• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Do you think that, overall, WoTL is a disappointment?

Started by Dokurider, February 12, 2010, 03:47:45 pm

Zozma

I was excited about seeing new sprites,however, to my disappointment... none of the new ones even look like they match the game properly in the first place...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Vanya

¯\(°_0)/¯

Starsoul-klr

I was mainly disappointed by the slowdown of the battle animations. Not only were they slower but the sound effects did not sync with the animation.

The new classes were... underwhelming. Sure we get the Dark Knight but NONE of it's moves have original animations. Onion Knights are more for nostalgia rather then abilities. What I do like about the Dark Knight is that Females have access to Move +3.
Also the new characters just seemed to be slapped together of other jobs.

I did love the New Animations.  Also More Character slots.

Also about 're balancing' sounds like something for a brand new game.

mucus

Quote from: "Donkeyton"...But that would have been more costly and time consuming an undertaking than Square-Enix probably deemed worthwhile, given the potential market size for the game on the PSP (quite small, if extremely loyal)...
... Square knew that the die-hard FFT fans would buy this game in any form, half-baked or otherwise, so long as it was baked at all. And honestly, I can't say I blame them. I'd rather have a flawed, but additional-content version of FFT on the PSP than no version at all...
...Square isn't going to release a game at a financial loss if at all possible. This is the cold, harsh reality of video game publishing.
The psp community is populated with pirates.  This is a fact, I'm not saying that everyone who owns a psp pirates any or all of their games, but it does happen in large enough numbers to matter. If a company produces games, and sees that despite it being a popular game it doesn't sell well . . .well they aren't gonna put a whole lot of money into it.
I make it a point to purchase games that I thing have worth, WoTL is a huge example of this.  I bought it as soon as I knew it existed, full retail from Wal-Mart.  Yes from Wal-Mart, a company like this gets pull with a company like Square-Enix by having the ability to say "Well we have a bajillion stores in a bajillion countries and we see that people are buying *this particular* type of game."  So in essence the act of purchasing this game tells the company that I want them to continue to produce this kind of game.
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is not a disappointment, it is a marvelous standard to which others should be compared.

i was disappointed that the orator's name was changed to mediator.

weltall1028

The only disappointing aspects of the game for me were the slowdown and sound effects.

thisisstupid999

This game does seem to have problems, but I do not think that is a dissapointment. It's the best PSP game I've ever played. Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, almost all PSP games blow. Honestly, the only ones I've actually been pleased with is Final Fantasy and Star Wars Battlefront games. I thought getting a PSP would be fantastic and that there would be really cool games, but I was a little dissapointed, until I got FFWoftL. I was ssoooo pleased. It's really a great game with a great story line. I wish the story was a little longer though and that Dark Knight wasn't so ridiculous to get to.

Xifanie

• Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Archael

QuoteDo you think that, overall, WoTL is a disappointment?

Yes.

thisisstupid999

If this game was a disapointment, why would we all be actually on this website right now that was actually made specifically for this game and hacking it? We all obviously love this game, at least enought to go the trouble of hacking it and talk to random people online about it.

Zozma

the site was originally for the original fft tho. theyre just saying that the WOTL version had a few disappointing aspects such as the gfx slowdown (which just kills the game for me as i love casting spells)
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

thisisstupid999

Yeah I'm with you on that. In the original FFT, the mages weren't quite as powerful, I think, but they're spells casted immediately, and I also miss Bangaa, Moogles, etc. being available to join you. I miss that...

Miroshi Beshima

@thisisstupid999 That would be Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced. Which came after the Original FFT. The Original FFT is the same as WotL except without some bonus things like weapons, multi-player, extra characters and jobs, etc. It was released like a long time ago on the Playstation One. Thats the game that brought this site together. In like 2008 they made the portedPSP version of the game and added a bunch of stuff to it like Onion Knight and Dark Knight, and bonus scenes and stuff. Essentially they're the EXACT game just with one being portable with bonus stuff and the original with a horrid translation lmao.

To me, WotL was not a major disappointment. I really didn't mind the slowdown at all when I first played WotL since I hadn't played the original since like 2001 so i never noticed it. I loved the new translation, it seemed to fit the time period they were trying to portray the game as. There are some broken things in the game and such, but it was, to me, a decent port of the original.

After getting the original again (since my first copy broke in 2001) i did notice the slowdown of the PSP version, it kinda did bothered me, but not too much. Yet, i still believe it was a good port and not a total disappointment.

thisisstupid999

@Miroshi Beshima

Oh how dumb of me. Sorry, I was thinking of the wrong game. Yes of course I know of the original one. I don't know what was going through my head. Just had one of those days I guess.

Wiegraf

War of the Lions is the best game ever made. I swear if it didnt have the slowdown everyone would be raving over it instead of the original with the sloppy humerously bad translation. I personally got used to the slowdown really fast and it doesnt bother me at all.
What troubled sleep have you known to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream must always fade into day...

-Wiegraf

thisisstupid999

Quote from: "Wiegraf"War of the Lions is the best game ever made. I swear if it didnt have the slowdown everyone would be raving over it instead of the original with the sloppy humerously bad translation. I personally got used to the slowdown really fast and it doesnt bother me at all.

If I could like a post, I would like yours lol.

Everyone always talks about a slowdown in the game. I have never experienced anything of the sort on the PSP game. What is it?

Kaijyuu

The special effects don't line up with the sound they make. Use Stasis Sword (or whatever they call it on the PSP), and you'll hear the effect hit before you see it hit.

Concerning the translation, I find it just as bad as the PSX one (though in different ways). Nostalgia however pushes the PSX one above the PSP one for me, though.
  • Modding version: PSX

ffta707

Quote from: "thisisstupid999"This game does seem to have problems, but I do not think that is a dissapointment. It's the best PSP game I've ever played. Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, almost all PSP games blow. Honestly, the only ones I've actually been pleased with is Final Fantasy and Star Wars Battlefront games. I thought getting a PSP would be fantastic and that there would be really cool games, but I was a little dissapointed, until I got FFWoftL. I was ssoooo pleased. It's really a great game with a great story line. I wish the story was a little longer though and that Dark Knight wasn't so ridiculous to get to.

Well, it's fft, so obviously it's the best game for PSP. But wouldn't the original also be the best game for psp? I honestly don't believe you've ever played the original FFT. Without the original, there would be no psp version.  

Plus, why not mention the slowdown? That IS the reason we hate it. And that stupid script.

thisisstupid999

Quote from: "Kaijyuu"The special effects don't line up with the sound they make. Use Stasis Sword (or whatever they call it on the PSP), and you'll hear the effect hit before you see it hit.

Concerning the translation, I find it just as bad as the PSX one (though in different ways). Nostalgia however pushes the PSX one above the PSP one for me, though.

I have encountered nothing of the sort on my game...

thisisstupid999

Quote from: "ffta707"
Quote from: "thisisstupid999"This game does seem to have problems, but I do not think that is a dissapointment. It's the best PSP game I've ever played. Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, almost all PSP games blow. Honestly, the only ones I've actually been pleased with is Final Fantasy and Star Wars Battlefront games. I thought getting a PSP would be fantastic and that there would be really cool games, but I was a little dissapointed, until I got FFWoftL. I was ssoooo pleased. It's really a great game with a great story line. I wish the story was a little longer though and that Dark Knight wasn't so ridiculous to get to.

Well, it's fft, so obviously it's the best game for PSP. But wouldn't the original also be the best game for psp? I honestly don't believe you've ever played the original FFT. Without the original, there would be no psp version.  

Plus, why not mention the slowdown? That IS the reason we hate it. And that stupid script.

No, I haven't played the original, and I don't care to. The differences sound dumb compared to what I'm used to, in my opinion. Also, I don't care what you hate and what you don't. It's of no concern of mine.