• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Knox' Sprites etc.

Started by Knox, September 20, 2009, 10:34:38 pm

SilvasRuin

Oh, right, I somehow overlooked the missing purple on the diagonal view.

I don't think the purple is too drowned out.  It's subtle, but it's supposed to be trim anyways.  It's by no means invisible, even on the smaller view.  I love the color scheme he has as it is.

Jon

Yeah, its not too bad. Just my personal taste so to say, blue and purple together have always for me seemed weird, but that is just my point of view. I think that the sprite in general could turn out to be great, it sorta looks like a Fire Emblem General without the helmet.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Knox

Started working on a Squalo sprite, from Katekyo Hitman Reborn, but its not presentable yet but its coming along nicely id like to think.

As for my custom sprite, working with 10 different revisions of it and color schemes just a matter of deciding which one to go with, I'll be sure to post an update soon.

Also going to start an Ulqiorra sprite from Bleach, will take some work but im fairly confident.

I've become inspired with new heights with a muse in my life now :]
  • Modding version: PSX
~Auranhiem

Knox

Here's my Squalo attempt so far, It actually looks half presentable now.

Need crits, and suggestions.

Going to ask a friend i met here who did a blindfolded Riku portrait to do the portrait eventually.

For the most part I think it looks good, the hair came out nicely, I know about the colors ill work that out later- Mostly just need crits on the outfit and shading, maybe the feet and arms.

Here's a picture of Squalo or two for reference,

General:

Head and outfit:

~Auranhiem

SilvasRuin

I don't believe he wears a skirt, especially not that long.  You don't have the hair nearly long enough.    Why did you make the buttons gold?  The sprite as a whole looks really flat and I'd say you were using a variant of pillow shading for a lot of it.  The light source isn't supposed to be straight on.

Knox

He is wearing a trenchcoat type deal thats buttoned over, and i didn't realize about the button color and i intend to fix that.
As for it looking like a skirt, you're right and I'll see what i can do about fixing it.

I'll upload an update in a minute or two.
~Auranhiem

mav

Quote from: "SilvasRuin"The sprite as a whole looks really flat and I'd say you were using a variant of pillow shading for a lot of it.
These are my biggest complaints. If you can fix these, the sprite will definitely be presentable. Once you fix the clothing, it'll look more like the character.

SilvasRuin

I'm going to wind up demanding you do a shark spell animation if you ever finish him, by the way.   :wink:

Knox

I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it but this is my update on my Squalo Sprite.

Anyone that feels that im working too slowly on it and wants to chip in, is welcome to it- I just thought it'd be nice to bring something outrageously different to FFT?

Here it is:

~Auranhiem

jimmyjw88

That jacket/coat is not really working; collar, shoulder, arms, buttons, belt etc etc. Everything is flat and kinda messy. Use Funeral man for that coat part. Collar - Female Thief, Balthier and etc.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Knox

Look what I found!

http://rpg-downloads.com/sprites/final- ... nimnew019/
http://rpg-downloads.com/sprites/final- ... nimnew017/

Kuja and Garnet FFT Style.

And uh... Yeah its not that terrible, I think it looks half-decent, sure it needs work but thats because IT ISNT FINISHED.
And why would i use that fail funeral sprite? As for the rest ill look into it but id rather do my own thing.
~Auranhiem

Kagebunji

Surely, if you will say to yourself that everything you do is good, decent, half decent, perfect etc. you will arrive nowhere. If it is soo "half decent" to you, then don't bother to even ask for crits or someting. Jimmy was right about it looking flat, especially legs are flat. And if it is not finished or something, then you should write it.

As to that two sprites ye posted, I did a better Kuja, that one looks more like FFTA Kuja. And that Garnet is incredibly similiar to mine.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Knox

I dunno how they got there, i just stumbled onto them.

As for my sprite..

I know I'm not very good but im trying and a little encouragement can go a long way, telling me its total shit doesnt help. I know its flat, but im slowly trying to get better, and yeah I gotta tell myself its atleast half-decent or why am i going to bother to keep trying?
I don't mean to make drama, but I don't care to be jumped either.
~Auranhiem

mav

Your sprite needs some refining, but it isn't bad by any means, Knox. My first suggestion is to borrow from as many existing sprites as possible and edit virtually nothing. On the chance that you can't find the pieces you need in existing sprites, just remember to avoid inserting too many details. On this sprite you don't have many details, but you have a lot of intricate pieces. On the jacket, for example, it's hard to tell if those are buttons, shadow, or design. Consider removing them or recoloring them, as necessary.

Good luck, man.

jimmyjw88

Well, for the buttons, Funeral man is good for the base. Although its an unfinish sprite but spriters have to try improvise a little ~ Be creative.
Anyway, it's just a suggestion. If you refuse, its fine by me.

As for the Kuja and Garnet, I thought they look decent at first, from normal view (without zoom) but the moment I zoomed in, it's not decent at all. Its actually kinda crap, sorry to say this to whoever that created these.

Anyway, good luck, Knox.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Knox

I've put my squalo project on hold for a bit, because quite frankly i havent the skill or patience to pull it off just yet.

It's really hard for me to focus lately due to some factors such as being so drowsy from the pills ive been taking and whatnot.
I know it'd be really awesome to have a squalo and maybe when im better at this i might actually take it up again.

For now though, im not doing much spriting but little by little I've been working on my custom one- I haven't really decided what i want to do to make it unique and one of a kind but im constantly thinking about it- most of the ideas i have come to a halt over one small problem.

I know you can import and export palette's with Graphics Gale, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to do it, I've search the dragdown menu's and right clicks which each tool and I can't figure it out. If someone could help me with that, that'd be great.
I know its written here on this forum somewhere but I can't seem to find it again.

I have made some progress on the portrait, though i plan to redo the outfitting as it still slightly resembles delita, but i think its coming along decently so far.

I'll make it my avatar so you can see it.

AND NVM, i finally figured out how to import/export Palettes, i feel like a retard now.
~Auranhiem

Knox

Finally got the hair style i want down on one of the poses, next im going to go with a different outfitting, something custom if i can work something out.

For now, just the hair needs the crits, working on frontal view and back view now, pay not much mind to the outfit im fairly certain im not keeping it.

~Auranhiem

mav

Quote from: "Knox"I have made some progress on the portrait, though i plan to redo the outfitting as it still slightly resembles delita, but i think its coming along decently so far.
If you're up to it, consider changing his chin shape and adding wrinkles, like on Vormav.

This sprite looks pretty good so far--I can't think of any fixes.

Knox

Little update to portrait to match sprite.

For the outfit, im thinking a green and yellow scheme, kind of a bandit vagrant type look. Think Barinten, but with more a cloakish backside to it.
Like a raggity cloth like coat with a yellow leather armor showing from the front.

2 biggest issues i can think of is finding decent boots to go with it, something easy to recolor but manages to look decent.

And ofcourse, I'll be darkening the hair on the sprite just a bit to match his portrait more and hopefully it wont look whacked out ingame.
~Auranhiem

mav

I'd say lighten the portrait's hair--cause the sprite's looks pretty cool. You've also made some great improvements to the portrait, but right now his left cheek (our right) looks kinda swollen and the mouth looks a little strange. I got bored and took a crack at fixing it up a bit. If you're interested in seeing it, let me know; since this is your project, I don't think it'd be fair for me to just interfere outright.