• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 06:38:32 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Monsters and Blue Magic

Started by VincentCraven, March 20, 2008, 08:08:34 am

VincentCraven

March 20, 2008, 08:08:34 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Original version monsters were too weak, yet I had a few complaints about the FFT Sigma monster's new strength. Like every other aspect, let's try to make each monster useful be it early/easy access, good stats, superb movement, useful skills, versatility, etc.

Also, I believe that Blue Mage's skills should be discussed here. Monster availability has great effect on Blue Mage's skills.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

NeedsMoreNoise

March 20, 2008, 08:11:48 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "VincentCraven"Original version monsters were too weak, yet I had a few complaints about the FFT Sigma monster's new strength. Like every other aspect, let's try to make each monster useful be it early/easy access, good stats, superb movement, useful skills, versatility, etc.

Also, I believe that Blue Mage's skills should be discussed here. Monster availability has great effect on Blue Mage's skills.
Not to sound like a nub, but where can I download Sigma? (Like I've said before, I'm old to playing FFT, but new to things that change it).

VincentCraven

March 20, 2008, 09:03:42 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven

Austin

March 20, 2008, 03:34:04 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Somebody, I think Zodiac, suggested doubling all monster skills efficiency and cutting their multipliers which sounded like a good idea to me. That way blue mages can make use of their skills, and additionally break skills would serve a purpose somewhat when fighting them (except speed which already does).
  • Modding version: PSX

Desocupado

March 20, 2008, 05:34:09 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Desocupado
Let's see:
Monsters suffer from:
Low HP
Low Damage (or just too easy to avoid)
Low movement range (they never improve it)
Crappy skillset (skill work with little chance and/or are pointless)
Huge MA multipliers

I would advise making every monster tier have progressively more damage, movement and better skills than the ones before.
So, for exemple:
Red Goblin would have move 3 and 120 pa;
Black Goblin move 4 and 130 PA and
Green Goblin move 5 and 150 PA

Also I would advise to make all monster of one type, for example, goblins and chocobos appear mostly on chapter 1 and 2. Since breeding could make the player have better units (since monsters would now be useful) than the story battles...
I haven't played the sigma patch, but here are some of the things I did:
Morbol get MUCH more damage and regen.
Mindflare family get's water ball (since it doesn't use elemental skillset, it doesn't need water)
Skeleton family get more spell range (the higher the soul the more range it gets)
Uribo family get much more speed (can you spell nose breath?)
All Dragon's got a Scream based ability (so they become the king of monsters as they should have always been)
Ghost got much better chance to hit with it's touches and better speed.

I haven't tested using mp as monsters, but I believe one could even give more amazing abilities, like Raise 2 on a Treant, or Demi on a Ghost.
Let's never forget, it's pointless to make monster MA so higher than human's,  decrease it and increase skill's K values :p

VincentCraven

March 20, 2008, 08:04:04 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Okay, so in general:

HP Boost (no armor, no added evasion)
Better Skills (they only have a max of 3 +1)
Less ridiculous MA in conjunction with higher multipliers in their skills

And how about we jazz up the reaction abilities a bit. I apparently went wrong with giving Goblins Hamedo but I think having Counter on every single monster is a bit wrong. Uribo do not need Counter, seriously.

As far as movement is concerned, how about we bring in what I think would be cool to call "Operation Chocobo."
The maps are not big enough for Ninja to be walking 8 squares each turn. Seriously, it's absolutely ridiculous. So lets kill off the overpowered movement abilities. Remove Jump+2/3, Move+2/3, Ignore Height, Fly, Teleport.

How does this relate to Chocobo's? If you ever wanted a reason to ride Chocobo's, here it is:
Chocobo - 7 Move, 8 Jump
Black Chocobo - 6 Move, 6 Jump, Walk on Water
Red Chocobo - 9 Move, 2 Jump

Or something to that effect. If humans can only move 6 Squares max, you may consider riding a Chocobo. Probably not, but at least now it isn't a worthless option. Speaking of Chocobo, should Boco be a unique Chocobo? Until we can edit the attributes of a class slot that flag it as 'Chocobo,' Boco cannot be ridden if he is unique.

Austin

March 20, 2008, 08:40:51 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
That all sounds good to me. Also make sure to increase the other monsters' movement ranges by 1 or 2 as well. The only thing I'm worried about with the chocobos being able to move so far is battles where there are more than 2 or 3 of them (finath river) if you change those to include other enemies it should be okay though, and I completely don't care about Boco. I'd probably kick him to the curb no matter what you do to him (and I'm sure most other people would too), so don't worry about it too much. I did like the way the Zirekile Falls battle was set up though, so if you could leave that it'd be cool.

Asmo X

March 20, 2008, 09:15:58 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
I don't mind the monsters getting more powerful with each level of their type so long as they are all different. I'd still want a reason to use a basic goblin on my team.

Maybe some animals should be given better class evasion? Only seems fair. Also, I think it's time we "rate" status effects. This might give us a better idea of where to go with a lot of these monster skills. I personally think Golblin's Eye Gouge and Goblin Punch should be basically 100% accurate. Come on. It's a 1 range BLIND infliction.

karsten

March 21, 2008, 03:54:40 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
the idea of chocobos is ok by me.

so my suggestions on monsters are:

for all monsters add HP, MA, PA.

for all monsters that can't cure themselves:
make them fast i think they should reach 12--15 speed at level 99

specific monsters tuning

skeletons:
higher MA will make them more dangerous. 4 move can help too

chocobos:
fine like that, maybe too good even :D a little more mobile as skeleton maybe?

dragons:
red dragon get fire breath
green dragons, need something mildly useful... maybe we could unlock tail swing by default?

Bombs:
to be dangerous they need more range, and Hps.
so my suggestion on bombs is to give extra Hps, and to give to lv2 bombs the ability blow fire. it strikes from far, and is fire elemental so that bombs can heal themselves.

Trents:
they need 2 of vertical on their attacks. ridiculously high MA, more speed.
we should make their curative skills useful, by giving them a "katana" effect range only for allies. that way they would became useful support monsters for the AI, able to cure hp/mp, giving protect/shell to they companions.

panters
can't tell anything about them. maybe a lil faster?

ghoul/ghosts
difficult task here too. giving them more move would make them use their teleport better.

floatiball/ahriman
need extra HPs.

pisco demons
maybe we should change mind blast so that doesn't give berserk? the mindflares always die killed by berserked chars :D
anyway, first of all 2 vertical on the attack! Speed!
also, they have 2 skills, goo and lick that right now trigger counters are useless. again, it might be interesting to have this skills with a samurai sword like area. this way they would be able to protect their fellow monsters from magic and immobilize enemies from the distance. great morbols have bad breath, that is a really good skill but need at least 1 of vertical.

behemoths
they need their "hidden" skills to be always available.

tiamats are fine

uribos...  :D i saw a nice chibi altima around ;)

your toughts, please.

karsten

trickstardude7

March 21, 2008, 07:04:21 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
perhaps tonberry to replace uribo, or Mog with helpful healing stuff, OR cactuar

NeedsMoreNoise

March 21, 2008, 08:03:15 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "trickstardude7"perhaps tonberry to replace uribo, or Mog with helpful healing stuff, OR cactuar
Tonberry's a good idea, and since there are three different versions of Uribos, couldn't you put three different monsters, instead?

However, I don't think a Mog should be a monster. To my knowledge, there's never been a Mog enemy in any FFT. Cactuar's okay, though, but the only places you'd be able to put it are in the deserts.

trickstardude7

March 21, 2008, 08:06:54 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
Quote from: "NeedsMoreNoise"
Quote from: "trickstardude7"perhaps tonberry to replace uribo, or Mog with helpful healing stuff, OR cactuar
Tonberry's a good idea, and since there are three different versions of Uribos, couldn't you put three different monsters, instead?

However, I don't think a Mog should be a monster. To my knowledge, there's never been a Mog enemy in any FFT. Cactuar's okay, though, but the only places you'd be able to put it are in the deserts.
yeah I suppose you are right

Sen

March 21, 2008, 10:12:07 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
3 kinds of Tonberries like from Chocobo'sDungeon 2 there are 2 more kinds of tonberries one next to green is blue then red.

trickstardude7

March 21, 2008, 10:16:30 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
:shock: the last form should be tonberry King !

Desocupado

March 21, 2008, 08:59:35 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Desocupado
The Birds (Juravi family) aren't really necessary as well.
Maybe the Flans from FFTA would fit better (think about their role).
The birds are just a mobile ranged attacker (with feather bomb).
I believe no one would miss them :p

trickstardude7

March 21, 2008, 09:09:18 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
Quote from: "Desocupado"The Birds (Juravi family) aren't really necessary as well.
I agree

NeedsMoreNoise

March 21, 2008, 09:57:56 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "Desocupado"The Birds (Juravi family) aren't really necessary as well.
I don't know about that, since those are sooo easy to kill. There are tons of familiar monsters in the Final Fantasy's that could work, though. Hell, what about an Ultima Weapon?

Asmo X

March 21, 2008, 10:29:19 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
The problem with splitting up a family of monsters into 3 unique monsters is that if an egg hatches and it's not the same type as itself, it will be bit...weird. Maybe if they were all kind of related in appearance.

Also, "weapon" type monsters would be cool as long as they were fights against multiple enemies. Those one enemy unit battles are just pointless, strategy-wise. Also, "Ultima Weapon" is a stupid name and ought to be changed to something good.

Another monster to consider is the Moomba from FF8.

Sen

March 22, 2008, 12:21:37 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
What else:

Lamias, Imps
the moombas from FF8 are like RedXIII from FF7 they're hienas

Desocupado

March 22, 2008, 06:52:42 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Desocupado
I can see Lamias using:

Slap -> Standard attack
Tail Swing -> A better physical attack
Allure (or Steal Heart) -> A great charm move
Blowfish (100[0] needles) -> Ranged Fixed damage