• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:55:22 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

A proposal of sorts.

Started by SilverTAG, June 23, 2010, 11:05:37 am

SilverTAG

So, ever since getting involved in this community and pondering the forums too and fro.
I've realized all the great potential here. I've thought long and hard on the game I've always wanted to see hit the shelves.
I've played my fair share of MMORPGs killing time looking for something better something that would fit me more, because although I loved some of them, it never seemed to satisfy me very much. I eventually came to a realization that the only game I would ever truly love is a tactical MMO. And so my search began. I came across Dofus first, it was highly disappointing. From the way you had to pay  just to really get to do anything, to the game play itself, it didn't even skim the line of anything close to the Tactical Rpgs I've loved and enjoyed such as FFTactics, Phantom Brave and Disgaea. My ultimate gaming dream was always to see FFTactics hit Online play in a sense. Only square could really bring forth such a dream, but its not something I ever see happening.
I also came across Bang! Howdy, which is another Tactical MMO it too has a retarded way of payment, but the game play, while very different is flawless, its fresh its new, and it makes sense, I would indeed call it absolutely brilliant, and I've thought and purged on the idea of a revised FFTactics, a game with the skill, job, endless details to character advancement and applying it to Bang! Howdys flow of its combat system.

I mean lets be realistic, to lay the question out I guess... Here it is, think about all the Tactical MMOs out there, how many good ones? 1 Maybe 2. And their just not what I and I'm sure many other people are REALLY looking for. I love this website and everything it stands for, but we have something more here, we could do something better. If we remodeled FFTactics and made it our own, in a sense RIP all the shit we love from it and RIP other ideas and mix it up and blend it into a new scene, and apply a new story, etc etc. Creating our own job set, skill sets, Power Magic and Speed character creations ladi dadi, I really think that what we have here is more then what were doing now. We could create something great, were practically sitting on a gold mine. Our number one competitor would be DOFUS, which... Is like I said, nothing in comparison to what a tactical mmo would, could, or should be. Imagine, if we crafted our own game with our own ideas but similar to all those games we've loved, we could enhance everything, and make it better, more thorough, I have so many ideas, so many things we could implement into something like this and I'm sure you all do too.

Anyways, right now... All I'm really looking for right now is some feedback, some thoughts, of what you all think about this. Flare on, or applaud, but for gods sakes give me something. We have testers, we have artists, we have people who know what their doing behind a computer and we have people with ideas, we have stories, I'm sure somewhere in here, we have someone who knows a thing or two about programming, and about everything we'll need to see this mission through. So the idea is laid out upon the table, so lets hear it, what do you have to say?

I'll sadly be gone for a day or two, so my responses will not be immediate, I just wanted to throw this out before I left. I may be able to get on during these days but I'm not sure, so don't rely on it, but I will be back to check on this ASAP. Thanks guys/girls for the feed.

Asmo X

hahahahahahahaahahah

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.

Welcome to FFH where all your dreams come true (except for this one).

Kagebunji

Nice one dude, now you can forget about this thing, LOL
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Archael

Quote from: "Asmo X"hahahahahahahaahahah

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.

Welcome to FFH where all your dreams come true (except for this one).

LOLL!!!!!! omg

im gonna get fired from this job cuz of u asmo

Dome

Come on guys, don't be harsh with him
He just told us his idea...

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

ffta707

June 23, 2010, 11:52:50 pm #5 Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:49:37 pm by ffta707
It's a good Idea. But it sounds like you want to make a whole new game. Coding games is more than just put a bunch of events together. As for making a whole new game, game maker 7 doesn't cut it. But good idea.

LastingDawn

Yes... but this is Only for those that have something to do with FFT. This is a pipe dream, nothing more.

While you were very diplomatic in your speech you also reach far beyond your ken. We are already evading the radar as it stands, the last thing we need is a lawsuit for making an FFT MMO. Even less is the idea of turning FFT into an MMO. Call it "wasted potential" or what you will, we enjoy our modding projects and further using the system as we will. The way you frame it, you make it seem as if there is a penny to pinch from all of this, which I am sure we can all agree is only greed talking.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Asmo X

It's not a good idea. It's a fucking retarded idea. We're a shambolic group of fly-by-night hackers, artists and loudmouths, patching over previously existing game assets and not even doing that very productively. Where is this goldmine?

I'm still laughing at the idea of this guy browsing Hacking Tools and going "Oh my fucking god! We're rich!"

SilverTAG

Quote from: "LastingDawn"Yes... but this is Only for those that have something to do with FFT. This is a pipe dream, nothing more.

While you were very diplomatic in your speech you also reach far beyond your ken. We are already evading the radar as it stands, the last thing we need is a lawsuit for making an FFT MMO. Even less is the idea of turning FFT into an MMO. Call it "wasted potential" or what you will, we enjoy our modding projects and further using the system as we will. The way you frame it, you make it seem as if there is a penny to pinch from all of this, which I am sure we can all agree is only greed talking.

Quote from: "Asmo X"It's not a good idea. It's a fucking retarded idea. We're a shambolic group of fly-by-night hackers, artists and loudmouths, patching over previously existing game assets and not even doing that very productively. Where is this goldmine?

I'm still laughing at the idea of this guy browsing Hacking Tools and going "Oh my fucking St. Ajora! We're rich!"

It actually had no form of money intentions, personally. I could care less, and I figured it was out of my reach, and I believe I did mention we could make it our own in a sense, take what we had liked from the game, etc. I didn't really expect it to go through, I just wanted to see what some people would think. Nothing is wasted potential. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but this isn't the way I really intended it all. So I suppose I'll drop it from here, because starting a forum war, isn't really what I was looking for. I'm not here to make enemies or have people downgrade me, I'm here to enjoy something we all do, at least I would think..

Zenius

You can't just take some parts of a game from a series like Final Fantasy and make it your own.

Asmo X

There isn't going to be a forum war dude, don't worry. I think the rest of us are in unanimous agreement that this idea sucks. It's a pipe dream of the highest order. I like how in your list of talent assets you're like "well we must have a programmer around here too" as though that's an almost inconsequential detail. Programmers are doing ALL THE WORK. And it is a goddamn mountain of work at that. I've said this before, but if all you have are a bunch of "artists" and "ideas" people you have absolutely NOTHING. End of story.

SilverTAG

Quote from: "Zenius"You can't just take some parts of a game from a series like Final Fantasy and make it your own.

People all across the world do it, not in a literal sense. But in a figurative sense.

Quote from: "Asmo X"There isn't going to be a forum war dude, don't worry. I think the rest of us are in unanimous agreement that this idea sucks. It's a pipe dream of the highest order. I like how in your list of talent assets you're like "well we must have a programmer around here too" as though that's an almost inconsequential detail. Programmers are doing ALL THE WORK. And it is a St. Ajora mountain of work at that. I've said this before, but if all you have are a bunch of "artists" and "ideas" people you have absolutely NOTHING. End of story.

Your an idiot, thats really all I have to say. Without ideas, this world and people would get no where. And without art, you wouldn't have a pretty little home.

Asmo X

Yeah and the presence of those ideas in themselves don't make anything happen. Action does. People with video game ideas are a dime a million. We see it here all the time. People making long-winded posts in this forum about their little pet fantasy worlds and how they want to overhaul the entire game to make it happen. You know where they get? Nowhere. They quickly become aware of the amount of grunt work involved in turning these worlds of their into a reality and they come to the conclusion that if all you have is an idea you have done 0% of the work. I might be an idiot but at least I didn't approach a rabble of part time game hackers with a Braveheart speech about making a commercial game.

philsov

QuoteWe have testers, we have artists, we have people who know what their doing behind a computer and we have people with ideas, we have stories, I'm sure somewhere in here, we have someone who knows a thing or two about programming, and about everything we'll need to see this mission through.

Yes, we do.  But most of them are already spoken for and/or are content with their own little personal projects, myself included.  While it'd be nice, in general, to have some sort of grand unification of talent (GUOT)... it's not going to be this project.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

SilverTAG

Quote from: "Asmo X"Yeah and the presence of those ideas in themselves don't make anything happen. Action does. People with video game ideas are a dime a million. We see it here all the time. People making long-winded posts in this forum about their little pet fantasy worlds and how they want to overhaul the entire game to make it happen. You know where they get? Nowhere. They quickly become aware of the amount of grunt work involved in turning these worlds of their into a reality and they come to the conclusion that if all you have is an idea you have done 0% of the work. I might be an idiot but at least I didn't approach a rabble of part time game hackers with a Braveheart speech about making a commercial game.

Maybe that was the idea? To get some action started. People need motivation, a person backed by many, is much stronger, then a man who stands alone. If no one spoke their minds, if no one bitched or complained, nothing would change. It takes an idea, a speech, to start a revolution, and it takes many, not just one, to find all the people who also share those thoughts. And then the action begins. You can drag me down all you want man, but it isn't affecting me, so you can quit replying, or you can continue to waste your breath.

SilverTAG

Quote from: "philsov"
QuoteWe have testers, we have artists, we have people who know what their doing behind a computer and we have people with ideas, we have stories, I'm sure somewhere in here, we have someone who knows a thing or two about programming, and about everything we'll need to see this mission through.

Yes, we do.  But most of them are already spoken for and/or are content with their own little personal projects, myself included.  While it'd be nice, in general, to have some sort of grand unification of talent (GUOT)... it's not going to be this project.

This isn't a project, it was simply a train of thought, to possibly get one in the works. Your all making it seem like I expected this to happen immediatly. Thats not how it is. And I know it, I said I had many ideas, you haven't heard the least of it, I just wanted to see if there was someone who had thought the same, and then begin to play with ideas and suggestions. Thats it.

Asmo X

You still seem to be clinging to the idea that this is a possibility. Let me break this down for you easy. To make a game you need programmers and they need to be willing to do SHITLOAD of work. Unless we have one or several of those this isnt even going to get off the ground. And we don't have anyone like that. There is no opportunity here, period. As I said before, we patch over existing game assets. That is a far cry from what you're asking. Now you can stop pursuing this nonsense.

VampragonLord

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2214
^
why was this not pointed out sooner? close the topic and kick the idea to the proposals thread so we can ignore it like we do all the other baseless unrealistic ideas.
Seriously silvertag, did you expect your words to ACTUALLY "inspire" people to make your little dream game? an MMOFFT has been proposed multiple times, and unless you are actively willing to not only lead the "charge" by making your nice little speeches, but to actually DO work on it, such as learning what youre doing and proving it first, nobody is going to take you seriously. Don't expect random people who know programming fairly well to just "pop" in here to make your game for you just because you learned how to put a couple words together
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Jon

Sorry to necro this, its been dead since June, but both Asmo and Vamp are right SilverTAG. I am a coder. I taught myself the BYOND language just to make a MMOFFT which would be an online arena. A fools dream. If you have no idea what BYOND is, google it, its a MMO game making engine. Anyways, I spent hours and hours which summed up to half a year of learning. I was gone from here for 6 months, just trying to get a MMOFFT. I can say this (after a hell of a lot of time), yes, it is possible to make a MMOFFT, but it is plain and simple too much work. You would as a coder have to figure out these things:

1)Game's Engine- (which is by far the hardest). You would need to practically rewrite the entire game in BYOND code. Not impossible, just way too long. I couldn't do this because I don't think I have the time.
2)Sprites and Icons- Obviously sprites are not too big of a deal, but writing the code so it can read the Sprite sheet layout is a very big deal. Close to impossible. Would be easier to rerip all the sprites and puzzle them all together (their arms mainly) manually by yourself. Plus the maps. It is very easy to get a map working, but rotating it is quite challenging. I could write some code to get a rotating map, but so what? Pointless because people want to see sprites fighting, not rotating maps. The spell effects would and are by far the easiest thing to code into a game (sprite wise). But they would need to be reripped from the effects posted on the main page. Same goes for weapons. Real simple stuff, beginners can make spell and weapon graphics with about 10-20 lines of code.
3)Music and Sound Effects- Easy. So easy to do that you save this for last. Music is music, plays over and over. Sound effects happen when a proc (procedure of code) goes off.
4)Overlayers- This includes things like weather and time of day, very easy as well, but would need to be ripped from screenshots, which is annoying.
5)Online- Rules are more complicated then one thinks. Imagine for a sec an arena did exist, but one player suddenly logs off. Hell load of code to write right there for that unpleasant scenario. There are like a couple hundred different things what could mess up a game if a player logs off. Not to mention logging on...

Now I hope you see, as I pointed out, that it is not impossible, so if you want a MMOFFT, get to it and do it! I sure as hell won't! Lol!
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Archael

^ good post

Thorough explanation of actual work / time required vs how easy it is to think something up