• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 06:48:26 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

TactText & EasyVent (v1.91) Questions (Space Concerns)

Started by Neophyte Ronin, January 01, 2013, 05:09:46 am

Neophyte Ronin

Now, I have been chugging along and being careful about three and eight and the author intent in the most miserably translated, but I still have some questions.

1.  How wide of an area do I have when typing cinema text, in pixels?
This would be Events, courtesy of EasyVent.

That's not even the greater concern.

2.  Is there a function in EasyVent where length is addressed?
The prospect of copypasting between one program and the other does not sound appealing.

Knowing the first and the possibility of a shortcut will assist in making sure the script actually looks beautiful in terms of formatting, and also to smooth the rough edges off.

Much of this inquiry is derived from how game data in TactText appears to be of a particular length of pixels, or points.  For instance, situations as the Work History seem to cram or use special space characters (thin ones, expressed as {SP}) to ensure everything is justified and up to 220 length.

This has become a maddening spiral for a guy who prefers to keep everything equidistant when it is implied that it would look better in the long run.  Frankly, it's enough to drive you insane, given that there are so many little text assets sprawled out around just TactText alone.  EasyVent?  That's the cinema playing out, and that includes battles.  In there, length is not provided.  You have to copypasta, doing adjustments and replacing codes and....

Yeah, this is a pain in the butt.

Label it OCD all you want, but if you want to ensure that the text will not float through the panels or end up in strange places or just freeze the system because it's too long (I have the nagging suspicion that can happen, that text is far more temperamental than first thought), then you have to play by the game's in-house rules regarding length of passages.  And hope to God it fits in the end.

At least one question being answered would save this guy shitloads of heartache.

3lric

In events the text length decides how long the box will be and yes at a certain point if it is to long the text will simply not play...

But its pretty easy to tell, hey that line is waaay to fucking long. Other than that you will just have to use Trial and error like the rest of us,
after doing a event or 2 you will know the length that text can be. I don't know the /actual/ length, but I can't assure you that that feature
will not be added to EVSP, not anytime soon anyway. As the source code was lost and rebuilding it isn't gonna be as easy as once thought.
Even if it was, that really isn't a big need, events have to get tested many times before they are complete anyway, so you will know if
something is to long or not. Honestly when it comes to event editing, text isn't really what EVSP is suppose to help with.

(Just make sure each line is long enough to support someone being a douchebag and using the entire length allowed for a players name,
as if someone name Ramza, AAAAAAAAAA or whatever.)

As for Tactext, I don't know, same applies here I guess, trial and error.
  • Modding version: PSX