• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:27:20 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Chapter 2 Progress Log

Started by 3lric, August 20, 2013, 06:52:12 pm

Bonesy

vaan who's vaan i only know shirtless market research man :^)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

3lric

• Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

QuoteIf you can remove a character from a story and have it affect nothing, that character should absolutely not be a focal point.

Exactly.

And that's what Luso is in FFTA2, too. If you remove him and the grimoire, things get a bit different, but not much, and the biggest issue is the removal of the grimoire, not of Luso himself. Even when his actual Clan leader is out of commission, all he does for the main plot as the acting leader is go fetch some herbs to help him heal (which isn't even his idea) and talk to someone about his grimoire in order to learn that he just has to keep farting around and the grimoire will eventually be recharged enough to return him home.

Compare that to TA1. Marche isn't directly responsible for whipping up Pocket Ivalice, and he does also spend a lot of time farting around, but he himself becomes a major catalyst for change in the story. Remove him from the story, and everyone would have just stayed in Pocket Ivalice where they never have to face their problems anymore, and Mewt would have permanently regressed to that toddler-like mentality that Marche had to break him out of. Marche also goes through a lot of character development as a result of his time there, changing from a shy, sort of awkward teenager into someone with enough self-confidence to fight his own friends and family in order to save them from themselves. TA1's story isn't nearly as complex and engaging as FFT's, but considering it was aimed at the younger GBA audience, I think it did very well with what it had.

FFTA2, however... I was expecting much more out of Luso based on his WotL cameo. To say that I was disappointed is to put it mildly.

Pandemoniu

Admittedly, now I feel really alone, since I like Luso, like Vaan, don't have an issue with Raiden, have reasons for it, but don't have a 5 page essay to back anything up. :(

Angel

As someone who loves Navi, I understand the feels.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Pandemoniu

Quote from: Angel on December 09, 2016, 01:51:18 am
As someone who loves Navi, I understand the feels.

I love her, too! All she ever did was help, but all she ever gets in return is ridicule.

ChaosStar0

Quote from: Pandemoniu on December 10, 2016, 09:49:31 am
I love her, too! All she ever did was help, but all she ever gets in return is ridicule.

The problem with Navi is that she was made to help new players, but once you aren't new to the game she starts to get annoying, especially if you are trying to 100% the game.

Bonesy

I found Fi from skyward sword worse lol

Nyzer

Quote from: Bonesy on December 10, 2016, 08:05:25 pm

Oh, God. I swear, the only reason she was designed that way was specifically to poke people in the eye who'd gotten frustrated with Navi

ChaosStar0

Quote from: Bonesy on December 10, 2016, 08:05:25 pm

Oddly enough, I actually like Fi.

3lric

Quote from: ChaosStar0 on December 11, 2016, 10:50:18 am
Oddly enough, I actually like Fi.

I never minded either one. It's dangerous to go alone, so Link took them.

DaTruthDT

December 26, 2016, 01:49:36 am #351 Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:09:49 am by DaTruthDT
I'm coming in a bit late here but I for one would love a harder version of JOT5, but I'm definitely not requesting that, and I know others wouldn't enjoy it like me. I do like JOT5's difficulty curve however. It tries to teach "Vanilla" players better habits, and for lack of a better term in a much "friendlier" way than FFT 1.3 does.

Guru

No worries, I started the whole hard mode conversation/shitfest and then went mia while I fixed my car and played lost odyssey  :roll:
(BTW Lost odyssey is still completely free for 4 more days! No gold membership needed and you should get to keep the download forever on 360, not sure how it works on xbone though. )

Hopefully my thoughts on hard mode are a little more clear after my last post, but I pretty much have the same exact thoughts as DaTruth. Not asking for a hard mode/suicide mode, but I would support it if it ever was developed. I do like the current difficulty on JOT5 though. As we have seen there are a ton of different play styles and I've always thought they did very good in creating a middle ground.

I Just got caught up on all the posts in the last couple weeks, and I got a few good laughs out of em lol. Lovin the suggestion for "oh god why" version, consider it done! I still think I should add an elric sprite in there, I probbaly won't have him attack or anything, just have him sit in the middle of the battlefield with a facepalm the whole time lol.

I don't think anybody can say the creator of ffhacktics isn't a real gamer  ;) I respect everyone's play styles, I enjoy challenges and casual gaming depending on the occasion. I do like when games mix both, I'm not a big fan of the newer rpgs but I always loved the casual feel of rpgs where you can roam/explore and then they throw in an bunch of optional dungeons, superbosses and etc. The good ol' days  :mrgreen:

Pandemoniu

Dido

How is the progress of JOT5 Ch.2? I'm looking forward to this second part, I'm from Brazil and a fan of the Tactics saga.

Congratulations on keeping this game alive. You guys are fucking!

Zolias

Quote from: Dido on January 14, 2017, 07:31:45 am
How is the progress of JOT5 Ch.2? I'm looking forward to this second part, I'm from Brazil and a fan of the Tactics saga.

Congratulations on keeping this game alive. You guys are fucking!

Um... I think you missed a word there lol

Bonesy

3lric

Don't tell me how to live my life.

And just incase anyone is wondering. No, Jot5 is not cancelled, I said I would complete it and I will. We have some stuff left to do for the re-release regarding the synth stuff which is really the only holdup at this point. Though I still can't say when it will be finished as Xif still has some tools to make and I still have some pretty difficult events to make in regards to mining/farming/wood, etc.

For the time being, I've been working on some Fallout 4 mods which are on bethesda.net if anyone is interested in knowing which ones, let me know ;)

Bonesy

as i feel about all fan projects it gets done when it gets done, worrying about it/posting HURRY UP GOSH doesn't do any good

Guru

I don't think any ill will was intended, I think he was trying to show his support and inquiring about progress of CH2. I assume he meant to say you guys are fucking awesome, unless he walked in on some kind of JOT5 sex party...

From a fan point of view, we are all anxious to see progress and us inquiring just means we are looking forward to seeing more. Granted some people are selfish and ungrateful and just want everything now, in which case they usually get called out by everyone including the real fans who support not only the game but also the devs. Devs are just people ( and wizard goddesses?), and everybody here busts their asses to make JOT5 the best it can be, and unfortunately that takes a lot of time and effort. They have real lives, plus they need breaks and shit too, otherwise they get all burnt out and frustrated. Which hurts both motivation and quality.

I get frustrated when people ask me how something is going when I am the middle of a small project that last only several hours ( especially when they are standing there, can clearly see my progress and are disturbing my progress  :evil: ), so I can only imagine what it's like for a project of this magnitude. Which is why I try not to ask about projects. For anyone who doesn't hang out at ffhacktics, they probably have no clue whats going on though, epecially since we tend to get off topic and progress updates get buried.

I think one of these days when I have a bit more time, I might make a "progress compilation" thread, if everybody is alright with that. Or I could just gather up all the posts, if you would rather update the existing OPs or something. Might be easier for a fan to keep up with the thread than the devs spending valuable time updating threads when they post something relevant.

(Damn this post got long...TL;DR )

(PS sorry elric not a fan of fallout, not even sure why but I just never got into it. Although I never tried 3  or 4 )