• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:17:12 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Fix WOTL effects lag issue?

Started by joseweig, August 02, 2010, 01:34:51 pm

joseweig

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forms and to fft hacking. I wanted to know if anyone has attempted to hack fft wotl in order to fix the effects lag issue. Or if it is even posible.

Thanks.

joseweig

ffta707

I thought of that. I don't play WOTL because of that reason, that and firmware and all of that. But it would be some sort of assembly hack. Maybe some of our ASM hackers could find a static byte that changes it. I don't no why they would put that slowdown on it, if you ask me it makes the game unplayable.

joseweig

yeah it definetely ruined it for me as well. I just read a thread where people where discussing this but the discussion ended in nothing :/

here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2673

ffta707

I think it is definitely a possibility, but  it may take time. I'm not much of an ASM hacker if at all, but I might look into this. I would play WOTL again.

Kaijyuu

In all likelyhood it will require rewriting some routines. FFT (supposedly) was rebuilt from the ground up for the PSP and not just emulated, like some ports. Whatever routine draws the effects is probably really inefficient.
  • Modding version: PSX

ffta707

We'll say that it was bad on square's part. I'm not sure if the asm hackers here are even willing to try it. It is probably a very tedious task, and would take  a lot of investigating.

Wiegraf

Everyone blows the lag out of proportion. I didnt care really at all. It was worth it to continue reading the beautiful script and I got used to the slowdown very fast. Now WOTL 1.3 is the only one I play.
What troubled sleep have you known to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream must always fade into day...

-Wiegraf

ffta707

Really? I can't stand the lag, even though I did beat WOTL.

I re - thought all of this, and I just remembered ASM crashes WOTL so it's not possible yet, nor will it probably ever be possible.

Mickey B

I don't even know what lag you're talking about. Maybe it's because I have a PSP slim (more ram) or maybe it's because I'm playing it off of my memory stick (reads like 4 times faster than the UMD). Regardless, it seems faster than the original to me.

Argy

Mickey,
I have the same configuration as you and its still slower than my psx version from 10 years ago! You notice in on the swordskills soooooo much. Nothing like waiting a couple of minutes for dark sword to work!
But if yours is working at speed then thats great for you, i am a touch jealous!
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

Vanya

Quote from: "ffta707"Really? I can't stand the lag, even though I did beat WOTL.

I re - thought all of this, and I just remembered ASM crashes WOTL so it's not possible yet, nor will it probably ever be possible.

If you are referring to how orgASM messes up WoTL, it isn't because of the ASM itself. The game can be hacked just like any other piece of software. The problems stem from the fact that the PSP version was re-programmed from scratch the internal code is different so the ASM hacks meant to modify the PSX caoe won't work because it is different from the code in the PSP version. It would be like trying to modify a 2010 Camaro with parts from a 1978 Camaro. They just aren't compatible.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

ffta707

Oh, so FFTorgasm doesn't work then? So if made from scratch, the ASM would work?

Vanya

¯\(°_0)/¯

Xifanie

Hey guys! I figured how to solve this issue!

Set all abilities and reactions to effect FFFF (null)
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

ffta707

Quote from: "Zodiac"Hey guys! I figured how to solve this issue!

LMAO

Vanya

LOL! That was awesome! ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

ffta707

Quote from: "Vanya"

LOL! That was awesome! ^_^

Agreed. Anyways, I guess what zodiac was trying to say, is that this won't happen anytime soon. UNLESS, you use his solution.

karsten

what about usingn 100% uncompressed spritesheets? the game "lags" or slowdowns on psp when tries to access a compressed part of a sprite... can you serve it already uncompressed?

Xifanie

Nope, karsten, unless you're talking about the SP2 files for monsters, spritesheets are uncompressed as soon as they are loaded in the VRAM. SP2 files are different because they are only loaded when necessary. The cause of this problem is definitely the effects.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful