• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

What can we currently do?

Started by Ryu, May 26, 2009, 07:59:37 pm

Ryu

May 26, 2009, 07:59:37 pm Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:20:46 pm by Ryu
First of all I'd like to say Hello to everyone on these forums ^^ I've been reading various things and messing around with hex editing so far and now I'm starting to get into spriting. This isn't one of those questions about how to change sprites and make sprites etc. Instead I'd like to know if the Attack command still shows the original sprite instead of the new one you changed it to. Also, can we change the sprites displayed on the job wheel yet? If not what types of work-arounds are there besides not using the Attack command or the generics for getting the most out of the custom sprite experience?

Zozma

May 26, 2009, 08:07:41 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
the sprites are fully alterable in nearly every aspect.

the types can be changed makig all the arms and parts connect properly.

the menu sprites can now be changed as well, but(this is the "nearly" part that i was referring to) they have to be the jobs that already have an existing menu sprite, we can't add new ones to jobs that never had it

this also includes job 12 (Dead Malak), job 14 (Final Alma), job 1C (Teta) allthough it might not appear so, the sprites seen in the menu for them are just leftover junk
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Ryu

May 26, 2009, 08:20:26 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
By "an existing menu sprite" do you mean the sprites that are displayed on the formation menu where you change your unit's equipment and change jobs etc.?

So you're basically saying that any sprite that can normally be displayed on this menu at some point in the game can be changed, right? Such as generic character sprites and the guest characters that you can eventually add to your party?

Zozma

May 26, 2009, 08:43:42 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah, any job that can be seen in the menu at some point in the game,
generifcs, specials that join, guests,

also including balmafula, olan, and simon

Ryu

May 26, 2009, 09:19:03 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
Ah okay, thanks Zozma ^^

So far, I plan on changing the sprites for a few generic characters only. Would you recommend that I use the expansion patch or is it not really necessary?

Zozma

May 26, 2009, 09:27:17 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yes, first use the expansion patch, and then use the latest version of shishi which should ask you to "reconstruct" your iso (if it doesn't then its probably not the latest version)

Ryu

May 26, 2009, 09:35:33 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
K ^^

I have a question totally unrelated to this topic for you Zozma, just a quick, simple question. Have you or Vanya ever found the value for the "Throw" ball/bomb effects after the item effects in BATTLE.BIN?

Zozma

May 26, 2009, 09:42:47 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
they seem to be hard coded to show those lvl1 elemental effects  :( unfortunately we have not found where exactly those are assigned

Ryu

May 26, 2009, 09:56:59 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
Darn ;_; This is why I figured changing the sprites of the generic characters could help me come up with the ninja idea I have. Like, "removing" Ninja from the game by setting it's job requirement to lv. 8 Ninja, then taking one of the characters I don't care for like Mediator/Orator and changing it's sprite to the Ninja Sprite, THEN renaming the job and "Talk Skill" through hex editing or FFTacText if it works and adding my own customized versions of the Truth and Un-truth spells to create a Ninjutsu skillset.

I'd name some of the abilities Katon (fire), Doton (earth), Suiton (water), Huton (wind), Hyoton (ice), and Raiton (lightning). But I'm having a problem making with the ice one, Hyoton. I have no idea how to change the sound of space Storage (the move I'd use to create Hyoton). I also plan on adding a status ailment to each of them, something that corresponds to it's element. Katon would inflict berserk, Suiton would inflict frog, Doton would inflict slow, etc.

Zozma

May 26, 2009, 10:03:58 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i turned rafa and malak into those kind of "ninja" they had 3 skills
"fire skean"
"water skean"
"thunder skean"

which i guess i could give those names. anyway their skills have a draw out radius and i used triple flame, triple thunder, and a custom water effect to make them. but they were guests only so no one gets to have those skills in your party.

Ryu

May 26, 2009, 10:14:51 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
I like those names, they sound familiar... were they in FFVI? It's been so long since I played FFVI...

I stole mine from the FFXI ninjutsu lol

Zozma

May 26, 2009, 10:20:19 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah ffvi shadow's throwing items

Ryu

May 26, 2009, 10:28:57 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
Shadow was awesome...

I'm a ninja fanatic :P and a blue mage fanatic but I haven't worked on a blue magic skillset yet, I want to see if I can make a blue mage sprite first. I HAVE looked at how some of the monster skills look on humans though. I'm just afraid that if I change the battle animation for some of them, the monsters would look silly when they use their skill

Smash

May 26, 2009, 10:34:33 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Pardon my intrusion, but, hey Zozma, how the hell can you edit effect files..? I've been in need of a decent water spell as of late, and the elemental isn't enough..

I must have missed the tut for this.

And Ryu:  WELCOME TO FFH, WHERE ALL OF YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE

Ryu

May 26, 2009, 10:39:41 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Ryu
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=260 Scroll down a bit and Vanya has a Tut

And thank you Smash ^^ love your Kent, Sain, and Cavalier sprites!

Smash

May 26, 2009, 10:48:31 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Thnx.

Tile molester, heh.
I remember I downloaded that program some months ago on TSR for the sole purpose of ripping sprites.

Zozma

May 27, 2009, 12:04:48 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
smash, ill send you my water effects if you'd like

i made a watera effect based on bio2

and a waterga effect based on bio3. actually here they are for e'erbody

note: the effect number i have there is the number of the effect file i inserted it into for my own patch
-------------

i actually used 3 programs, tile layer pro and snespal (for finding the hex locations of the color palettes), and a hex editor to copy and paste color palette data from one effect to another. as you might guess, i copied "hydragon pit" colors and pasted them into bio2 and bio3 and then used tyle layer pro to copy/paste the bubbles. Bio 1 does not work the same way as it still tints the screen an undesirable color, like green or pink

here are some extra's too.
Ice Soul turned into "earth soul" and a Purple Cure 1

Smash

May 27, 2009, 02:08:47 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Epic.

Now, to find out how to apply them.

Zozma

May 27, 2009, 02:13:30 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
smash its easy

effect 216 for example is one of the bio effect files

(i consolidated all the bio spells into just the 3 green ones so i have extra spell slots to use, who the hell needs 10 versions of bio for what should just be 3 fucking spells lol)

you can use cdmage or i use cdprog and insert THIS file into the effect slot that you want to write over. in my case i inserted each of these over the effect number you see them labled as

beware that not all effects are compatible with being inserted over just any other effect. some work fine and others crash or freeze the game.