• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 04:17:25 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

A few newbie questions.

Started by Vulpes R, November 19, 2009, 03:24:32 pm

Vulpes R

November 19, 2009, 03:24:32 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vulpes R
Just discovered the FFHackticks site a few days ago and have been reading tons, I can adjust events, change sprites, etc; but the hardest trouble I am having is with changing around jobs and such using the FFTPatcher so here I have a few questions!

1. Abilities - In the list there are abilities with no name yet have some values assigned to them. Are these dummy values that can be changed that will not affect the game at all? Or are these just infrequently used abilities that no one has given a name to yet? Can new abilities be added or do you have to replace current ones?

2. Jobs - Delita's sis is listed under jobs. Is hers a job I can edit with a skillset, use Celia (Never Used) sprite set and replace that sprite with my own and thus have a seperate custom character NPC I can add into the game? Anyone have a list of characters/jobs that are either not used or so infrequent it wouldn't matter if they were changed?

3. Bards and Dancers - These are either male or female, can this be done for the other classes (say Mime since it's useless and I wanted to make a new female class) or is this hardcoded into the game?

4. Items - Anyone have a better formula list than the sort of hard to read one in the Patcher?

5. Final question, sorry. xP A lot of values under different tabs have unnassigned names. Are any of these actually USED? Can they be edited? Examples include Action Menus, Abilities, Jobs, etc? I was able to edit ONE...

Assassin Class

92 BLANK (under Steel Giant)
Skillset 4D BLANK (Under Holy Magic)

Had everything all setup, appeared to be running f'n sweet in battle but when I got to the formation screen and tried to buy some new skills with JP the skill trees were faded out (inaccessible) like Worker 8 or a Monster. Can this be changed or...?

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide! :3

Aquablack

November 19, 2009, 10:40:20 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquablack
1. I'm not sure about the blank skills that have values, I'd imagine they're used somewhere.

2. Delita's Sis can be edited, though she needs it to function properly at Zeakden, since it's the reason she's dead through the fight. I don't know if there's an unused job list somewhere.

3.Bards and dancers' gender requirement is as far as I know hardcoded, and I believe the mime cannot be edited at all without being very glitchy.

4. This should help: http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4177

5. Most of the stuff with unassigned names aren't used, especially with skillsets, they should be editable, though I'm not sure if there's room in the text editor to give them names.

If you want to add your own unit who works as a party member, you'll have to sacrifice someone who joins you if you want them to look right. You can free up a few spots as several characters have dupe jobs from when they're guests, and when they join you.

This may help you: http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4124
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

philsov

November 19, 2009, 10:58:10 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
0) WELCOME TO FFH, WHERE ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE

1) All the blanks after Parasite will crash the game.  Superstitionally speaking, the blank after Reflect, Quake (2), and after Stop Bracelet are used in game as effects.  However, the blank after Meteor is free game.  A common practice is consolidating the Bio family to squeeze in new abilities, or gutting some otherwise unique abilities.

2) Delita's Sis actually see some battle time at Fort Zeakden (always:dead :p).  However, jobs that don't have any actual battle time include (but not limited to) are Arc Duke, Arc Witch and Bishop.  I'm not versed at sprite swapping, as those classes have sprites that have face time.  Other candidates include the undead version of generics (wizard, knight, oracle, etc) which can be replaced, ENTD and all, with little recourse.

3) In a roundabout way.  Make level 1 or 2 Bard or Dancer a prereq for other jobs;  just make sure to make Bard or Dancer a little more accessible in the first place.

4) http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4177

5) First off, I'm pretty sure those (blank) jobs are hardcoded towards being monster-types in the first place.  Second, in terms of learning skills and such a lot of stuff is hardcoded towards default value -- if yo give Squire (e.g.) a skillset that isnt Basic Skill, things can go a bit haywire.  But you can edit Basic Skill to include whatever you'd like fine.  

To this end, the jobs I mentioned are used as enemy-only jobs in 1.3, for example, because their default skillset is 00 so teaching them things in the formation menu or accessing their skills in battle may glitch up.  Although, I'm pretty sure the learning/display bug only applies to generics.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Vulpes R

November 20, 2009, 01:41:22 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vulpes R
Quote from: "Aquablack"1. I'm not sure about the blank skills that have values, I'd imagine they're used somewhere.

2. Delita's Sis can be edited, though she needs it to function properly at Zeakden, since it's the reason she's dead through the fight. I don't know if there's an unused job list somewhere.

3.Bards and dancers' gender requirement is as far as I know hardcoded, and I believe the mime cannot be edited at all without being very glitchy.

4. This should help: http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4177

5. Most of the stuff with unassigned names aren't used, especially with skillsets, they should be editable, though I'm not sure if there's room in the text editor to give them names.

If you want to add your own unit who works as a party member, you'll have to sacrifice someone who joins you if you want them to look right. You can free up a few spots as several characters have dupe jobs from when they're guests, and when they join you.

This may help you: http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4124

Quote(0) WELCOME TO FFH, WHERE ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE

1) All the blanks after Parasite will crash the game. Superstitionally speaking, the blank after Reflect, Quake (2), and after Stop Bracelet are used in game as effects. However, the blank after Meteor is free game. A common practice is consolidating the Bio family to squeeze in new abilities, or gutting some otherwise unique abilities.

2) Delita's Sis actually see some battle time at Fort Zeakden (always:dead :p). However, jobs that don't have any actual battle time include (but not limited to) are Arc Duke, Arc Witch and Bishop. I'm not versed at sprite swapping, as those classes have sprites that have face time. Other candidates include the undead version of generics (wizard, knight, oracle, etc) which can be replaced, ENTD and all, with little recourse.

3) In a roundabout way. Make level 1 or 2 Bard or Dancer a prereq for other jobs; just make sure to make Bard or Dancer a little more accessible in the first place.

4) http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4177

5) First off, I'm pretty sure those (blank) jobs are hardcoded towards being monster-types in the first place. Second, in terms of learning skills and such a lot of stuff is hardcoded towards default value -- if yo give Squire (e.g.) a skillset that isnt Basic Skill, things can go a bit haywire. But you can edit Basic Skill to include whatever you'd like fine.

To this end, the jobs I mentioned are used as enemy-only jobs in 1.3, for example, because their default skillset is 00 so teaching them things in the formation menu or accessing their skills in battle may glitch up. Although, I'm pretty sure the learning/display bug only applies to generics.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have successfully made a job (Necromancer) by using up the Bard job. This job can be accessed by all characters on the job wheel. My next plan is to replace the Calculator with a female only Druid (thanks for the Dancer prereq idea).

I wanted to replace the craptastic Mime job but now I am worried it is glitchy. )< If I CAN, then that would be three new jobs (replacing Bard, Mimic and Calculator).

My secondary plan is to replace a few of the NPC characters with new jobs/sprites/names which -shouldn't- be too big of an issue. My one concern is properly keeping Algus in the party. I suppose I would have to look through the ENTD and select the right boxes? Could I also use that notion to make Algus/Delita playable early in the game?

So generics are the most glitchy I understand? Using the 15 steps thread it suggests using a generic. More basic plans include:

Sprite swaps for unused Celia and her sister. This frees up two custom sprite slots for two unique characters, and with all the undead characters/3 unused classes; that makes a pretty big total. The undead don't have their own sprites do they?

There are a FEW open text slots from what I have found, but none that are concrete yet.

Thanks again for all the information. Mayhap in the future I will post some progress formulas on the forum for some classes and a step-by-step to create them for n00bs like me. xP

crcbad

November 20, 2009, 08:58:45 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by crcbad
Necromancer... Druid.... Nyeh, Death Knight ftw :D

philsov

November 20, 2009, 09:20:48 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
1) MIME IS NOT CRAPTASTIC!  GTFO PLEBIAN.

1.5) Nah, mime's hardcoded out the ass

QuoteMy one concern is properly keeping Algus in the party.

Unless you mess with 04 Squire, it shouldn't be an issue.  (Maybe 05?  Dunno).

QuoteCould I also use that notion to make Algus/Delita playable early in the game?

You can make the guests controllable in the ENTD, yes.

QuoteUsing the 15 steps thread it suggests using a generic.

No >_>.  It suggested Sorcerer (Kletain) to play with.  But, yes, generics can be glitchy about recieving custom skillsets.  But muddling with their own skillset, even complete gutting and replacing, is no big deal.

QuoteThere are a FEW open text slots from what I have found, but none that are concrete yet.

For every blank in patcher, there's a blank in text slot (abilities, skillsets, etc).  As far as names go, Rokofare and Sinogue can easily be removed.

Vulpes R

November 20, 2009, 09:56:40 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vulpes R
QuoteNecromancer... Druid.... Nyeh, Death Knight ftw :P

This info was helpful for me too, a newbie :D

Bah I say! Death Knight is overdone. xP I wanted something unique yet still with the feel of the game. I posted a Druid idea in the board; using some of the treant family abilities and such.

QuoteNo >_>. It suggested Sorcerer (Kletain) to play with. But, yes, generics can be glitchy about recieving custom skillsets. But muddling with their own skillset, even complete gutting and replacing, is no big deal.

Shush, I read that wrong. )< It -replaces- a generic in the Gariland Magic City battle. I had a thought on your post anyhow, wouldn't it be just as easy to explain that system through the FIRST battle in the game? Maybe replacing Rad and setting him up as a custom character who is controllable? Makes more sense to me than having to constantly go through that intro story and such.

QuoteFor every blank in patcher, there's a blank in text slot (abilities, skillsets, etc). As far as names go, Rokofare and Sinogue can easily be removed.

I saw those names and didn't recall seeing them in the game anywhere, forgotten characters somewhere along the line? Either way, grand idea. You're just full of them! :D Someone really should make a very simplified newbie guide with hints like that.

Blank spots don't always work though. I tried a few last night and they still don't show up even when properly assigned so I dunno.

QuoteUnless you mess with 04 Squire, it shouldn't be an issue. (Maybe 05? Dunno).

o_o; Not sure what you mean by that one. I was thinking of using the "join after battle" option clicked and possibly removing the event where he leaves the party/when he kills Delita's sister. But that brings me to another big-assed question.

I read through the FAQ posted about event editor, done the steps but what I cannot figure out is...

Animations of characters. Take for example the very first scene. Rad, Ramza and Gafgarion all bow. Now if you're using custom sprites they glitch all to hell and back. Where can one find the specific amins in the event file to remove said admins?

philsov

November 20, 2009, 10:52:16 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quotewouldn't it be just as easy to explain that system through the FIRST battle in the game?

It's not nearly as easy.  Inserting your custom character when ramza's level 1 and you're outright handed 6 or so generics is the best option.

QuoteNot sure what you mean by that one.

nm, misunderstood your statement.  But Zeakden will certainly be, uh, different without Algus there as a bad guy.

QuoteI read through the FAQ posted about event editor

Well... Using dialogue as a frame of reference:  The bow occurs right before Gaf says "will this do, we're busy", right?  That's message 8, so you look at the text prior to that:

QuoteDisplayMessage(x10,x92,x0007,x34,x00,x00,+00000,+00000,+00001,x00)
WaitForInstruction(x01,x00)
CloseDialog(x01,xFFFF,x00,x00)
Wait(00004)
CloseDialog(x02,xFFFF,x00,x00)
Wait(00010)
UnitAnim(x02,x00,x61,x02,x00)
Wait(00005)
UnitAnim(x83,x00,x63,x02,x00)
Wait(00025)
UnitAnim(x17,x00,x5F,x02,x00)
Wait(00025)

DisplayMessage(x10,x11,x0008,x17,x00,x00,+00000,+00000,+00000,x03)
Wait(00024)
DisplayMessage(x10,x92,x0009,x34,x00,x00,+00000,+00000,+00001,x00)
Wait(00005)
UnitAnim(x17,x00,x60,x02,x00)

//Message x07
{font:08}Agrias{br}
{font:00}Don't be rude to the Princess,{br}
Gafgarion.{end}

//Message x08
{font:08}Gafgarion{br}
{font:00}Is this going to be alright,{br}
Agrias?{br}
This is an urgent issue for us.{end}

//Message x09
{font:08}Agrias{br}
{font:00}So there are rude knaves{br}
even among the Hokuten?{end}

From the looks of it:

UnitAnim(x02,x00,x61,x02,x00)

x02 = ramza squire sprite
x61 = kneel?

UnitAnim(x83,x00,x63,x02,x00)

x83 = generic male sprite (rad, squire)
x63 = kneel?

UnitAnim(x17,x00,x5F,x02,x00)
x17 = Gaf sprite
x5f = bow

I really don't understand why the sprites are glitchy if they are done properly, kneeling is a very common pose (critical).  Bowing, probably not, but I don't know spriting all that much.

Edit:  In case you haven't found it yet:

http://www.ffhacktics.com/instructions.php

QuoteParameters:
Unit ID : Byte (hex)
Affect All : Byte (hex)
SEQ ID : Byte (hex)
EVTCHR Frame : Byte (hex)
Unknown 1 : Byte (hex)

So...  UnitAnim(x17,x00,x5F,x02,x00)

x17 = unit ID 17 (Gaf)
x00 = affecting only himself
x5F = bowing
x02 = no freakin clue*
x00 = unknown, don't bother

*EVTCHR Frame : Byte (hex)
Load an animation sequence or stance from the loaded EVTCHR.BIN block.
0x00 = Use SEQ animation
0x01 = EVTCHR Block 1
0x02 = EVTCHR Block 2

Vulpes R

November 20, 2009, 04:16:16 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vulpes R
QuoteDisplayMessage(x10,x11,x0008,x17,x00,x00,+00000,+00000,+00000,x03)

Ahhh, now I dig your funky fresh vibe. On the DisplayMessage the third value is the text while...

QuoteUnitAnim(x02,x00,x61,x02,x00)

...the third value in UnitAmin is the actual animation. Very good then. Though even with the link you posted (that I checked out some time ago); the list is VERY incomplete. I suppose it's gonna be a lot of trial and error if I want to use custom sprites.

QuoteI really don't understand why the sprites are glitchy if they are done properly, kneeling is a very common pose (critical). Bowing, probably not, but I don't know spriting all that much.

I thought the exact same thing, but I guess it's just a few pixels off or something. Another thing happens in the opening scene, Agrias extends her hand out when talking to Ovelia. Only animation close to that would be the "invite" Mediator command, but again the sprite glitches. It reverts back to the original character sprite but retains the palette of the new sprite.

Hence the removal/replacement of certain animations. Maybe if I am ambitious enough while tinkering I can write up a complete list of the animation values. Maybe. D:

And finally I end a post with no more questions at this time. I shall tinker away and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all your help. I am sure I will have more on my mind in the future.

Kokojo

November 20, 2009, 06:56:48 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
When the animation uses the the x01 or x02 in the fourth byte, the animation is ''harcoded'' into the eventchar animations, and I though they start at 50.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Vulpes R

November 20, 2009, 09:30:42 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vulpes R
Quote from: "Kokojo"When the animation uses the the x01 or x02 in the fourth byte, the animation is ''harcoded'' into the eventchar animations, and I though they start at 50.

So even if it's hardcoded they cannot simply be deleted or...?

Kokojo

November 20, 2009, 10:37:02 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
They can be replaced using the evtchr editor, of course ! But you need to make them yourself.

I cannot link to the editor - I really don't know where the link is, but someone should be able to find it for me. At the worst il upload it for you.

Aquablack

November 21, 2009, 12:02:41 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquablack
Here's the link to the evtchr editor.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/isjbq8
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Kokojo

November 21, 2009, 12:28:53 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Thank you, Aqua ^^

Vulpes R

November 21, 2009, 03:09:35 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vulpes R
Ok then, now I have a question! Do I extract the files from my ISO using CD Image just as I would with the PSX Events? Location of said files?

Getting better at changing stuff around, but I think this part may be a distant future project. For now just working on the editing of jobs, abilities and such. Putting in new sprites is such a pain when they don't work with the animations. -_-

DarkxFatal

December 14, 2009, 08:22:58 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by DarkxFatal
Just a kind of random response but Squire 07 is Algus', 04 is Delita :D)
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Tristan#9682

LastingDawn

December 14, 2009, 08:29:25 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Pretty late in the game... but the skills after Parasite are usable, the only thing that freezes the game is the "effects" they are set to use, but make sure not to replace the skill Right above Potion, that happens to be Attack.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

DarkxFatal

December 14, 2009, 08:44:27 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by DarkxFatal
Yes, that would be bad...Then again..Attack would just be turned into that skill, yes? Unless it just glitches and you can't use Attack =/

It's a good thing I didn't go that far down then, but I was wondering..

Is it possible to replace the skills like Vertical/Horizontal Jump, and the Charges? Because if you can, that'll allow me to do more skills..

And what's the specific animation for using a weapon in an ability? It's the same for the Break skills and Leg/Arm Aim, right? (I'm using this for my Hunter job class. Right now, they 'punche' for most of their skills =/)
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Tristan#9682