• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Questions about editing with FFTPatcher and EasyVent v7

Started by 3lric, September 22, 2011, 12:25:01 pm

3lric

Okay so im kind of new here, but final fantasy tactics is my all time favorite game so no matter what it takes i WILL finish the mod im working on,
basically I'm trying to make a mod involving main characters from a few different games, i already have most of the story written on my PC and
ive already edited all the names and skillsets in FFTactext so that everything shows up as it should on the main char now, im using in this
mod currently, Ramza, Delita, Algus, Zalbag, Dycedarg, Orlandu, Olan and Beowulf, altho Ramza is the only one with his sprite as the others
will be Link, Snake, Rei, Alucard, Crono, etc etc.

Anyway currently im trying to make an event so i can get a feel of how it works, i used EasyVent to replace all the x17 (gafgarian) with x07
(Algus) and then i used FFTPatcher and went to ENTD and edited 100 (Beginning of game inside Orbonne) i changed the Sprite, Name and
Unit ID to 07 since that should be Algus, now my issue is that every one of these things ive done has just made Gafgarian appear completely
invisible yet still appear with his name just no picture  :gay:.. Now i thought i was doing this right, but then again i could've messed something
or even every step up, but i just dont know.. If anyone could please lend a hand and tell me what im doing wrong i would very much appreciate it,
this whole event thing is the only thing holding me back from what could potentially be a really cool new mod for FFT.

P.S. At this point my main goal is to replace all the units in the church with the units ive modified, this has nothing to do with my story, this is
just for testing, i just want to be able to see my character in this scene and then i want to move on to making them all be in the fight directly
after the church scene which would be replacing Rad and the 2 female knight since obviously i wont be using Simon or the Princess in the fight

Thanx again,
Elric42
  • Modding version: PSX

RavenOfRazgriz

The name is controlled by the text at the bottom, so his name will be displayed as Gafgarion unless you scroll down and edit it manually.  That's not related to Sprite changes at all.

As for him appearing invisible, look for a command called Draw() in your event, and make sure that the one related to x17 Gafgarion is changed to x07 Algus.  It sounds like you just forgot to change the Draw command, meaning Algus' sprite is never drawn into the screen.  Considering the event doesn't otherwise hang or anything, it seems like you're otherwise getting a hang on your basics pretty quickly and just missed something not-so-obvious.

This should fix your error, though, by finding the Draw() command and setting it to actually draw your sprite.  There's other commands like Erase() that you should also check to be sure are properly set to x07 Algus and not x17 Gafgarion, since they'll give you similar errors otherwise.

Hope it helps.

3lric

ill give that a shot, i thought i had got them all since EasyVent has an option to replace a number with another one, it would be part of the same event tho correct? and thank you for the help :)

RavenOfRazgriz

There's still the chance you could've missed it, Find/Replace is nice but never forget to look over things by hand if something's wrong.

It would be part of the same event, yes, located somewhere before Gafgarion's command to walk into the room.  The alternative is that the sprite isn't being loaded for some other reason, but that's easier to debug once you're sure all the commands in the event itself are correct.

3lric

thank you very much, im gonna load up my clean version of fft put in my text and FFTPatch and then start working on the Event again,
my main worry was that i was doing something completely wrong, but with your advice i think i can handle it now, thank you very much
for the program as well, it does seem complicated since ive never done any coding in my life, but it does seem infinitly easier to work with
then just opening up the text document and having a go at it all on my own.

One more question, and its prolly a dumb one, but do i need to edit the ATTACK.OUT at all or is eveything im trying to do for my test simply
done with just editing and recompiling the event in the test.evt?

3lric

IT WORKED! Raven you are GOD! I think besides missing one of the Draw commcands as u mentioned because
i did find 2 that i missed, but also i have a feeling it had something to do withFFTPatcher, when i entered the
Unit ID in ENTD the first time i entered it as 07 when in fact the patcher reads single digits as just that did all
the modifications once again and replaced the 07 with 7 for Algus and BAM loaded the game expecting another
failure on my part but in walks Link with Duke Ramza and Rad!

Now to start working on something a lil more complex, ill let you knwo if i have any other questions, thanx again
mate your a life saver :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

RavenOfRazgriz

Glad to hear it worked for you.

You don't need to touch ATTACK.OUT as long as you don't change the actual flow of the game (number of events/cutscenes/battle triggers/etc).  For simple edits like Sprite changes, text changes, etc. you shouldn't need to touch it.  When you start doing complex edits, then you'll need to touch the various ATTACK.OUT Editors.

3lric

are there any good tutorials out for editing ATTACK.OUT? because now that i know how to make characters spawn and
edit the events, if i really want this game to work im gonna need to add and remove and change some event and maybe
even make a few custom maps, ill look around the forums but if you could point me in the right direction for what it sounds
like im trying to do i would be greatful, ive been playing CoP and i really like the way it was done so im looking to do something
like that, but i may still leave in the random battles just because i like some filler.

RavenOfRazgriz

This is my tutorial for editing the ATTACK.OUT Battle Event Conditionals.  This is how you edit when and which events trigger, specifically during battle.  There's other things like WORLD.BIN you need to edit if you want to change the overworld, and a second part of ATTACK.OUT you need to edit if you want to change event allocation, but I don't have the tutorial for the first on-hand and don't think there is one for the second.  Writing up one for the latter should be easy, though.

3lric

OK so if im understanding correctly, i use the Attack.out editor to change around what events happen in what order but if i say wanted to make the fight at mandalia plains with the thieves where u rescue algus have different conditions to win the actual fight id still need to edit Attack.out in a Hex editor?