• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:08:50 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Which is better Xbox 360 or PS3?

Started by Oblivion, May 20, 2009, 04:56:28 pm

Which is better Xbox 360 or PS3?

PS3
11 (45.8%)
Xbox 360
13 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: May 20, 2009, 04:57:09 pm

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 20, 2009, 10:45:41 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Quote from: "ehrgeiz20"I'm willing to argue my point with anyone. So... who's first?

I'm an Xbox 360 fan.

Xbox 360 graphics tend to be a bit better that PS3, but usually it's not so much that it matters.  Sometimes they both excel in graphics, but in different ways (i.e. framerate, draw distance, background detail, foreground detail, etc.).  The PS3 tends to have more framerate issues.  Here's some of Gamespot's frame-by-frame comparisons if you'd like to dispute:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6171831/index.html
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6191251/index.html
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6201700/index.html

Xbox 360 tends to have better exclusives with the exception of LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, and God of War III.  Anything I've rented for the PS3, aside from Uncharted (which I actually own) and LittleBigPlanet has been rather disappointing, especially Resistance: Fall of Man.  R:FoM is a terrible FPS.  Heavenly Blade deserves note, but the game can be beaten in a few hours with not much replay value.  While there are plenty of 360 exclusive games that eventually came out for the PS3 like Elder Scrolls IV or Ninja Gaiden II, having to wait 6 months to a year to play those games is a huge setback for PS3.

PS3 is also losing one of it's hard hitters, too; it's exclusive claim to the main Final Fantasy series no longer exists (technically you could say that died at FFXI).  Off the top of my head, here are some good games PS3 does not have: the Halo series, Dead Rising, the Gears of War series, Beautiful Katamari, Fable II, and the Dead or Alive series.

PS3 does have Bluray technology though!  But that is only a benefit if you have bluray DVDs.

I'm sure I could add more to my argument, but that's enough to argue against for now.

bisekibungaku

May 21, 2009, 01:17:24 am #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by bisekibungaku
I agree with Philsov. If you're really a gamer, you'll have a PC.

As far as the actual topic though, if I were to choose between PS3 and Xbox360 It would be the PS3.

It has better specs, it has a Blu-ray drive, and it looks cooler :]

All Sony products are over-priced though.

Archael

May 21, 2009, 03:09:40 am #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Vanya"If you go by which has better games then that's strictly a matter of individual taste.

I think the 360 has a much better selection of solid titles than PS3

PS3 Exclusives are not only becoming rarer (they are also coming out for the 360 and Wii), but they are nowhere near the XBOX360 exclusives

The PS3 is more powerful, and has a free (and less populated) online system

The 360 has a much better selection of titles, it's online service is fast and HUGE, but it isn't free

Both break down and both eat up game discs like nobody's business

DarthPaul

May 21, 2009, 10:28:17 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quoteand has a free (and less populated) online system

Which goes to show that free has major setbacks. 50$ a year is not so bad and you could get it out of the way in month 1 with a bit of your spending money and not have to worry about it till that time next year. Though having to pay for online content after having to pay the subscription fee really puts thing in the edge for the PC.

QuoteBoth break down and both eat up game discs like nobody's business

Microsoft has found a fix for the disk eating problem but you have to send in your system to get it. There is also a redr ring fix that they have now, but you have to buy a new 360 to get it(you can't even send it in IIRC).
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Oblivion

May 22, 2009, 02:52:19 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "bisekibungaku"I agree with Philsov. If you're really a gamer, you'll have a PC.

As far as the actual topic though, if I were to choose between PS3 and Xbox360 It would be the PS3.

It has better specs, it has a Blu-ray drive, and it looks cooler :]

All Sony products are over-priced though.

Umm... I have a PC... How do you think I typed this?

Btw, K. Suto beat me in the arguement.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 22, 2009, 03:01:15 am #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
NP, ehrgeiz20.  It was all in fun.  PS3 has the potential to blow the Xbox 360 out of the water, but the price tag has a chokehold on it.  Also, third party developers just haven't gotten used to the PS3 yet, but when they do the PS3 will reach its full glory.  The Blu-ray feature also is another aspect of unrealized potential simply because of the nacent market of Blu-ray.

Overall, the PS3 is the better system, but Xbox 360 just happens to be more marketable which has always been Microsoft's forte.

Archael

May 22, 2009, 03:09:01 am #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
the PS3 better hurry, because the next wave of consoles isn't that far away now

@ Kuraudo:

BS

marketable my ass

xbox360 has tons of problems with red rings, re-calls, is not exactly that marketable. lack of blu-ray support, as well as disc destroying errors

however; xbox360 has an incredible on-line system and a solid line-up of games right from launch, and now the lineup of the PS3 doesn't even compare to the titles on the 360

blu-ray is NOT a setback holding the PS3 back. I know tons of people who bought PS3's just cuz it's a cheap blu-ray player (or was at the time of launch, deffo cheaper than an actual blu ray player) and tons of ppl who buy blu-rays just to watch them on their PS3's

blu-ray is a positive for the PS3 , not a negative...

you can think that the PS3 is better, but find better reasons

Oblivion

May 22, 2009, 03:25:54 am #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "Voldemort"you can think that the PS3 is better, but find better reasons

workin on that...
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 22, 2009, 03:28:39 am #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Quote from: "Voldemort"however; xbox360 has an incredible on-line system and a solid line-up of games right from launch, and now the lineup of the PS3 doesn't even compare to the titles on the 360

You tell me it's not marketable, and then proceed to tell exactly why it is marketable.  I'm confused.

Quote from: "Voldemort"blu-ray is a positive for the PS3, not a negative...

I agree.  I was pointing out that the Blu-ray market is too new for it to be a large positive.

Quote from: "Voldemort"you can think that the PS3 is better, but find better reasons

I believe the PS3 is better specs-wise.  Considering solely the hardware, PS3 is better.  But as my rebuttal to ehrgeiz20 at the top o' the page should evidence, I am a firm Xbox 360 fan for all the reasons that I put up there and more.

Quote from: "Voldemort"XD

No, you are not.  You are a pretty cool guy.

DarthPaul

May 22, 2009, 08:52:32 am #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "K-Suto"You tell me it's not marketable, and then proceed to tell exactly why it is marketable. I'm confused.

Don't bring it up it's funny to watch him argue in a circle.

Quote from: "Voldemort"as well as disc destroying errors

I feel no remorse for those who have had their disk destroyed by this system, because it only happens when you move your console(significantly, not just a bump or nudge). Which the manual, and IIRC the box say not to do.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

May 22, 2009, 12:47:48 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteYou tell me it's not marketable, and then proceed to tell exactly why it is marketable. I'm confused.

ok, let me break it down since if I imply anything it'll be misunderstood apparently

the XBOX360 has it's fair share of reasons that harm it's marketability, right? trouble shooting errors will ruin your rep as a console, regardless of the good features it may have (the on-line system and the good lineup of video games)

get it?

of course the xbox360 has some good features that saved it's marketability from going all the way down to nothing, I was just saying that the reason that it has been a little more successful than the PS3 is not simply because "lol it's more marketable! microsoft is good at marketing!"

I was trying to say that the Xbox360's success is because it actually has some damn good features (probably the best feature of all - great games), not because of some lolmarketing

no amount of marketing could have saved the xbox360 if it wasn't a great gaming system on it's own, not with the PS3 and the Wii around.

If you still don't get what I'm trying to say, then tell me, but don't try to imply that I am contradicting myself, because I'm not. :?

QuoteDon't bring it up it's funny to watch him argue in a circle.

I'm not arguing in circles, actually. If you want to think that I am because Ksuto misunderstood me, then go ahead, but arguing in a circle has nothing to do with others misunderstanding your statements. Sorry bro.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 22, 2009, 03:45:32 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Quote from: "Voldemort"of course the xbox360 has some good features that saved it's marketability from going all the way down to nothing, I was just saying that the reason that it has been a little more successful than the PS3 is not simply because "lol it's more marketable! microsoft is good at marketing!"

I was trying to say that the Xbox360's success is because it actually has some damn good features (probably the best feature of all - great games), not because of some lolmarketing

I think we've misunderstood each other.  While I'm not saying Microsoft had good marketing for the Xbox 360, I'm saying that Microsoft has a marketable product.  It's marketable for the reasons that I've mentioned and that you've mentioned.  While the Xbox 360, in its first two iterations, did have cooling problems (red ring o' death) it has been resolved in newer models and never did much to harm the 360's sales.  I've had my 360 for 3 years now without ever having any problems.

Aside from great games, the chief reason that I think the 360 is marketable over the PS3 is it's price.  This also applies to the Wii.  But the 360 has variable pricing.  Should you not want the 360 Elite for $400, you can choose the normal model for $300, or even less for the Arcade version at $200.  With the PS3, you will always be paying a large amount of money.  It's what detered me for along time, and it's something that has detered others.

Anyway, I think we were just confusing being marketable and having good marketing.

Kinda related, Sony made some questionable marketing moves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPvQmcb8hzk
Then actually used good marketing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgHZ2xaigwk&NR=1

DarthPaul

May 22, 2009, 04:26:05 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Voldemort"I'm not arguing in circles, actually. If you want to think that I am because Ksuto misunderstood me, then go ahead, but arguing in a circle has nothing to do with others misunderstanding your statements. Sorry bro.

I misunderstood you then, too. Sorry but I loled when I read it, and that's all that matters to me.

akwikone

May 22, 2009, 07:46:10 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by akwikone
I would prefer the statement "which do you think is better", mostly 'cause it's preference, and a "both" option would be nice in the poll.

I haven't played much on the PS3, and I own a 360, but I'm going to says they're about even, the biggest issue I have is finding a game with a good story, the last few games I've played on the 360(Fallout 3, Halo 3, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, and Left 4 Dead) have had great gameplay but for the most part lower end story quality... Which is why I want to play FF: XIII, and verses XIII.

deadlyangel91792

May 29, 2009, 08:04:03 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by deadlyangel91792
ok im gettin in on this to start off I BELIEVE THE PS3 IS BETTER why?

well for one while some games may have looked better on the 360 the only reason was that developers were not used to making games on the ps3 blu ray disc they were already used to dvd from the previous gen, a triple layer blu ray disc can hold roughly 92 gigs while a triple layered dvd9 can only hold (i think) 21 gigs.the ps3 doesnt over heat or scratch its games well it takes some serious time to over heat not just 3 hours of gameplay,the ps3 has free online which i might add is NOT crap its online is just as good as the 360 ive played them both and never experienced lag on either ill admit that downloads are a bit faster on the 360 but not that big of a deal,the 360 has more games but most are low quality that average in the 5-7 range the good games like halo 3,gears2,and fable2 are all its got going for it right now this year the ps3 has 24 exclusives lined up the 360 has 6 oops also most ps3 exclusives average from 8-9 the ps3 also has full back ward compatibility the ability to burn your cds AND move them to any usb device,an internet explorer,remote play with the psp,an ever growing arcade that gets bigger every thursday,and well theres more but i dont feel like mentioning them also this year the ps3 will OWN

gojoe

May 29, 2009, 10:50:17 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gojoe
IMO the 360 had the market by the nuts because it had a whole year to make its impressions before its competitors. Not to mention people already networked on live before there was the psn. Then there's the aspect of hackability IMO thats the main problem with the PS3.
I never learn from my mistakes.