• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:19:29 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFVI Hardtype 1.2 (Updated February 3, 2012)

Started by Eternal248, November 10, 2009, 12:14:32 am

Dies_Irae777

I got to the convergence battle, and got seriously owned by Kefka like 10 times until I beat his androgynous ass. I am now stuck at Dadaluma, with everyone at around level 13. Is it possible to beat him, considering he maxes out his health after awhile. I am considering starting a new game due to the fact I didn't realy grind at all.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Eternal

No, it's very possible to beat him. He only restores his health once per battle, so after that you can start beating him down!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

LastingDawn

Quote from: "Dies_Irae777"I got to the convergence battle, and got seriously owned by Kefka like 10 times until I beat his androgynous ass. I am now stuck at Dadaluma, with everyone at around level 13. Is it possible to beat him, considering he maxes out his health after awhile. I am considering starting a new game due to the fact I didn't realy grind at all.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Also Do Not steal from him. Fairy Ring might seem good in the short term, but it's not worth the horrible counters you get from him (he'll toss a few extra knives and weapons your way, almost guaranteeing an instant kill each time)
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Lijj

I had to crop a bunch.  It's 40/40  px.
  • Modding version: PSX

Tigerspike

I've always loved FFVI, and your patch sounds great.  I look forward to trying it out!

On a side note, am I the only person that thinks of this
when you learn Edgar's full name?
Oh come now. That doesn't even make sense. How can flimsy paper possibly beat the raw density of stone?

Skip Sandwich

I just finished playing through Super Robot Taisen OG, and ready to give hardtype a try (about damn time!). Now the new changes you're making are probably severe enough to count as sequel to hardtype rather then merely an update, so I just wanted to know if you have some sort of Hardtype Neo beta patch or if i'll just have to work on the original HardType until you do?
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Eternal

If I were to make a patch right now, the only thing that would be in are the limited spells for characters, equipment spell system, equipment weight system, changed Espers, and new growth system. So yeah... wouldn't be much. Wait a little longer. ^_^
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Eternal

Behold, Biggs' and Wedge's new Magitek skillset! (At least for now, until I make some new abilities for them.)

Kagebunji

I have a cool idea, make their sprite without helm, it will make them more unique!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Skip Sandwich

@New MagiTek
i'm assuming that Biggs and Wedge's new skillsets will also transfer to the Imperial Base and Cyan's Dream sequences, right?

@Hardtype
hit my first wall at Tunnel Armor, so i'm reverting to an earlier save to grind a few extra levels at Lete River
:EDIT: finished grinding up to level 16, just enough to get everybody up to ~500hp, my hope is that by the time I get back to Tunnel Armor, i'll have enough hp to survive a split level 2 spell. Incidentally, have you raised Tunnel Armor's mp pool, or is waiting till it runs out of mp before starting your attack still a viable strategy?
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

Eternal

Regarding Biggs and Wedge, yes, their skillsets should also transfer to non-Terra characters in the Dreamscape sequence.

Regarding Tunnel Armor, there's really no need for the grind. The key is timing Runic just right- and you can totally ward away its level 2 magic. It's like a rhythm game- just get the pattern down. =P

Skip Sandwich

well, I just keep getting hit with a situation where it'll cast a spell, I catch it with runic, immediately use runic again, and get hit with another spell before my next runic can activate, resulting in a 1HTPK (one-hit total party kill), so I need the hp buffer.
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Skip Sandwich

Beat Doomtrain on a lucky run where it never used Death and only used Roulette once. Now to go on to the Veldt and grab my second favorite character, Gau!
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Eternal

Very nice work on Doomtrain! Hopefully the Piranhas don't give you too much trouble. Remember, Cyan's countering SwdTech is more useful than you'd think. ;)

Archael

Skip Sandwich

Blazed through the veldt and Tunnel Armor with no difficulties this time, got to the Narshe battle sequence, owned Kefka's face with Runic and Stray Cat rage, then forgot to save like a moron and have to do it all over after getting wasted by the VERY FIRST RANDOM ENCOUNTER IN KHOLIGEN. :cry:
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Skip Sandwich

Almost failed at the opera house, now getting my ass handed to me in the magitek factory. Also, I was suprised to see that espers still gave stat ups in hardtype. In any case, i'm keeping a save file of my group right after zozo, before gaining any esper levels, so that I might attempt a NMG run after beating hardype normally (assuming that I even want to attempt it at that point, which I probablly will, since hardtype will be the ONLY time I will have ever completed a non NMG run of FFVI)
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Eternal

Yeah, I kind of had to keep the Esper stat growth at the time, since I didn't know there was an ASM out there for natural stat growth. In the updated version of Hardtype, there won't be Esper stat growth at all, and Espers will be best used for summoning. Hope you're enjoying Hardtype! ^_^

Skip Sandwich

Posting from the campus computer lab right now, will play some more Hardtype later. Still wandering around the Magitek Factory, taking my time since the Magitek Factory theme is my favorite area music in the game *duh duh dunnn da-duhduhdada duh duh DUH DA dud-da da*. That being said, i'm personally not sold on the natural stat growth as an alternative to fixed character stats, especially since all the damage formulas take character level into consideration anyway, I mean, you can still hit 9999 damage in a standard NMG fairly easily by morphed rod breaking, or simple level grinding, so increasing stats via level up just makes it easier to do more damage sooner, something that just doesn't sit quite right for me, at least in a patch that is at least partly a hardtype patch. Besides, if natural stat growth works like esper growth, then you can't have fractional increases to base stats, right? So unless some characters don't grow at all in some stats, they will all have stats of at least 60 come end game (level 40-50, +1/level growth), and likely have already maxed out their primary stat (+2/level growth).
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Eternal

Update!

-The Dragons Eight will be using their Dragon's Den attack scripts and stats, meaning if you never got that far in the GBA version, you can face them here!

-Lores will be primarily learnable by teaming up with Relm, and Sketching/Controlling enemies. To this end, if you're using Strago, you should probably bring around Relm.

-Not very important to the player, but enemies are split into "genuses" now, for reference. Each genus has a specific Lore to be learnt, either by Control/Sketch, or individually by each monster in that genus by performing a very specific action. So experiment!

-Gau won't be able to equip much armor (with the exception of a few things, like the Tiger Mask, Snow Scarf, etc.), so his primary defenses will come from Rages. This means you'll need to know which attacks enemies use, and choose a proper Rage to deal with the situation, since Gau's stats and status comes from the Rages he uses.

-Rods are no longer breakable. You can constantly use a Rod to cast a weaker spell for free.

-Many bosses will no longer fight alone. Expect the enemy to use backup!

-There may well be a surprise enemy from earlier in FFVI to be found somewhere in the WoR to battle. Who is it? It's a secret...

Note, though, that everything is tenative. If, during testing, things don't quite work out, I may have to exclude some stuff.