• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 05:54:19 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

ffta707's Sprites

Started by ffta707, October 10, 2010, 05:49:46 pm

ffta707

October 10, 2010, 05:49:46 pm Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:16:26 pm by ffta707
I'm going to need crits on this. This is my first sprite attempt, and before I get started, I want to show you the forward facing frame that I did. This is without color changes, of course, he will be red.

Also, tell me what you think about the logo on the hat, and the hat itself. Thank you.

Edit:

Ah! Missing the mustache.

Cheetah

This is so early that it isn't really worth showing a preview. Get a palette working first and do some more work because right now his "hat" is just a blob.
Current Projects:

mav

He looks like a mechanic whose head exploded. You need to give the hat more shape, especially the brim. I also suggest losing the gloves.

ffta707

OK thank you. And I agree the hat looks like a blob, that's why I wanted crits. I'm thinking the body looks decent though. Sorry for not getting a palette swap too.

Thanks for the help guys. BTW a while ago I got a few more frames done, and I will improve the hat.

EDIT: BTW this is my first sprite, so go easy one me haha. I haven't touched a sprite yet, other than re colors.

Jon

The forward frame actually is realatively unimportant, you gotta post the second frame on the sheet, the forward side frame, because there are way more of those than just the front. Mustadio is probably a good base. Like Mav said, get rid of the gloves or make them white, your decision. As for the hat, the best reference you could probably find is the Mario RPG on Snes, get a sprite sheet of Mario on Spriters Resource or where ever and imitate that. Good luck!
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

ffta707

Thanks for the support Jon. I was actually planning on making the gloves white, which I think would require a larger palette, since the shoes are already about that color on Mario, correct?

Edit:

I was working on the sprite (I save very often). When I saved, I realized it was a 250 color bmp. I changed it to an original 16 color, and it change all the colors. This was probably a really dumb move, but could any one explain this so I could work on a new sprite? This one obviously no longer interests me, especially after loosing about 12 frames...

Jon

You often just can't change a 256 color image directly to 16. What I do is lower it bit by bit; usually you can go from 256 to 100. Then 100 to 50. Hopefully it didn't change much if at all. Next 40, 30, 25, and from there down 1 by 1. Try at least to get to 20, then work from there manually changing the colors in PS or GG so that manually you have 16 colors. You could try from 20 to get to 16, but thats usually where it messes up.

ffta707

Gross, is there an easier way? Sounds like a shit load of work, but maybe not.

EDIT:

I don't know why I didn't just use graphics gale, it is much better than paint, and it does all that other mumbo jumbo for you.

EDIT2:

Another quick question, when you edit a generic, it has 5 palettes, how do I edit the sprite for each, or is it just colors?

GeneralStrife

just colors, for the sides I.E. death corps lionel/church nanten hokuten

ffta707

Thanks GS.

Anyways, I quit on the Mario Sprite (since paint was a pain in the ass, and I think I'm getting better)

Here is an image of the new sprite (Wont quit this time)

Saving as a png messed with the pixels, any recommendations on how to get frames on here? Also, for that reason, it will not look as good as it does on the sheet.

GeneralStrife

Just post bmp, its what i do

ffta707

OK. Well in that case it makes sense it would keep the same quality. Anyways, any criticism on that sprite?

GeneralStrife

Pillow shading, although everyone makes that mistake. Are those slippers he is wearing? It's not THAT bad.

ffta707

First of all, what is pillow shading, is it very light value, not enough dark?

Also, sorry about the pink pixels on the "Slipper" lol. They will be brown soon.

Kill_Bones

Is this based off a character from something or your own creation? The idea itself looks to be a solid one, but it is hard to tell what is off on the real thing you see in shishi and what is just the png screwup. EDIT: Aww no mario? perseverance, young jedi! :wink:

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

Jon

Its base is the male Monk. I think it looks alright, I mean aside from the png mess, the idea is good. Just one thing, what in the world is growing on his back?? Looks like its supposed to be a cape, but something must have gone awry in the posting process. As for saving and posting, png is the way to go if you are using Photoshop, I don't know about GG. I guess a bmp would be better.

Kagebunji

Concept is interesting, but I dunno how it will look in-game. Other thing is that the shading...or rather lack of shading doesn't make it look good, especially the helmet is flat, armor and arms are slightly better, but not good. That weird cape thing must go, and let it come back only after it will look properly. That red line on helmet is flat too, try adding more reds to it. About reds, they aren't saturated or anything, but it looks weird when combined with gray, my suggestion is that you try something else(I would try dark black). And the last thing, it looks like you resized the image, and then worked on it too, cause I see faaaar too thivk lines on him, example can be a line above his left leg(our right), the part in wich armor meets chest(our right too), and the eye looks extremelly weird too, like it was resized improperly. And don't post as BMP, it lags the server or something like it, just get yourself GraphicsGale, and save as PNGs in it.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Kill_Bones

Quote from: "Jon"Its base is the male Monk.
I meant to ask if it was supposed to be from another game, like how you did Link. My fault, bad wording. @FFta The arm on our left (his right) looks really screwy. Try to post a clearer version, I don't want to confuse a computer's error with yours. Overall I agree with Kage and Jon, it isn't bad from what I can see.

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

ffta707

Ah, sorry for leaving you hanging.

Shading is fixed (at least I think).

Also, the reason I quit the Mario sprite is because I had about 12 frames done, then they corrupted, so that turned me off.

Here is an update: (Fixed shading, removed tumor of his back, completed second frame)

Jon

This is much better, now we can see it clearly. Are those like knife sword weapons on his arm? Which character is this, the Biskmatar from FFTA? I think it doesn't look too bad, just needs shading.