• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:47:21 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

So I turned 21 today...

Started by Dominic NY18, May 20, 2009, 11:38:44 am

Cheetah

May 20, 2009, 10:03:26 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Oh yeah I forgot about that car insurance thing going down...that is going to be super exciting in a couple weeks.

Happy B-Day Dom. I actually just never started drinking haha.
Current Projects:

Archael

May 21, 2009, 01:15:45 am #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Dominic NY18"I'm finally 21 and "legal" (in the U.S. anyway).

I should feel happy. But instead of feeling excited, now I'm just a little down for being a year older. At least I have good plans for today.

So how was your 1st birthday at the legal age?.

Exactly the same as yours, not exciting at all

as you know I was born in Puerto Rico, and kids here start getting used to alcohol as early as 15 and 16 yrs of age

we never go through the whole "college rush" of getting as hammered as possible every weekend as soon as we turn 18/19 and go to college

so turning 21 simply meant being able to drink legally when I happen to be in the USA

which is cool I guess, but no real biggie..

IMO USA drinking age should be 18, you guys would avoid tons of drinking issues if children there started learning / respecting alcohol from a way earlier age

beawulfx

May 21, 2009, 01:33:27 am #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Yeah, 21 is a ridiculous age in my opinion. I don't even drink anymore but I think if you are old enough to vote, drive, etc, then you are old enough to purchase your own alcohol. It should be 18/19 at the latest.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

philsov

May 21, 2009, 09:11:23 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteIMO USA drinking age should be 18, you guys would avoid tons of drinking issues if children there started learning / respecting alcohol from a way earlier age

But the reality of the situation is that through either school or sports or some sort of social activity, it's very likely to know someone 21 when you're 18 or 15 when you're 18.  (Or steal from parents etc.)  So really the effective age for easy access to many goods is lower than what legislation states.

I do agree about the learning/respecting thing, but that's more a social/societal/parental issue than a legislative one.  If the drinking age were reduced to 18 the "college rush" would become the "high school rush" and it'd be tweedledum to tweedledee.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

DarthPaul

May 21, 2009, 10:39:16 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
The interesting part of the law is as Phil stated all in the parental control. What I mean is that as long as a child's parent gives their consent they can drink at whatever age they want. Of course if they are too young child's services will get involved but that is only to be expected. I have been drinking since 15(not binge just casual), why, because my parents wanted me used to alcohol by the time I got into the real world. 21 is way to late of an age because if you went to cc then you are now in you own apartment/house with a respectable job (and a child's mentality), and you have just been given legal recognition to start piling them on. This is not very productive and leads to people ruining their life, pretty much as it starts.

I think that there should be legislation in the works that allows 18 year old or even 16 year old to buy alcohol (and consume it) in small amount. Like say a bottle of beer. Though then you would have to crack down on minors being caught too drunk for comfort.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Neuromancer

May 21, 2009, 01:31:46 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Neuromancer
Quote from: "philsov"........what's the difference between a biological and chronological age?

Not all people age equally :P. Some people look (and actually are, metabolically-wise) a lot younger than what their ID number says, and viceversa.

In some people the natural aging process is delayed by several factors, and the same is true for the opposite.

Archael

May 21, 2009, 02:32:00 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteI have been drinking since 15(not binge just casual), why, because my parents wanted me used to alcohol by the time I got into the real world. 21 is way to late of an age because if you went to cc then you are now in you own apartment/house with a respectable job (and a child's mentality), and you have just been given legal recognition to start piling them on. This is not very productive and leads to people ruining their life, pretty much as it starts.

I think that there should be legislation in the works that allows 18 year old or even 16 year old to buy alcohol (and consume it) in small amount. Like say a bottle of beer. Though then you would have to crack down on minors being caught too drunk for comfort.

^ this

Dominic NY18

May 21, 2009, 03:06:47 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: "Neuromancer"
Quote from: "philsov"........what's the difference between a biological and chronological age?

Not all people age equally :P. Some people look (and actually are, metabolically-wise) a lot younger than what their ID number says, and viceversa.

In some people the natural aging process is delayed by several factors, and the same is true for the opposite.

I'm not worried about my biological age. Everyone tells me I could pass for a 17 year old.

Quote from: "darthpaul"The interesting part of the law is as Phil stated all in the parental control. What I mean is that as long as a child's parent gives their consent they can drink at whatever age they want. Of course if they are too young child's services will get involved but that is only to be expected. I have been drinking since 15(not binge just casual), why, because my parents wanted me used to alcohol by the time I got into the real world. 21 is way to late of an age because if you went to cc then you are now in you own apartment/house with a respectable job (and a child's mentality), and you have just been given legal recognition to start piling them on. This is not very productive and leads to people ruining their life, pretty much as it starts.

I agree about the minimum drinking age being lowered to 18. It would be interesting to see how it would happen though, considering how it got to where it is now. The somewhat screwy part about the minimum drinking age is that before 1984, the minimum age varied from state to state. But since the National Minimum Drinking Age Act was passed, any state that didn't prohibit the sale to or public possession of alcohol by folks under the age of 21 can lose some of their federal highway funding. Don't know why highway funding of all things was involved, but then again, political things have been done in stranger ways.

Regardless of it all, I definitely wouldn't want to drink outside of social occasions.

Kaijyuu

May 21, 2009, 04:55:26 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Personally, I think the legal drinking age should be a few years below the driving age. (maybe 18 and 20 [I very much think that 16 is far too young to give people a driver's license])
  • Modding version: PSX

Samuraiblackbelt

May 21, 2009, 05:02:14 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"Personally, I think the legal drinking age should be a few years below the driving age. (maybe 18 and 20 [I very much think that 16 is far too young to give people a driver's license])

but in this day and age you really need to be able to drive at a younger age
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

DarthPaul

May 21, 2009, 07:52:48 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I think the driving age needs to stay where it is because at the age of 16I had a job(Too far away to walk/ride bike).

Also if you are old enough to pay taxes you should be allowed to drink to take away the pain from the kick in the balls that is paying said taxes.

I had to pay taxes this year.........430 bucks......I didn't have a real job year......what the fuck.....any money I made was under the table.....I need a beer now.....
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Kaijyuu

May 22, 2009, 03:01:16 am #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "darthpaul"I think the driving age needs to stay where it is because at the age of 16I had a job(Too far away to walk/ride bike).
Public transportation.

If your city/town doesn't have a good system, then iI understand it's a significant problem. It'd be a good excuse though to force places to improve their public transportation rather than building more highways, though...
  • Modding version: PSX

DarthPaul

May 22, 2009, 08:56:26 am #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
We have very good public transportation. Problem is I live about 6 miles from a buss stop.

Which on a funny coincidence was within 100 feet of my place of employment.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 22, 2009, 12:45:32 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
I was 17 before I got my license.  I don't see a need to have a lowered age to get it, as you can get a learner's permit at fifteen and the earliest legal working age is 14 (at least in Missouri).

Samuraiblackbelt

May 22, 2009, 01:42:09 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
I could really use a job,and I live 20 miles from town,and so when I turn 16 I can get a job,if they raised the driving age any higher I would never have any money

plus there's no public transportation out here (but there IS high speed internet  :D )
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."