• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Shuushin; A Japanese Fantasy Rework

Started by Lydyn, September 20, 2008, 01:52:52 pm

Would you like to see this done?

Yes!
35 (72.9%)
Not interested.
13 (27.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: September 20, 2008, 01:52:52 pm

The Damned

October 26, 2008, 03:31:01 pm #80 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Hmm...I was just playing around with my "Blood Suck" "patch" and discovered that apparently if you try to add an Element, like say Earth in your patch, to Throw Stone, it doesn't seem to take.

I'm not sure how to fix it if you want to, though thankfully it's not something major.

(If you're curious, I tested this by changing Throw Stone to Earth in FFTPatcher like you did and then making it so that Earth Clothes are available from the start. I used Throw Stone on Ramza with Earth Clothes on and he was predicted to take damage instead of being healed.)
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Lydyn

October 26, 2008, 03:34:11 pm #81 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Must be the formula it uses. *Shrug* Yeah, it's not a big deal for Throw Stone anyways... any major (like Earth spells) work just fine with Earth Elemental. Thanks for mentioning it though. :)

Archael

October 26, 2008, 05:20:22 pm #82 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Some formulas ignore any element that is assigned to them

The Damned

October 26, 2008, 08:33:26 pm #83 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Yeah, I remember you (?) having this problem with assigning Dark to Demi or something similar. It's not surprising, just something I noted, especially since I felt that Throw Stone being Earth was a sensible decision on Lydyn's part and something that I would probably mimic.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Lydyn

October 26, 2008, 08:48:52 pm #84 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
I was having trouble with that too. Yeah, it's just based on all the formulas ... luckly, I threw Demi away for players. Always hated the --% damaging spells in player hands, ever since I realized you can do 999 damage to them with relatively little planning - especially in mine.

As a side note, Queklain is not a bitch, lol. I had to have a very specific set-up for my guys to stand up against him (new version, not posted).

Archael

October 26, 2008, 09:15:17 pm #85 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
You don't have to worry about Demi doing 999 man, Demi's formula does not ignore element flags...

Lydyn

October 26, 2008, 09:35:01 pm #86 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Well, it doesn't fit anyways, except for bosses. No biggie.

The Damned

October 26, 2008, 11:36:31 pm #87 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Oh, good. I dont't have to wait for someone else to postlike I thought I would have. I hate double posting, so I was going to wait until otherwise to report in.

So far, I've logged in about an hour and a half in your patch, Lydyn--ePSXe says otherwise, though, since I have it sped it up to high hell AND frame-skipping. The patch is...interesting, though I haven't even gotten past Mandalia Plains since I was trying to get Gained JP UP and Move +1 AND Zougeiro Mage.

Speaking of Zougeiro Mage, I think that's my only major gripe with the patch so far: not being able to heal (outside of suicidal Wish) until you get Zougeiro Mage, which you won't have for at least the first two battles. Hell, I almost lost at Mandalia, twice, because Ramza has died and then almost crystallized twice. You might want to switch out all Items from the first Chapter, especially since Alchemist is the last obtainable class, and move all Mantles up so that you don't get Rushed to death, especially from behind.

My opinion on Rush is somewhat ambivalent: It's rather useful, but perhaps it's too useful for Squires, at least so early on. I mean, with Best compatibility, I'm pretty sure you can OHKO (and get OHKO'd by) the computer with Rush at Magic Gariland City, which means you're forced to pretty much have someone crystallize since you can't raise anyone until after Igros. (It's pretty difficult to slow down the battle when no one has any means of healing [without damaging themselves].)

Rush working with distance weapons like Crossbow also kind of weirds me out because, to paraphase Skip Sandwich, crossbows shouldn't gain more power by having their trigger hit really hard. (Longbows, yeah, but Guns and Crossbows, no.)

With regards to other "Basic Skill" (I'm also kind of annoyed at having to keep thread open to know what I'm actually using, but that's relatively minor), we talked about the Throw Stone already, though it seems like you boosted the damage anyway in the way that LastingDawn did. (Or at least I seem to be doing more damage than I remember ever doing with Throw Stone early on barring Accumulate BS.)

I would also like to mention that it seems rather pointless to make Heal have the Water Element when there's no way for it to be strengthened--at least, I'm assuming it's still 100% because I haven't had to use so far. Maybe you could make it so that it actually heals a bit too since that would help mitigate getting rushed down (horrible double pun not intended) while not allowing you to be as careless as items sometimes allow.

Outside of that, I haven't really done anything with the other classes yet.

However, I did notice, when I opened your patch with FFTPatcher see if the names have changed, that for Holy Wind and Holy Fire, you kept the AI Behavior as Target Allies and Learn on Hit, which I don't think you would want (or at least I assume you don't want since both do damage and both of those behaviors are left over from when they were Protect 2 and Shell 2).

I think that's it for now, outside me asking what I probably should have asked already: When do Lich monsters start showing up if I may know?

(P.S. With regards to Magic Gariland City Academy scene, the male Chemist-made-Squire changes back when turning his head to face Delita. The female Chemist looks like hodgepodge between female Chemist and male Samurai until she turns to move, which is when she transforms into her "appropriate" new sprite.

Also, now that I remembered it, you might want to get rid of Weapon Guard if everyone seems to have it Innate already. Defend would be a good replacement if you didn't mind moving it down.)

Lydyn

October 27, 2008, 12:00:11 am #88 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Lost at the plains? Really? Huh... I didn't have much trouble with it, which is why I didn't think much of it. Let's see ... I can give Heal the ability to heal some HP, but not too much. Mostly, the whole ideal was that magic was the main source of healing ... making it that much more rare and taking more thought in using it.

I won't officially post it until I uploaded it, but how's this look?
Heal: Heal: 30 HP, Cancels: Darkness, Silence, Berserk, Poison, Slow, CT: 2, MP: 6

With Rush, it's a spiritual technique, like most of the physical attacks that need MP to cast. More often than not, the ideal is that one is adding spirit force to the blow or use their spirit in order to augment the attack in some manner. If it becomes a real problem, the best I can do is restrict it to a range of one ... but I'd rather not do that. Rush is powerful early on, but I've never seen any One-Hit-KOs.

Throw Stone wasn't changed in any way except adding earth. Not sure what to tell you. :P And I didn't even notice Protect 2/Shell 2 (Holy Fire/Holy Wind) had "Learn on Hit," thanks for pointing that out.

Last, but not least ... that sprite glitch is quite unavoidable at the moment, since those times the squire turns into a Chemist, it's a scene sprite sheet, not the battle/formation sprite.

Oh, and Lichs... well, with the current version posted, it's at the end of Chapter 2 - Yuguo Woods. Though you may not see them until Chapter 3, still ... since it's placed in "Yuguo Woods - [Direction] 4" which means that specific random may not occur until Chapter 4. When you feel ready, I can put a specific patch for you to encounter Lichs early on - hell, I'll just give you the lastest version with edited randoms for that Lich testing.

Edit: There is no innate Weapon Guard. I may do that later, I may not. Not a huge concern right now, in my opinion.

The Damned

October 27, 2008, 12:19:47 am #89 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Lydyn"Edit: There is no innate Weapon Guard. I may do that later, I may not. Not a huge concern right now, in my opinion.

Hmm...I think got confused since Squires can equip Shields now, but I could have sworn that I deflected an attack with a dagger when I didn't have Weapon Guard on.

As for Mandalia, I didn't lose. I almost lost the rescue Algus story battle because of Ramza, and then I almost lost a random battle after that for the same reason. However, I didn't lose, which is why I said my opinion on Rush is mixed at the moment.

As for Yuguo, doesn't that place not even appear until the end of Chapter 3? Do you mean Araguay? Or did you move up its appearance somehow?

(And yeah, Protect 2 and Shell 2 had Learn on Hit. I'm pretty sure all the highest end spells except for Reraise were Learn on Hit in vanilla.)

Lydyn

October 27, 2008, 12:23:02 am #90 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Oh, damn, you're right... it's at the end of Chapter 3, lol ... well, you won't see them until Chapter 4 then, mostly - if at all. Which is good.

Lydyn

October 27, 2008, 12:43:43 pm #91 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Shuushin v0.12 Beta is now posted! Thanks 'The Damned' & 'Asmo' for fixes and suggestions and thanks to minor suggestions from 'Zodiac,' I redid some of the Lich skillset. :)

The Damned

October 27, 2008, 01:41:19 pm #92 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
So...er, do you want to download the latest version or keep on trucking through the one I have right?

(It's not like I'm very far. I have another random battle to go before I feel like destroying Dorter Trade City.)

P.S. I don't know why I didn't say this earlier, but I disagree with Soul Strike's existence. Stupid Shock-esque moves.

Lydyn

October 27, 2008, 04:48:07 pm #93 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Probably best you download the newest version, has enough changes to the Wu Jen.

And yeah, a lot of people hate those moves apparently ... though I don't see why. Any time I've used it in Shuushin at least, it was either lower or equal to any other abilities or I risked death. Seriously. If it turns out to be unbalanced in my patch, I'll replace it with something else. Or if you or anyone else has a better suggestion for a Ninja art, feel free to post it.

The Damned

October 27, 2008, 05:46:42 pm #94 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Will do for the download, especially since I just beat Sand Rat Cellar.

I'll try Miluda's first battle out before downloading it since I want to see if I can beat it Miluda in one go in both betas.

As for disliking Shock-esque attacks, I think it's largely because the punish you for dealing damage when that's the easiest way to win. Hell, sometimes it's the only way to considering the amount of status immunities that people may have. That combined with range and, in your case and vanillia, being unable to evade, much less counter the attack, makes it all the more unbalanced.

Of course, since it's available to generics, I could see it going both ways to point where the game might be really stupid once I get Ninja unlocked for two or more of my generics.

I can think of other skills to add besides that are Ninja-esque, but I'll try and wait to suggest them until after I've got Ninja unlocked.

(Of course, part of my reserve is that the one that I would most like to see, since it's an infamous ninja move [at least in video games], doesn't seem like it would work due to the way that Jump is....)

Archael

October 27, 2008, 05:48:07 pm #95 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
If it's based on Shock!, you can make it Evadeable (M) and lower its hit % Q

Shock is strong as hell to be a 100% attack

just a suggestion

Lydyn

October 27, 2008, 06:15:43 pm #96 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Well, it's already marked as Evadeable, and it's range for Ninjas is only 2 panels, regardless. It shouldn't work against Undead, to say the least, unless the formula ignores elements. Haven't tested. Guess we'll see how abusable it'll end up being.

And I can add 'Jump'-like attacks ... to a degree. I can change skill animations and change one to the Jumping on. In fact Yuuhi (sp) is a Jumping Attack (Monk).

The Damned

October 27, 2008, 11:08:44 pm #97 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Lydyn"And I can add 'Jump'-like attacks ... to a degree. I can change skill animations and change one to the Jumping on. In fact Yuuhi (sp) is a Jumping Attack (Monk).

I've been hit by Yuuhi about four times already and it looks more like a blueish Wave Fist (irony) that has close ties to Icewolf Bite than any jumping animation. At least with the older beta.

As for Jumping, I meant something that managed to utilize the Jump aspect, since I thought that it made you leave the ground; it figures that I was wrong and have come to realize through testing that it just makes you invincible, so now I'm pretty sure my idea won't work since you can't force the opponent to Jump with you.

Lydyn

October 27, 2008, 11:28:04 pm #98 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Uh ... did you import the BATTLE.BIN? It changes Spin Fist to the Jump animation ... and yes, it uses a downward blue scratch-like effect, but with jumping.

The Damned

October 28, 2008, 12:15:00 am #99 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
I'm pretty sure it did that automatically for me considering all the random battles are different.

It may just be my computer, but I'm pretty sure the Monks aren't jumping to attack. It's more like you said except they extend their hand in a punch like with Spin Fist or Wave Fist or Earth Slash or whatever.