• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:50:26 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Kanbabrif

Started by Bastard Poetry, April 26, 2008, 11:39:21 pm

Bastard Poetry

April 26, 2008, 11:39:21 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
I finally figured out how to do some of this custom sprite work that you kids are all up on about these days.

I think this turned out pretty well. I just need some help from someone in getting that portrait onto the sprite. I read the topic where Zozma helped someone out, but got completely lost in the sentence that explained all of it. Could someone break it down in simple steps for this old man?

By the way, ALL GLORY TO KANBABRIF!
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

Kenshin72

April 26, 2008, 11:52:27 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kenshin72
Portraits aren't quite figured out yet I believe, at least on the PSP version.
They are iffy.

Cheetah

April 27, 2008, 12:13:19 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Portraits are figured out in most parts of the game. Are you trying to figure out the battle sprite portrait, because that is easy enough. The formation portrait stuff is a bit more complicated.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

April 27, 2008, 12:21:54 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Battle.

I don't actually need formation portraits.

Kenshin72

April 27, 2008, 01:03:38 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kenshin72
Battle portrait goes in the sprite sheet. Look at others to see what I mean.

Cheetah

April 27, 2008, 02:00:49 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Are you having trouble getting the palette to work with the portrait? To get this to work I used GraphicsGale. I have only been using it for a few days but it is a good program so far. Just take a BMP of your complete sprite sheet, with 16 colors for the sprite and 16 for the portrait and open it in Graphics Gale. Change the "Color Depth" (I think that is one of the options in the View menu) to 256 colors. Now the palette side window in GraphicsGale should have two rows of 16 colors, the first row is your sprite colors and the second is your portrait colors. So basically just drag all your portrait colors down to the 9th row of the palette window. Save and import with ShiShiSpriteEditor and check out the first portrait palette. It should look correct. I'm writing this from memory, have only used these tools for a couple days, and am leaving out a whole bunch of important details, but that should solve your problem for now and from that info I think you know more than enough to figure out the rest for yourself.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

April 27, 2008, 03:41:53 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Well, I had two main obstacles. The first was getting the portrait in, and the second was not being able to import a fully decompressed BPM sprite file into Shishi, so I always had Zalmo's sprite reappear during attack animations.

Your directions succeeded in getting the portrait in, AS WELL AS suddenly allowing me to import the complete sprite edit into Shishi! Now, Zalmo doesn't appear during attack animations!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

The problem, though, is that I might have messed something up on the sprite sheet when I was editing.. because the attack animation is glitchy. The right colors, but glitchy. So I'm going to have to play with that for awhile. Any tips on how to properly edit the lower half of a fully decompressed sprite sheet (everything below the portrait)?

Because I edited those in much the same way I edited the top half.. Where everything looks like it should and nothing goes outside of the original sprite lines. I'll attach the image, to see if anyone can spot the mistakes I made.

(By the way, the portrait looks normal in this particular file because this was the pre-GraphicsGale file).

Cheetah

April 27, 2008, 04:12:15 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Your welcome.

As for your newest issue I'm not quite sure yet. I know that others have mentioned similar issues and I had the same thing happen to me today (though in my case I was trying to mess it up). They were talking about it somewhere in the Custom Sprite section so look around. The only thing I remember is that they talked about insuring that there are actually only 16 colors in the sprite. So maybe even though you have your palette correct you still have some stray pixels here and there. I will be looking into the problem more tomorrow, but tell me if you find a solution before I do.

PS: The sprite looks good. I wonder if you could make the hat a little taller though? You can't make it too high because everything would wack out, but maybe a pixel or two.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

April 27, 2008, 04:28:55 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Well, actually, I can't. The problem is that the SPR file is just slightly bigger than the one I'm replacing. So when I import it into the image file with CDMage, it says it will only import if I agree to truncate.

When I reopen the SPR file in Shishi, I can see the first line below the portrait has shifted things around, which in turn shifted everything below them. Hence, a tangled mesh of arms and such when attacking.

So the problem is that I may have added too many pixels in the editing process, and CDMage insists on truncating during import, which causes the shift. (In a nutshell). I'm slowly trying to figure out what I can safely erase to bring the pixel count down. It's just a matter of comparing my sprite to the original I worked with, and erasing anything that went outside of the lines. If that makes sense.

I knew that my final SPR file was supposed to be the same size as the original.. but I have no idea HOW it got bigger. I suppose I wasn't as careful as I thought when copy-pasting that damned hat around!

Bastard Poetry

April 27, 2008, 04:34:12 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Here. To illustrate what I'm seeing..

When I go through the Shishi process, everything looks fine. I save it as an SPR file, use CDMage to import it into my image file, and then it says it's too big and asks to truncate.

So I go back into Shishi, open the SPR file, and this is what I see:

Lydyn

April 27, 2008, 04:51:45 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Strange... I only did a palette change on my Chaos Knight sprite,but it showed the same message about it being bigger, however nothing at all is glitchy. Then again, palette changes are a bit different than making new sprites...

Bastard Poetry

April 27, 2008, 05:56:18 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
RRAARRGGH! I feel so stupid right now.

I figured out what went wrong. When I first started this sprite, I was editing Zalmo's sprite. However, in my efforts to put it into the game, I was trying to replace Funeral. There's a significant difference between Zalmo's file size and Funeral's!!

I think I can make this work now.

Bastard Poetry

April 28, 2008, 12:48:20 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Alright then. So I have this down to two options:

Working Kanbabrif sprite who's head morphs into Zalmo's head during attack animations (if I transfer BMPs through FFTSprite)

or

Working Kanbabrif sprite who's entire being morphs into pixelated vomit during attack animations (if I transfer BMPs through Shishi).

So I'm sticking with the Zalmo head for now. His robe colors don't change, though, so it's pretty damn close. Really, it just looks like he has to take his hat off in order to attack.. and his beard. What can you do?

Download your Kanbabrif TODAY!

Cheetah

April 28, 2008, 01:00:15 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Can you post the image in BMP that you are using for the portrait? The on attached to the entire sprite sheet you posted earlier looks a little garbled.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

April 28, 2008, 01:19:45 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Sure thing

Bastard Poetry

April 28, 2008, 01:23:16 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
And here's the original portrait, before I had to cut it up to match the shape of Zalmo's face.

Cheetah

April 28, 2008, 01:36:00 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Oh my friend, you are slightly mistaken about some things haha. You don't have to have the portrait match the outline of the one you are overwriting exactly. The tan area for the negative space for the portrait has just as much value as all the other colors in the portrait. The portrait only needs to fit in the general rectangle of the portrait area (because those are the coordinates that the game grabs the image from). The same thing applies to the sprites pretty well too, there are just rectangles that slice up the sprite sheet into squares and paste everything together. So your sprite can go outside the bounds of your base, it just can't go outside of the bounds of the invisible rectangle (which we don't exactly know where that is). Though last I heard Melonhead was working on something to help us with that. I will take a look at what you got here and see what I come up with. Expect something in either 30 minutes or later tomorrow.

UPDATE: So I'm thinking the main issue is that the rip of the portrait you are using is no good. That is probably messing up your attack animations too because it is screwing up your palette. Basically JPEGs are the bane of a spriters existance.

UPDATE2: Okay so I have run out of time for the night to finish this up. But don't you worry, you can look forward to a fun suprise later tomorrow.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

April 28, 2008, 02:43:02 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Wow.. Thanks, Cheetah!

I figured the portrait area wasn't actually that tricky. However, after a few hundred attempts to get this thing fixed, I was running out of ideas.

If you can pull this off, I promise that your name will have a place in the ending credits of the Chronicles!

Now that I know that, about being able to draw a little more, then perhaps we can make his hat taller. I don't know. I'll go ahead and post the pic of what Kanbabrif looks like in the game. If you want to try working with it, then by all means. If not, I may make some adjustments after you finish.

Cheetah

April 28, 2008, 04:12:02 pm #18 Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 04:42:51 pm by Cheetah
Who's your Mac OSX Daddy, I'm your Mac OSX Daddy (okay sorry, I just like puns).

So here are some screenshots to illustrate the situation. The first two pics illustrate that your attack animations for Kanbabrif now work and are not garbled. I believe they were messed up because you were using way too many colors at least in the stuff you gave me to work off of. Even if you changed the palette correctly in GraphicsGale you probably would have had to do some other stuff to actually eliminate those "colors" from the BMP file. I will explain this more later.

Picture 3 shows off a perfect looking portrait. The reason this wasn't working was because the rip of the portrait you had was messed up from compression most likely. Lesson: Don't use jpegs, png are best for most things.

The rest of the pictures show some of the minor mistakes that you need to correct on your sprite. First off your coloring of his body from the front view has the neck of the robe change from blue to off-white in a couple of frames (should be an easy fix for you). The more complicated issue is that Kanbabrif is missing his beard when he attacks from the front view. For these frames the head is placed on seperate from the body, and while making sure to not "color outside the lines" you failed to put a beard in either place. An understandable mistake considering it might be somewhat difficult to fix. I would recommend looking at other bearded sprites to see how they delt with it. My other recommendation is that the beard probably belongs on the body because the bounds around his head probably aren't big enough to allow for his beard (might take a bit of work and testing either way).

Other than those things it looks great. I will post the bmp I used with all the correct colors shortly. All you have to do is import it into any sprite using ShiShi and it will work great. I would recommend using GraphicsGale to do your edits to make sure you don't mess up the palette settings.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

April 28, 2008, 04:17:49 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Curses, apparently only three attachments per post. No I guess it doesn't like me posting that portrait picture, I will try doing that later.

EDIT: Okay I just needed to reduce the size of the pic I guess, here is the portrait.
Current Projects: