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

We need MOAR Monsters

Started by CONMAN, May 29, 2011, 08:33:15 pm

CONMAN

Quoteok so it would be quite nice for that little boy sprite to be done.

Ya, I didn't immediatly notice that when i started playing around with that sprite.  It still needed singing, dead and one of the heads fixed, correct?

I started messing around looking at monsters in game to mess around with and was inspired by a post from way back to alter Altima2.  I think every final fantasy needs some kind of kaiser/czar dragon in it.  To make this sucker work bone appendages need to be fleshed out and I think the robe could be converted into a tail. (I f'd up the robe->tail trying tinker with it)

I wanted to add some spikes to the shoulders, but got annoyed and decided to let that wait.  The shoulders should probably be rounded where they connect to the body, and this guy needs some new feet.  The untouched tiamat head should be spiced up but I think this thing could be worked out.

• Modding version: PSX

RavenOfRazgriz

I'm not feeling this one much, CONMAN.  Something about the entire concept is off... I think it has to do with the fact it's basically a humanoid dragon floating around in the derpiest stance ever.  (Not your fault, Altima 2's sprite is itself derpily posed and only really works because of how much of it is basically a skeleton.)

I think the only way to work a Dragon of into Altima 2's spritesheet proportions would be to make it a proper chinese-style coiling dragon where it can be heavily vertically focused without looking too weird... but that's a 100% custom sprite.  I guess it has the benefit of not having many frames? 

I'm just really not seeing this work too well, myself, unless you go less pure-dragon and more armored dragon humanoid with thicker legs, less focus on the tail aspect, etc.  That might work, thinking on it, but I'd have to see it, since the top of the sprite doesn't look that bad if you convert its body to looking more armored than scaled.

CONMAN

January 31, 2012, 05:29:21 pm #122 Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:41:59 pm by CONMAN
Ya- I looked back at him after I posted and really didn't like the close arm very much and the whole thing felt like it would be pretty tough.  The fact that there are so few frames was very alluring- but with fewer things to do more exactness and detai would be required.  I think this is one of those cases where the excitement of doing something new didn't allow for an objective look at what could be done very well.

Seriously though I would love to find a way to make an excellent boss/monster out of the altima/altima2 sprite sheets.  No doubt it would be epic.  

Since i'm on the subject- and I'm looking at the emoticons- I always thought that we could use a "humping Altima" gif...... Don't act like you dont know what I mean- pull up shishi and look take a look at her animations.

Jon

Sorry but I seriously LOLed. This is pretty awkward. Its Fallen Angel Altima with a hydra head swap? Wtf?? Oh well, it would be cool if you had more room for the whole body width-wise, not height wise. Its like maybe possible to make a weird version of Leviathan if you wanted with the head towards the bottom and the end of the tail where the head currently is, or like Raven said, a coiled dragon like in FF IV, the Ryus in the moon.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Kagebunji

Here is some old stuff I graberobbed lng time ago from Spriting. Griever, but this is in jpg, sadly.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

CONMAN

I've been slowly tinkering and playing around some since my last post and I thought I would show off what I had been crapily attempting.
  I finished the sheet for my generic-prince sprite.

I decided to try and finish an R999 sprite that he had demo'd.  A "new" balk sprite sheet.  It needs an actual head- but it's about 75% finished.

Also I wanted to work on a female demon sort of thing.  unfortunately I ran into a problem I hoped someone could explain to me*.  I wanted to use the itsy-bitsy sprite as a base, slap on some f-thief legs, add some dancer arms, pin a tail on it, recolor the skin into a red and add some kind of horned head on it.

*I manually added dancer arms to the first 5 frames and then copied the first series of arms from the dancer(type2 arms) onto the itsy-bitsy(originally a type 1 sheet).  I opened up shishi and changed the settings to type 2 and the arms were completely off.  Tried again as type 1 and it wasn't looking right.  I thought I might need to shift all the arms over a pixel's length and it still didn't match.  Might I need to moved the pairs of arms closer together to make this work?  I 'm going to do work this out, but I figured someone had this same problem before and they could enlighten me.  I think I saw this same problem on the sentinal sprite I downloaded.....

GeneralStrife

conman, my avatar port I made would be a nice port for your monk king guy probably

CONMAN

I like the look of it. I tried to make my own, but I really wanted to put a jewel on it and couldn't make it work.

GeneralStrife

hmm...acually that head with my shoulders would be even better. Don't you think the sprite's headgear looks more like a crown than a headband though? It's your sprite.

CONMAN

The shoulders are definately more regal/ and would seem to fit right.  And you are right- it just looks like a gold colored head band on that portait, when it looks more like a crown on the sprite as intended.  Honestly- though I don't think the one on your avatar looks all that much better.  Some reworking would be necessary.

GeneralStrife

I was only talkin about the shoulders on mine, steal crown from omdoria or his wife and color it gold like your sprite's

Kagebunji

GS, I have been quite curious lately, you claim you did your avatar, but how come it is uploaded here?

http://www.fucandofft.blogger.com.br/

It's been on that site for a long time too.

GeneralStrife

ahaha, no I did not really make it. and there's the war chocobo portrait so you found the place. too bad it's fuzzy from being enlarged

Kagebunji

Then why you wrote this

Quotemy avatar port I made

And this

Quotethere's no sprite to it, just something I made while fooling around.

Seriously, stop lying about such stuff. I dunno if you thought no one will notice it or w/e, but I guess it didn't work, huh.

GeneralStrife

Celdia

Bad form, GS.

No one would have thought less of you if you'd just said you found it on another site. They would have just been curious about anything else from the source until it was realized that the source is a few years old already and we've actually seen it all before.

Now you just come off as a liar and a thief.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Jon

Wow, on that site is something creepy. Way down towards the bottom there is a sprite that looks a bit like Minwu (FF II) which seems to be a cross between that mean Ninja and Rofel. Now not kidding, I made a cross between Kletian and Rofel once and it looked almost exactly like that! Freaky!

And yeah, don't do that please from now on GeneralStrife, I know that feelin' when someone steals your shit and claims it as their own, its painful...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Lijj

troll drollery

CONMAN

And now for my bi-monthly update post:

I completed the r999 prototype for new balk (sans the head).  I don't really like the balk's head so I tried to make an older looking delita head (just color swapping) to be a suitable replacement, and then a couple of days later noticed it looked just like the head on the Banon custom sprite... tempted to just tag that on anyway and call it a day.  I kind of wanted to take Elmdor's hair recolor it red and add a beard, but it didn't seem right for the sprite.

Always moving (slowly) onto something new without completely finishing the old.....

My low level of actual spriting skill combined with my love of mix-matching sprites to find something cool looking gave me an idea yesterday......MAGNETO!!!   

I can't be the only person who thinks the float/fly animation looks ridiculous on human sprites because they are "walking on air".  Why not keep the legs still for a character meant to have permanent float/fly.  I figured why couldn't I just remove the ten pairs of walking arms make them relaxed or slightly bent to suggest the use of power (Couldn't find a good pic on google show what I'm thinking).

Anyway- recolored knight+twinee's dart body+ restructured red ranger helmet(Lijj)= my vision of Magneto: (just noticed it looks funny on the helmet on the zoom)

Lijj

Conman, this is wonderful, you just got to get rid of the helmet's eyes on 2 views. Magneto rules \o/ and the purple cape looks awesome with red armor.