• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

First Sprite: Morrissey

Started by emptycanyon, July 30, 2011, 12:12:41 am

emptycanyon

Hey everyone, first sprite project. Eventually I would like the make some animated sprites, but don't have any of the programs downloaded. This was supposed to be Morrissey of the Smiths, tried combing Elmdor, Dycedarg, and a random civilian with some editing jobs on the hair and clothing. Let me know what you guys think or if you had any advice.

The most trouble I had was coloring the hair and some shading here and there.

Also, some future ideas include an animated Ganesha, probably made from Queklain and Velius with a custom head.

New to the forum as well, hope everything works out!
Working on a Morrissey sprite.

GeneralStrife

Not bad for a first try, first glance, left side of face is creepy. Linear and eye goes into a strange cave. I like what you've done with the hair. The portrait pros should be along shortly.

Phlashblazer

Quote from: emptycanyon on July 30, 2011, 12:12:41 am
Hey everyone, first sprite project. Eventually I would like the make some animated sprites, but don't have any of the programs downloaded. This was supposed to be Morrissey of the Smiths, tried combing Elmdor, Dycedarg, and a random civilian with some editing jobs on the hair and clothing. Let me know what you guys think or if you had any advice.

The most trouble I had was coloring the hair and some shading here and there.

Also, some future ideas include an animated Ganesha, probably made from Queklain and Velius with a custom head.

New to the forum as well, hope everything works out!

Nice job putting them together man!  Interested to see how you'll polish your portrait up.  I think you've captured Elmdor's facial features and skin tone well, but the hair looks a little iffy.  I don't know if you want to keep that right eye under the hair... either way, you may need to edit the hair/eye, or both.  Good luck, please take a look at my thread for my custom portrait as well, I'll also be updating my portrait through my forum pic!
Even so, my hands will bring relief to people who have learned to live without hope, a human being who feeds on his brother is not a man anymore... he is a mad dog, and should be dealt the same fate.

emptycanyon

Thanks for the advice you guys, here's a picture of what Morrissey looks like for reference. His jaw is a little weird because he has a huge underbite haha

RandMuadDib

there appear to be three incredibly bright pixels in his hair... the should be fixed, methinks. though i'm not really a spriter, they just look really out of place
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

GeneralStrife

What the hell, I swear last time I looked at the portrait those weird white pixels weren't there.
Whatever, yeah they need to go.
Also, remember you cannot exceed 16 colors.

Kagebunji

Reds are way too saturated, hair is very dark as well. I advise using Olan for black colors. Elmdor jaw line is really funky, and shouldn't be used in anything, it is just like a square. Those are three thing that caught me eye the most.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

emptycanyon

Will change the hair using Olan colors later, have to go to work  :|

Here are some minor changes: used Elmdor's red on the clothing, got rid of the three bright pixels

emptycanyon

Okay, here's the updated version again. I used Olan's color palette for the hair, not sure how i like it though.

emptycanyon

looks really splotchy, basically just made this for fun and not in game use. might stick with the old hair color

GeneralStrife

Yeah, weird deviation of color at the top.
Strange box of pixels near the ear, no shading.
derp.

RandMuadDib

its probably just me... but... does he remind anyone else of Capt. Malcolm Reynolds?
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Kagebunji

Olan surely looks weird on this one. The only black that now comes to my mind is Hydra, but it has soo many shades that you would have to pick carefully. There is also the Dark Behemot.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Cheetah

Lets see that portrait at 100% without a black background and maybe we can give you so more color advice.
Current Projects:

emptycanyon

since i'm using MS paint, how can i export an image without a background?

MagiusRerecros

Quote from: RandMuadDib on July 31, 2011, 04:20:09 am
its probably just me... but... does he remind anyone else of Capt. Malcolm Reynolds?

No. Not even a little bit. It's definitely just you.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Cheetah

Just make the black the default tan of all the portraits.
Current Projects: