• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:11:04 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

crazy mime idea

Started by Skip Sandwich, October 28, 2008, 08:09:51 am

Skip Sandwich

October 28, 2008, 08:09:51 am Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:53:31 am by Skip Sandwich
I had a crazy idea involving mimes, and the Counter Magic reaction ability, it goes like this:
1: Make counter magic an uber-counter, triggered by nearly every generic-accessible skill in the game, as well as normal physical attacks and monster skills, but excluding certain special spells and boss abilities (such as Ultima, Dark Holy, Nightmare, Loss, and other such skills).

2: Magic Counter would then ONLY be accessible as an innate reaction on Mimes.

As normal, healing and supportive skills will not trigger Magic Counter (though may still be mimed).

basicly, with this change, mimes will both copy your allies, and will fling any attack they suffer right back in the face of thier attacker. I haven't done any testing with this yet, so I don't know if they'd be able to counter physical attacks like they mime physical attacks (as in, with the same weapon), but it would be cool if they did.

thoughts/comments?
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Vanya

October 29, 2008, 12:34:43 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Interesting, but wouldn't they be overpowered? They'd definitely be more worth while.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Skip Sandwich

October 29, 2008, 08:51:26 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
agreed on the possibly overpowered-ness of this, but it was such a cool idea that I just had to share. Besides, the lack of equipment and other skill options on mimes would serve to mitigate any overpoweredness at least a little bit, and anything as difficult to access as mime deserves to be on the higher end of the power scale anyhow. If nothing else, if mime were made normally unaccessable (as in, requireing levels in mime to unlock), it could allow one to simulate the character Gogo, either as a special boss encounter a la FFV or as a special character as in FFVI. I think a special mime set up like above with ??? stats would be a pretty interesting fight. (the ??? stats ensure that you can't just avoid the counters by 1-shoting him with Meteor)
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

Vanya

October 29, 2008, 09:50:25 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
i like that!! =)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Skip Sandwich

October 29, 2008, 11:03:10 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
well, I did some testing, and the attack command cannot be counter magiked (at least, when I checked the counter magic flag on the skill right above potion, it did nothing. for testing, I added a mime with 100 brave and faith to the units that join at the start of the game. counter magic worked fine for dash and throw stone, it just wouldn't trigger for the attack command. (i'm pretty sure it would trigger for monster physicals, though, so maybe changing the attack command to use a normal action menu might do it)
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Skip Sandwich

October 29, 2008, 11:52:43 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
i've been at this for a while now, but it seems that there is no way to make the attack command both usable and counter magic-able, darn. at least every SKILL can be counter magic flagged successfully.
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Disco_Peach

October 29, 2008, 01:57:00 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Disco_Peach
Then don't make it a skill. Just make it an innate reaction ability. Fuck it. A mime attacks every turn anyhow ;). Just the way you're doing it makes it broken enough. Good job!

Skip Sandwich

October 29, 2008, 03:43:14 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
yeah, it looks like that lone ubermime encounter will be bypassable by simple physical attacks (although, with the mime's innate martial arts, 100 brave, and crazy PA, the ubermime's punches will hit hard as !#@$, probablly hard enough to outright 1-shot  anyone who doesn't have bad compat with him, which gives me the idea to make him a serpentarius, on top of everything else, just for kicks)
"Dave?  Are you there?"

samuchan

October 29, 2008, 04:16:49 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by samuchan
Why don't you give them innate 2-swords while you're at it?

Skip Sandwich

October 29, 2008, 04:18:51 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
because at that point it'd be overkill, besides, there's only room for 4 innate abilities, and adding Counter Magic fills up thier slots (they also have innate Martial arts, Monster Talk, and Monster Skill, you know)
I could go ahead and overwrite say, Monster Skill and give them two swords, but they can already mime two swords attacks, so I don't really see a point, unless its to create the most broken unit ever. Keep in mind, i'm mostly seeing this as being used for a special enemy character, not something that the player would have access too. Anyway, I wouldn't even need to pull tricks with Counter Magic if we could just figure out what makes the mime tick, and therfore say...enable it to mimic enemy actions as well and/or instead of ally actions.
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Disco_Peach

October 29, 2008, 09:40:59 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Disco_Peach
I think you can leave the innates as is.

Monster Skill (for obvious reasons)
Counter Magic
Martial Arts

that makes it broken enough. i think you got it done fine enough, bro. any poor soul unlucky enough to be caught in the mime's wrath deserves to get assraped by a clown. power to the mime!

my opinion: leave as is. in situ (latin)