• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:11:32 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

An Experimental FFTA Text Editor

Started by Darthatron, March 26, 2020, 08:32:02 am

Darthatron

March 26, 2020, 08:32:02 am Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:09:02 am by Darthatron Reason: New version

Get it here!
New Version
The latest build

So here it is, after several years of not being touched. It's not perfect, since it can't read every string in the game, but a lot of them work fine. I just wanted to get this out in case I'm unavailable to work on it again...

Currently there is no safe-guards for replacing data that is bigger than the original so please be careful and don't press "Save String" if the "Write Size" is bigger than the "Read Size".

Some strings (in "Other Strings" bookmarks) shouldn't be touched at this stage. LZSS Compressed strings should (mostly) be fine to edit though (this includes Ability Descriptions.) You can toggle LZSS Compression on strings with a Header which can sometimes reduce the size of strings with repeat substrings.

BACK UP YOUR ROM BEFORE USING

There is an XML file in the /Resources folder that tells the bookmarks where to read from. You can add known string tables on there. Hopefully it's self-explanatory

Good luck and happy modding

Let me know when/if you run into problems or have suggestions for future updates.

Currently I am chipping away at getting everything to load/save properly
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Darthatron

Darthatron

New build with a lot more strings added to the bookmarks and some bug fixes. Same rules apply: don't overwrite anything that looks weird and/or is a larger size than the Read Size

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ror5uudmcmiu3mj/FFTA_TextEditor.zip/file

I will probably start working on a way to import full lists of strings all at once rather than just replacing the strings individually.

Blunderpusse

Pretty neat. Now we can edit the "dismiss unit/leave clan" messages. I'm definitely making some unit sounds way saltier for kicked out. :P
"You sure are a keen observer of the obvious, kupo!"

Darthatron

Here is a new build of the Text Editor, which has:

• improved reading compatibility
  • updates the bookmarks without ruining your selection when you save a String
  • displays an approximation of what will show in game