• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Novice Spriting

Started by Knight Lord, January 01, 2023, 07:04:00 pm

Knight Lord

January 01, 2023, 07:04:00 pm Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 11:59:50 pm by Knight Lord Reason: Improved her eyes
For a project I'm working on I found myself in need of a sprite, I wanted a female Templar, something there's shockingly few of in that there's only one in the vanilla game, Meliadoul. Having a female body to frankensprite with sounded great, but when I looked at her palette layout, the task seemed a little daunting if I didn't want a hooded character, and it would also just look like a palette swap if I kept the hood, so I decided to use Izludes body instead. It's not an identical copy, I did some trimming, mostly in the hood. I recolored everything very close to, though a bit brighter than, the vanilla Knight's shade of white, but did some reshading to signify what can be as closely considered a bust as possible (which is literally 2 pixels, but still) and chose blue accents for the belt and neckpiece. Izludes armor is also a little green-tinted so I changed the colors to match Delita's golden armor, something that suited the look a lot more. The head is Balmafula's head, but with the hair "shine" gone, a necessary sacrifice for the sake of palette space, and given blue eyes and the hair tie made blue.

The portrait is also Balmafula's head, but with Izludes shoulder silhouette for the armor and cloak, and Agrias' neck not only thickened a little (She always seemed to have a toothpick neck to me) but also going into the cloak, representative of the blue accents on the sprite. I had intended to take the eyes of another portrait and paste them onto her face as well, but her face is angled a little strange so no other eyes I could find suited her. So I had to draw them. I am not an artist, but it still came out at a quality I'd call acceptable.

Improved Eyes0000.bmp
Final Draft.bmp

I may have to make a couple more custom sprites for this project, if I do I will post them here. But at any rate, I just wanted to share in case anyone thought I could make any improvements, this is my second sprite, so I'm still learning things. Otherwise, anything I post is also free to use if anyone wishes, so I just wanted to leave this here and share. My first sprite, which I didn't share, I'm going to revisit now that I know more, and make improvements. Will post results.

EDIT: Her eyes looked a LOT worse in game, so I redid them entirely... This looks a lot better, at least to me. Also, the hair looked extremely out of place in FFT art style because it looked flat, so I brightened the armor (made it look more brass and less gold, which is fine) and used that color to add some texture to the hair

EDIT 2: Under attachments is a version with the robe trimmed in.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: Rever Seurwit

erish

Great work Knight Lord! Valmafra look very cool with her new knight outfit!

Knight Lord do you think you can help fix this sprite? from this topic:

https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12357.0

It's Ashe's sprite from ff12 and YUNA created it. It is a very good sprite but the spell chanting and walking animation when looking from behind the character is off..especially the placement of the hand. I think the problem is only the placement of the hand that is off.

I can't seem to insert image to show you.. Could you try inserting that Ashe sprite into your game and try to look at it chanting spell from behind? it is TYPE1.

thanks knight lord!

Knight Lord

Quote from: erish on January 04, 2023, 08:13:29 pmGreat work Knight Lord! Valmafra look very cool with her new knight outfit!

Knight Lord do you think you can help fix this sprite? from this topic:

https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12357.0

It's Ashe's sprite from ff12 and YUNA created it. It is a very good sprite but the spell chanting and walking animation when looking from behind the character is off..especially the placement of the hand. I think the problem is only the placement of the hand that is off.

I can't seem to insert image to show you.. Could you try inserting that Ashe sprite into your game and try to look at it chanting spell from behind? it is TYPE1.

thanks knight lord!

Call me KL for short ^^

Thanks for the compliments. I am not comfortable working on a sprite that is not mine, but I have put it in my game. I'm not sure what you mean by everything looking off, it seems to work and look fine on my end... perhaps try asking the creator? You cna also try asking for help on the Discord, there's a room just for spriting with very helpful people!

erish

Hello KL! Unfortunately, Yuna, the creator haven't been active for years it seems. I can't reach her.. Sorry for reaching you about this, since your valmafra is good, I thought you could help a little with Yuna's Ashe sprite. I don't know how to insert image here..that's why it's kind of hard to explain where the "off parts" are.. All I wanted is moving the location her hand position a bit to the left when in chanting position. Actually, I tried fixing it myself, but kept getting error "System.BadImageFormatException: Image is not an 8bpp palleted bitmap!" when trying to import my edited .bmp.

Knight Lord

That might be because of the program you're using to edit the file with. Try using Graphics Gale and see if it yields better results, 90% of my editing is done there.

erish

Thanks KL! With Graphics Gale I haven't really gotten those errors anymore!