• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:34:07 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT Death in FFTA and FFTA Ironman Mode [Release]

Started by Leonarth, September 17, 2018, 10:58:24 am

Nyzer

The game freezes when I complete the first Jagd battle in the FFT-Like Death, No Judges patch.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Leonarth

Thanks for the report.
Could you provide a savefile to facilitate testing?

Nyzer

July 19, 2020, 11:19:04 am #22 Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:14:55 pm by Nyzer
Not for that fight, as I simply cleared it on an unmodded ROM, but it does happen again when I do the mission to go back, and I can get you that file.

Also, in the Nubswood Base mission, all three enemies have dialogue at the end of the fight. Didn't crash the game, but one permadead enemy had the camera float well away from the battlefield for their line before coming back.

Leonarth

Thanks for reporting this issue! The patches have already been updated, you can get them from the post they were originally found in. Additionally, the buildfile version in the engine hacks repo has also been updated.

You can find an explanation on the fixes below, for anyone that's curious.

Quote from: undefinedone permadead enemy had the camera float well away from the battlefield
What happened here, as I guess you already imagined, is that the camera tried to focus on a unit that's no longer fielded. I've been thinking about this and today something occurred to me: if an unfielded unit causes this issue, how does the game handle units that left the battlefield through abilities such as Parley in vanilla?

As it turns out, when a unit is unfielded in vanilla a flag is set on their unit flags (similar to how a unit is marked as a boss, for example), this flag (0x0020) makes the unit be ignored for the purposes of cutscenes and targeting. I made units get this flag when removed through FFT death, so the issue should now be solved. Additionally, I made it unset the fielded (0x0001) flag, just in case.

I only tested the fix in Nubswood Base but I don't see why it wouldn't work everywhere else.

As for the game freezing after winning the first Jagd mission, I could not replicate this with the buildfile version of the patch. The difference is that the buildfile version does not remove Jagd death animations. I'm not sure why that was in the .ups version to begin with so I'll just update the patches with that removed. This should fix the Jagd ending cutscene hanging, it does mean Jagds have both FFT and Jagd death.