• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

One Day Poll! Pieke Okata's character name.

Started by LastingDawn, August 30, 2009, 01:32:30 pm

Should the name "Pieke Okata" for Gafgarion's rival, stay or go?

Stay
4 (30.8%)
Go
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: August 31, 2009, 01:32:30 pm

LastingDawn

August 30, 2009, 01:32:30 pm Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:12:43 pm by LastingDawn
There has been a bit of contention on the IRC if I should keep the character of Gafgarion's rival name as Pieke Okata.

Those in the Know-How know the name comes from a GameFAQ's user from the FFT Boards which some say is a bit of a 4th Wall Breaker, this is true, there's no denying that. The original name of the sprite is Pieke and I thought it was a cool name to use for an older man who has had past dealings with Gafgarion. Though some profess that this is too much and breaks up the flow of the story, granted his character's name is revealed a bit later, they say the reference is simply just a cop out and many people will be pulled away from the story we've tried hard to keep legitimate.

On the flip-side... wouldn't this in some cases draw in users? A reference to GameFAQ's may get more people interested from that community to join us here and perhaps give their support to Mercenaries. Also there are very few names which present the same "arrogance" that this character portrays as the name Pieke Okata, it just seems to oozes self confidence, but if it is voted that it should be replaced, then I would be happy to hear any suggestions you may have.

For those who vote Please make sure to state your reasons for the choice.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Archael

August 30, 2009, 01:37:14 pm #1 Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:12:46 pm by Archael
Voted Go, the name is a 4th wall breaker, same thing as putting a character named "Voldemort", "Zodiac", "Asmo", or "TigerTheCat" in there. It's an obvious reference to a very specific name used by a very specific GF member. The rest of Mercenaries takes itself very seriously, and the Pieke reference really breaks the mood for me and seems inconsistent with the level of seriousness the rest of the mod has.

I would really love to see a brand new character name exclusive to Mercenaries take it's place.

beawulfx

August 30, 2009, 01:48:15 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
I hate saying this when input is requested but really Voldemort nailed my thoughts on the matter perfectly. I love how serious, deep, and engrossing Mercenaries strives to be and when I see Pieke's name that really draws me out, even if only for a second, and I would prefer to avoid that.

It's a testament to the quality of work that you guys are doing with this game that I say this, because I love it so much that I don't want to be drawn out of the world you are creating.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

DarthPaul

August 30, 2009, 02:44:59 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I am stuck in the middle on this matter. I see the Pros and Cons as equaling each other, and making a decision is difficult.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

August 30, 2009, 02:50:00 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael

man poll is skewed because some ppl are trying to forward their personal BS instead of trying to make the best choice for Mercenaries