• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:30:59 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

(FFTA) ASM Hacking. Can't edit some descriptions

Started by Victotem, September 26, 2022, 03:41:16 pm

Victotem

Hello people, i was changing Illusionist abilities successfully when i stumbled upon Freezeblink description.
When i try to erase characters so i can write a different description (every description has less characters than the original one)
the game gets bugged.

I guess is something related with comprehesion, but i am not sure. And i dont even know how to manage it.

Anyways, people who successfully changed all the descriptions they wanted on FFTA. How did you deal with the problem? Is even possible to change all descriptions?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

dck

Some text is compressed, what I did when hex-editing text is just set up an ahk table where a keypress equals hex for that character so I could just type the descriptions directly.
If memory serves there's a table for the compressed text equivalents somewhere in the forum as well, and your options are to either switch to it and type using that when dealing with compressed stuff- or just change the start of the string to the one uncompressed text uses, which will let you just use the same table for everything (though of course it'll take more space than compressed itself.)
  • Discord username: adri#1824

Victotem

I didn't understand the ahk modus operandi, btw i changed the start of the comprehesed string from compresed to uncompresed (2A18 became 2818) and after i changed a single character the game got broken. I don't know if it is what are what are you telling me with "change the start of the string to the one uncompressed text uses".

Definitely i don't want to use ahk because i have a lot of confusion about that like:
How the Ahk knows when i am pressing select for Freezeblink description and not for wwatching laws in a mission?
Where do i create the new string in the Hex pool of the game?
How i connect Ahk with the trigger of the display of the description?
Where is the trigger in the pool?

For now i will try to find that table of comprehesed text equivalents, there is something important that i need to know when i get it?
I mean about usage.