• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

New spells...

Started by Zozma, January 21, 2008, 09:59:07 pm

Vanya

January 21, 2009, 07:38:54 am #320 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Sweet! That proves that the effect files have animation code in them! I wonder if they use ASM code? They don't seem to use compression at all, so maybe they should be run through a MIPS disassembler? ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Cheetah

January 21, 2009, 12:24:19 pm #321 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Hey Vanya. If you up load all the graphics you have of the spells that you got from that other site I would be happy to help decode this stuff as well :). You said you were going to put them in the wiki. Though really they should have a home on the homepage.
Current Projects:

Vanya

January 21, 2009, 02:28:00 pm #322 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Here are all the effect file images in jpeg. ^_^

Thay're in the exact same order that they appear in the pull-down list in the patcher. ^_^

Have fun!!
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

January 21, 2009, 04:28:10 pm #323 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
does this also mean that the tinting of the screen probably is a hex value for a color rather than an actual color value i can find in snespal? ... sigh.. finally i had created a good looking water spell (hydragon pit doesnt spread! and i never noticed that)
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Vanya

January 21, 2009, 05:12:01 pm #324 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That is more than likely the cast. When ever I've had to mess with an effect that had tinting I just configured the palette to take the tinting into account. There are some that I'd like to remove altogether, though. Like I'd like to prevent the Don't Move effect from making the whole background pale white. ^_^

Any way, you now have all the tools to zero in on the palettes and image in each file. Once you have those accounted for the remaining bytes have to contain the animation data. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

January 21, 2009, 05:40:27 pm #325 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
sigh, unfortunately to create a watera effect out of bio1 theres no configuring around the tinting... i tried to recolor the black bio1, but it seems to remain totally dark :/

Vanya

January 21, 2009, 07:58:33 pm #326 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Here's the thing to do next.
Mind you it's very tedious and will probably induce suicide.
Go through the part of the file that IS NOT the image or the palette and change one byte at a time until you see a change.
See? I told you it was tedious. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

January 21, 2009, 08:51:03 pm #327 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
thats pretty what i did, only with snes pal instead of a hex program.

sorry but that is way too tedious for me...

sigh, i think this is absolutely the least priority for most ppl lol... oh well

Zozma

February 14, 2009, 12:57:25 pm #328 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
Dominic, this is an important topic... perhaps it doesn't belong here anymore? but wherever it moves can we get it stickied

Zozma

April 29, 2009, 08:57:24 pm #329 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
a side note, color palettes are always 200 bytes long even if they dont use all of it and their locations can easily be found using "snespal" and then easily copied/pasted using a hex editor

Vanya

April 30, 2009, 04:02:11 pm #330 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
The exact locations are different depending on the size of the effect file. The addresses are easy to find with a calculator.
¯\(°_0)/¯

GreenGiant

So, let's say someone wanted to work on figuring out what the animation bytes did, what do you guys think would be the best way to go about that?

Vanya

You mean the bytes in the animation tab of the patcher, or the animation data in the effect files?
¯\(°_0)/¯

GreenGiant

The animation data in the effect files.

Vanya

I'd say begin by using my tutorial to zero in on the data that is likely for animation by ruling out the known graphics data.
Then get a disassembler for MIPS ASM, and see whet you can make out.

An alternative method, is to load a file into a hex editor and start changing data byte by byte.
¯\(°_0)/¯

FelixFlywheel

Whoa! New spells would be amazing!  I suggest creating an Aero spell series for the white mage!  Please give Bio magic to the black mage as well.  They're meant to have it. XP

Zozma

you are aware that ive already created effect files for the Aero set, Tornado being the 4th tier

i have also done the same for Water and earth but earth is lacking a lvl3 effect that looks decent

Zozma

another recolor

Vicent

I have a doubt I wanted to know how to find the bin type of skill I edited an effect
I want to add in a magic, wonder how I discovered it in the bin cd

Vanya

What exactly do you mean by bin type?
¯\(°_0)/¯