• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:02:40 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Howdy everyone (question about formation sprites)

Started by Einlanzer, May 25, 2010, 05:29:21 pm

Einlanzer

Okay so I've spent the last week or so playing around on the site and trying to teach myself everything.  I've gotten pretty acquainted with most things
but there are still a few issues I'm having trouble with.  

The most distressing one is dealing with formation menu sprites.  I've altered a couple of the sprites in the game (male squires and Gafgarion), but this change only occurs
in battle.  I understand this is because the formation sprite is stored elsewhere, in battle.bin.  

The problem I've come across is that shishi sprite manager refuses to open battle.bin, it gives an error message, and I can't seem to figure out how to manipulate the formation sprites in the ISO.  I want to
change the formation sprites of the new squire and Gaf to match their battle sprites, and would just like to play around with them in general.  Second question in the same area is..
characters who show up as Ramza cannot be altered, or must replace another formation sprite, right?  I would like to give Holy Knight Delita, for example, a formation sprite so I can make him join
but it seems that I would have to override one of the other formation sprites in order to do so, is this correct?

Lastly, is there any way to import the sprites for the PSPs Dark Knight, Argath-deathknight, and Onion Knight into the PSX version?  

Thanks for the help.

Mega_Tyrant

Actually formation screen sprites are stored in the Unit.bin.  And you need FFTEVGRP to open that.
RAWR!

Knox

I'm sure the PSP sprites are posted in PSX format somwhere in the forum here, you'd have to hope someone that has them posts them.
If they do, I'll grab them too hahah.

But yeah, Mega Tyrant is right, you'll need FFTEVGRP to change out the formation sprites and whatnot, and you will probably need graphics gale to change palettes so they don't look weird.
Alot of copying and pasting involved, atleast in the way i do it and im not aware of any other way.

Basically save one of the formation sprites out, then import the palette of the sprite you're putting in, copy the sprite from its sheet over into the little unit box and save and import using the FFTEVGRP
  • Modding version: PSX
~Auranhiem

Einlanzer

Quote from: "Mega_Tyrant"Actually formation screen sprites are stored in the Unit.bin.  And you need FFTEVGRP to open that.

That's what I meant, I have no idea why I said battle.bin - it doesn't even sound right!  But thanks, I'll check that program out right away,
This is the first reference to it I can recall.  

Quote from: "Knox"I'm sure the PSP sprites are posted in PSX format somwhere in the forum here, you'd have to hope someone that has them posts them.
If they do, I'll grab them too hahah.

But yeah, Mega Tyrant is right, you'll need FFTEVGRP to change out the formation sprites and whatnot, and you will probably need graphics gale to change palettes so they don't look weird.
Alot of copying and pasting involved, atleast in the way i do it and im not aware of any other way.

Basically save one of the formation sprites out, then import the palette of the sprite you're putting in, copy the sprite from its sheet over into the little unit box and save and import using the FFTEVGRP

I'm sure it's something I'll have to play around with and get a feel for.  I'm just relieved it's possible because I saw something recently where someone was saying it wasn't.  
Thanks bunches!

VampragonLord

check the sprite request thread up top, im pretty sure ive seen more than a couple psp sprites up there.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~