• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:24:45 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Job name changing letters

Started by MerlinRST, December 07, 2022, 07:38:12 pm

MerlinRST

Hello everyone, I have a small problem and I needed to enlist the help of more experienced people this time, because today was a very exhausting day for me and I'm very tired, my head is about to "explode" with so much confusion, so yeah difficult to solve this alone...
I'm still getting the hang of using the game creation/modification tools. And since I'm still not able to create a dedicated mod, I'm changing mine in a way that it follows the same path as the original vanilla. However, as I changed all the characters to create a "new story", I am needing to change the lines of the dialogues during the game.
I'm currently changing the dialogs for the starting events (involving Algus), and when I finished and saved the dialogs for the events (025 Introducing Algus) and (027 Returning to Igros), I noticed that something made the name of one of the jobs, stay in Chinese, I tried to return to normal with FFTactext, but it continued with another error...
Are there any limitations I should avoid when changing original campaign dialogues? Because I'm not putting too much text or using special characters, just a few words... I would like your help, if possible.
Since I'm at the beginning of the game, the only mistake I could notice was in the name of the job, so I'll probably have problems with other words as the game progresses. Solving this before dedicating myself more would be very good.

• Modding version: PSX
Merlin was here! ;)
  • Discord username: Harley Quinn#0534

Jumza

I've never heard of a bug like this before! What I would recommend is patching your story modifications on to a fresh image to see if the problem persists (then you know that stuff is the culprit).

Though, I find this very unlikely. I assume you've also made changes with FFTacText and/or the Attack.Out editor, either of these is more likely in my mind. In those cases I'd recommend doing the same as I said above but for those, then you can isolate the problem and work from there
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

MerlinRST

Quote from: Jumza on December 08, 2022, 11:26:05 amI've never heard of a bug like this before! What I would recommend is patching your story modifications on to a fresh image to see if the problem persists (then you know that stuff is the culprit).

Though, I find this very unlikely. I assume you've also made changes with FFTacText and/or the Attack.Out editor, either of these is more likely in my mind. In those cases I'd recommend doing the same as I said above but for those, then you can isolate the problem and work from there
I believe that could be it. Currently the only things I changed in FFTactext were the job names and their skillsets, and of course the names of some of the main characters. Nothing more. But in Attack.Out, I tried to remove that conversation scene between Algus, Ramza and Delita, so that it ended the battle and I went directly back to the map, but as I have no experience with that, it clearly went wrong. So what I did was open Attack.Out again and return the event as it was before, and the event itself worked, the dialogs appeared as they should and then I returned to the map. Only later when I went to do that battle again to see if everything was right, that I noticed the change in the name of the Knight Job. I went to "new game" and noticed that all classes involving the word "Knight" had been left in Japanese (Including Agrias and Gaffgarion's Job). I went to FFTactext and renamed Knight's work and saved it, and when I returned to the game the name in Japanese had come out, but it kept appearing as "Kthght". I'll do as you advised and change only the dialogs to a clean vanilla, and I'll see if the error occurs again. Other than that, the only thing that makes me open Attack.Out is to change the music that plays in each moment. However, thanks for the advice!
Merlin was here! ;)

Jumza

There is definitely a crossing of wires happening when you patch your attack.out and tactext stuff if you're getting entries like Kthgt! I would recommend keeping your TacText changes saved in a separate .tactext file and always opening that rather than ever opening from a patched image. You will also have to repatch your text every time you make attack.out changes since it contains some text like job names and the like (and I have a feeling you aren't re-ripping your attack.out to make edits to it every time you do text modifications)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

MerlinRST

Exactly. I was only re-importing it when I made changes to map music, I didn't know I needed to import it every time I changed other texts. Thank you for the advice
Merlin was here! ;)

Glain

I believe the attack.out editor can output an XML that can be applied with FFTorgASM.  That might be easier than importing the file because that way you won't overwrite Tactext's edits.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown