• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:15:01 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

New knight for my Classics Edition hack.

Started by Vanya, July 21, 2008, 12:51:15 am

Vanya

July 21, 2008, 12:51:15 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Here's a sample of my new knight for my Classics patch:

Knight Classic v0.1

Delita shouldn't be the only one with cool armor. I'm thinking of using the Onion Knight's helmet as a base for this dude's headgear. What do you guys think?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

July 21, 2008, 12:54:39 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
As always your revisions are envious, hehe. Cannot wait till completion!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

July 21, 2008, 12:58:40 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Thanks! =)
I'll post updates as more of him gets done. Do you think I should add the helmet?
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

July 21, 2008, 01:38:40 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
A helmet would certainly look interesting on a Knight... to say the least.

Art of War

Cyberblade

July 21, 2008, 02:00:07 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cyberblade
Give it a spiked helmer with a brown cape with the gathered *Fabric*
behind his head make it a bear head and you have a viking XD

Kenshin72

July 21, 2008, 02:40:45 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kenshin72
You always make cool lookin sprites Vanya!

Zozma

July 21, 2008, 03:45:05 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
great sprite vanya i would love to have a copy of it when your done. i love your work.
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Cheetah

July 21, 2008, 05:25:20 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
The cape might be a little too white, but it looks good. I would definitely recommend trying out a helmet to see how it turns out. Oh and that stupid little cowl/hump on the capes always drives me nuts, but I don't know what you want to do with it.
Current Projects:

Asmo X

July 21, 2008, 07:58:13 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Good job.

Vanya

July 21, 2008, 10:08:45 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Cyberblade"Give it a spiked helmer with a brown cape with the gathered *Fabric*
behind his head make it a bear head and you have a viking XD

That's an interesting idea! I might just look into it some time. =)

Quote from: "Kenshin72"You always make cool lookin sprites Vanya!
Quote from: "Zozma"great sprite vanya i would love to have a copy of it when your done. i love your work.
Quote from: "Asmo X"Good job.

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate the encouragement! I will, of course, be submitting it to the main site. I'll post it here first, too. =)

Quote from: "Cheetah"The cape might be a little too white, but it looks good. I would definitely recommend trying out a helmet to see how it turns out. Oh and that stupid little cowl/hump on the capes always drives me nuts, but I don't know what you want to do with it.

Thank you for the CC, dude.
I was thinking that while i was editing the palette. I was hesitant to change it for two reasons. The first thing is that that color is shared with the eyes. The second is that since the cloak shares colors with the armor I wanted them to be distinctive from each other.
I never really minded the cowl. I guess it just makes sense to me for it to be there. I'm open to experimentation, so I'll try removing. I'll post a preview along with some alternate palette work. I'd like to have so that cloak can be recolored on it's own without affecting the armor. =)
¯\(°_0)/¯

Tersius

July 21, 2008, 11:32:08 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tersius
I think the cowl is fine (definitely doesn't look as funny as the male priest's cowl).  However, if you are planning on adding a helmet it would be out of place.  There's really no practical use for a cowl then because it won't fit over the helmet.

Vanya

July 21, 2008, 01:42:44 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Not entirely true. depends on the size of the cowl. Besides, the helmet won't be nearly as big as any of the others in the game.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

July 21, 2008, 07:10:48 pm #12 Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:09:55 am by Vanya
Here is the helmeted knight:

See? Smaller helmet. I think the face thingy might be too bright. What do you guys think?

Here's a new modification:

Third version:

Slightly different. I removed some of the points, but it animates better this way. should I leave them or put them back?

Final?:

Now with chest armor! =)
¯\(°_0)/¯

Cheetah

July 21, 2008, 07:45:46 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Ah wow that looks real good. I would maybe see what it looks like without the helmet ring going around the back. It looks good as is though too.

All the angles for the helmet look perfect except for the Front Side very. And by not perfect I mean maybe just change it by a few pixels. On the left side (from our view) just make it level out a bit longer before slooping down to make it look just barely wider. This is a super knickpicky thing that doesn't even need to be done if you don't care. I only mention it because the front side view is pretty much the most important, and if you want to add a little movement to the helment during walking animations it will be important to get it just right.

On the front view maybe take a pixel or two off the top of the cape so his head doesn't look so squashed.

I hope I don't sound overly critical, I just am really liking this sprite and it is good to get all these ideas out there before you do more of the frames.

The helmet is so good, you could try messing with his body armor and cape to make him even more differentiated from the knight.
Current Projects:

Zozma

July 21, 2008, 08:06:46 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i would actually like to see the completion of that v0.1 sprite you've got there

(of course i want to see the helmet one too, but id like to use the really white one with the blonde hair for random encounters of generic holy knights)
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Vanya

July 21, 2008, 08:46:39 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Cheetah"Ah wow that looks real good. I would maybe see what it looks like without the helmet ring going around the back. It looks good as is though too.

All the angles for the helmet look perfect except for the Front Side very. And by not perfect I mean maybe just change it by a few pixels. On the left side (from our view) just make it level out a bit longer before slooping down to make it look just barely wider. This is a super knickpicky thing that doesn't even need to be done if you don't care. I only mention it because the front side view is pretty much the most important, and if you want to add a little movement to the helment during walking animations it will be important to get it just right.

On the front view maybe take a pixel or two off the top of the cape so his head doesn't look so squashed.

I hope I don't sound overly critical, I just am really liking this sprite and it is good to get all these ideas out there before you do more of the frames.

The helmet is so good, you could try messing with his body armor and cape to make him even more differentiated from the knight.

You're not being too critical at all. I appreciate the criticism.
Anyway, about the Front Side, I'll probably leave it because that is how the original artist did it. I *may* try mod'ing it, but I think it's good enough.

And about the cape in the front view... Good eye! I added some extra pixels. I didn't like it and was going to remove them, but I forgot.

Thanks for the input! =)
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

July 21, 2008, 08:50:14 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Zozma"(of course i want to see the helmet one too, but id like to use the really white one with the blonde hair for random encounters of generic holy knights)

I was thinking that as I was posting the helmeted one. I'll do them both, but the newer one will take priority since I'm going to use it in my hack. I'm glad you like them! =)
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

July 22, 2008, 12:41:57 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I updated the helmeted knight post with a new modification. Feedback, plz! =)
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

July 22, 2008, 12:48:50 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Looks good, the smaller helmet really fits a normal knight, the enlarged helm, in retrospect looks a little odd.

Art of War

Cheetah

July 22, 2008, 01:11:00 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
The removale of the band around the back looks much better.

Bringing down the cape for the front view was good, you might even be able to get away with one more pixel down, but it might be too much.

The front side view adjustments are actually on the opposite side of the visor that I was talking about. But it actually still looks better. So I think it is good to go.

Any other adjustments I didn't notice?
Current Projects: