• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 03:23:09 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

New Chinese Valentine's Sprite Contest!!

Started by Vanya, January 29, 2010, 02:42:04 pm

Vanya

January 29, 2010, 02:42:04 pm Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:58:40 am by Vanya
All who want to participate need only post their *Chinese New Year + Valentine* themed sprites here!! =)

*Chinese New Year + Valentine* = Anything associated with China/Chinese New Year AND/OR Valentine's Day. There will be bonus points for anyone who manages to represent both themes in their entry!! For those who are curious as to the strange mix of themes, it just so happens that both holidays fall on the same day this year.

Criteria:
Best Over-all
Most Fitting to Theme
Most Creative
Chineseiest+Valentineiest/Funniest

Rules:
1 ) Most importantly you must have fun.
2 ) Obviously the entries have to have fit the theme.
3 ) Entries should be in PNG format.
4 ) Entry must be submitted in 1x & 2x size in one file for clear visibility.
5 ) The base sprite must be an official Square FFT/WotL sprite, or a custom sprite from scratch in FFT style.
6 ) Entry must have at least forward-angled frame and one other, with additional frames optional.
7 ) No resubmitting of old sprites.
8 ) Judges can't participate, duh.
9 ) There is no limit to the number of entries that can be submitted.
A ) No vulgarity.
B ) Sprites must not exceed 16 colors, but do not have any restrictions as to what colors are used.

Deadline:
March 31, 2010
12 midnight GMT

Submission Format:

Sprite Title
Name of Base Sprite(s)
<Embedded Image of entry>
Download of entry (*optional*)

Here is an example entry:

Artist: dwib
Holiday Penguin
Uribo + Cockatrice + Time Mage + Custom

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

SilvasRuin

I'll judge again, unless people are getting tired of my decisions.

mav

Yeah, I'll judge too, since that's all I can do. ;)

Put your creativity hats on, folks.

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

FFMaster

☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Vanya

That takes care of judges, now all we need is entries. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

VampragonLord

15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Kokojo

I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Tonb3rry

This is my submission for the contest. I'm not new to spriting, really, but I'm new to the tactics sprites, and def new to the site. I actually started messing around with the tactics sprites as placeholders for the characters in an online D&D game I'm running. (there's a little pointless personal history for you)

Without further aduie: Lust
I didn't want to go with the boring old idea of a beautiful woman, etc - I went a more... "whore of babylon" approach. Lust as a more consuming thing.

mav

Whoa! Welcome to the board. Fantastic submission. This is likely over the color limit, but the rules haven't been posted yet anyway. Again, this is a really neat submission. I can't wait to see what else you have in stock.

Tonb3rry

Thanks.
Yeah that color limit thing is killing me. Still trying to get used to that - I have a ton of sprites for a patch I'm working on... making the colors work? Yeah, right. I've been doing megaman (yeah, I know, but hey we all have to start somewhere) so long that I've gotten used to the 32+ colors... honestly, I shouldn't be complaining about less work, me thinks O.o

But again, thanks! I can't wait till I finish up my werewolf sprite sheet (see avatar)

jimmyjw88

Welcome aboard. Very nice work there. Well, since you work with colour limits before, so I guess this shouldn't be a problem either ^^
And very nice werewolf. I'm looking forward.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Vanya

Welcome! I do like that werewolf quite a bit. Would have been great for the Halloween contest. ^_^
I can only see one other problem.
I know I haven't posted the rules yet, but it is a Chinese New Year/Valentine themed contest.
So how does your entry fit the theme?

Edit: See rules in first post.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Tonb3rry

Ah, crap... got the Valentines bit... somehow the Chinese New Year bit didn't click though... sigh.
Well, it's the year of the Tiger... maybe I'll modify the behemoth body into a tiger pattern... and stay in 16 colors... >.<

Vanya

You've got plenty of time before the deadline at least. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Tonb3rry

Okay, here we go: So, Lust v2 (Tiger style)
Took away some clothing to go with more of a lust feel (as, for some reason, Behemoth purple screams "whore of babylon" to me, but tiger pattern doesn't)
Added a freakish external heart (ala Astaroth of Soul Calibur fame) to... I don't know, fit into the Valentines theme I guess

and yeah... I didn't see anything in the rules regarding a color limit O.o I can go back and count, but I have a feeling this sucker is a little more than 16 colors...

Edit: yeah... 33. Oops.

So Lust: Dancer + Behemoth + Custom

VampragonLord

too brriiiiiight OW. Reduce the colors to 16 (Its only fair, as tactics sprites are 16) and PLEASE make my eyes stop bleeding! xD looks great though, the back view confuses me though
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Tonb3rry

Hahaha. It is REALLY bright. Yeah I know I need to reduce the colors... but I don't wanna ! Not that I think it looks better with more colors, it's just I'm sooooo lazy. Guess I'll have to though.

The only reason I went so bright with the body was to highlight the orange. You don't think she'll look bad if I drop the color down?

Was gonna do a summoning animation (the back view) but decided to leave her as is - basically just to get a wing stretch going.

mav

As a judge, I dunno if it'd be fair to make suggestions on how to fix it, but I think you can pull it off.

Come on people, start submitting!