• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:29 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Jenna Golden Sun

Started by TidesofMercy, April 05, 2021, 11:05:51 pm

TidesofMercy

Good Evening everyone,

I noticed that in the FFHacktics Custom sprites section there is a sprite created for Jenna from Golden Sun by Zozma. I also noticed that there are currently no download links for this sprite. Does anyone happen to have them? I really like the sprite, and have used it in the past, but no longer have access to it.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: TidesofMercy

Nyzer

The link isn't there, but the sprite is still saved with a similar naming convention to all the rest of the sprites, so I was able to find the correct URL pretty quickly.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

TidesofMercy

Thank you for your help again! I appreciate it! Honestly, I hadn't thought to try that... lol.  :shock:
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: TidesofMercy

Abashi76

A 'Golden Sun Mod' sounds like a good idea, especially since the games are old and have poor graphics quality. I saw a video on Youtube about a new 'Golden Sun' game. Is there a way to make a custom world map for the psx fft rom hacks?
  • Modding version: WotL
  • Discord username: Abashi76

Nyzer

The effort to remake Golden Sun in FFT would be so monumental as to be completely infeasible, especially when the only existing custom resource for it is a single sprite. We're talking roughly a decade's worth of work, which includes a lot of time simply spent on learning how to do the work. It's a pretty overambitious idea coming just from seeing a single sprite, and you may want to temper your expectations a bit there.

To actually answer the question, yes. You can replace the graphic relatively easily in Shishi AFAIK, and even move and alter the various dots and paths on the map, but that's more difficult, and comes with a lot of limitations like being unable to turn town dots into random dots and vice versa, so you wouldn't be able to establish more town or random field locations than what currently exists in FFT.

nitwit

Quote from: Nyzer on July 28, 2022, 05:26:26 pmTo actually answer the question, yes. You can replace the graphic relatively easily in Shishi AFAIK, and even move and alter the various dots and paths on the map, but that's more difficult, and comes with a lot of limitations like being unable to turn town dots into random dots and vice versa, so you wouldn't be able to establish more town or random field locations than what currently exists in FFT.
If not random, can you make conditional repeating encounters on blue dots? I've thought about making guild checkpoints that trigger if Ramza's class doesn't match the classes which that town equips, with the option to pay up or fight them.

Town Guild being the type of enemy in each fight.
Mage cities: mages
Castles: armored warriors and dedicated warriors.
Trade cities: lightly armored and exotic warriors.
Goug: anyone that uses guns.

You could use it to farm crystals and gear from the aforementioned classes.

That isn't quite what was being asked, but it's close enough to a random battle (and probably wouldn't be noticed as different by the end user) that it could be a cheap workaround for this limit.

Nyzer

Quote from: nitwit on August 01, 2022, 07:39:29 pmcan you make conditional repeating encounters on blue dots?

You can, yes.

However, the criteria doesn't include anything to do with a unit's current job. Looking at the World Conditional commands in the Conditionals spreadsheet, it can check variables for values, check whether you have a certain special unit (according to spritesheet, I'd assume), the amount of gil you have, what date it is, how many casualties you have, Ramza's Br or Fa, something about choices, and something about "DDEntry".

The closest you'd get to that would probably be to trigger events in certain cities on certain months, and include variable edits in those battles that would make a note of which enemy guild you've just encountered to prevent you from fighting them again until after fighting a different group. (With nothing to disable the trigger, you wouldn't be able to leave the town at all until the month had passed.) Using LoadAddress, it's possible to check Ramza's current job in the event, and show a brief clip of him walking through town as a few [Insert Job Here] units watch him and go "I like the cut of that guy's jib" if he matches, or "We don't like yer type around here, son" if he doesn't, with the latter triggering the battle.

Abashi76

Quote from: Nyzer on July 28, 2022, 05:26:26 pmThe effort to remake Golden Sun in FFT would be so monumental as to be completely infeasible, especially when the only existing custom resource for it is a single sprite We would need a large coalition of sprite an pixel artists to do this. We're talking roughly a decade's worth of work, which includes a lot of time simply spent on learning how to do the work. It's a pretty overambitious idea coming just from seeing a single sprite, and you may want to temper your expectations a bit there.

To actually answer the question, yes. You can replace the graphic relatively easily in Shishi AFAIK, and even move and alter the various dots and paths on the map, but that's more difficult, Has anybody figured out how to edit the FFT world map yet? and comes with a lot of limitations like being unable to turn town dots into random dots and vice versa, so you wouldn't be able to establish more town or random field locations than what currently exists in FFT. So nobody has figured out how to change the map yet?

My comments in blue.

I personally think not having enough hard core fans of old video games is the only limitation to begin with. I already know that Golden Sun takes place in a place named "Lemuria", much like "Atlantis": it implies the story needs to have it's own unique Earth to live on.
  • Modding version: WotL
  • Discord username: Abashi76

nitwit

August 02, 2022, 07:22:43 pm #8 Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 09:51:52 am by nitwit
Nyzer is saying that:
* You can edit the world map image.
* You can move yellow dots around, which are random battle locations.
* You can move blue dots around, which are no random battle locations.
* You can't change the number of yellow or blue dots, except by not using all of them.
* I assume you can change the paths between dots, because if you can't then why bother moving them?

If that's enough to create all the world map locations for your hack, then you're in luck.

If it's not, then you might be able to pull something out of thin air with event creation, to create dots which conditionally bring up different maps. Nyzer didn't say that, but we know in Vanilla that yellow dots can bring up story battles in locations that aren't found in random battles.

Also if you want Golden Sun FFT sprites, then your best bet is to schmooze with known Golden Sun spriting communities while franken-spriting (Frankenstein's Monster, but with bits of various sprites) pieces together to get a good approximation of what you want. Success breeds success - look at how many people Elric's event creations and mods have brought to the site.

nitwit

Quote from: Nyzer on August 02, 2022, 12:29:34 amYou can, yes.

However, the criteria doesn't include anything to do with a unit's current job. Looking at the World Conditional commands in the Conditionals spreadsheet, it can check variables for values, check whether you have a certain special unit (according to spritesheet, I'd assume), the amount of gil you have, what date it is, how many casualties you have, Ramza's Br or Fa, something about choices, and something about "DDEntry".

The closest you'd get to that would probably be to trigger events in certain cities on certain months, and include variable edits in those battles that would make a note of which enemy guild you've just encountered to prevent you from fighting them again until after fighting a different group. (With nothing to disable the trigger, you wouldn't be able to leave the town at all until the month had passed.) Using LoadAddress, it's possible to check Ramza's current job in the event, and show a brief clip of him walking through town as a few [Insert Job Here] units watch him and go "I like the cut of that guy's jib" if he matches, or "We don't like yer type around here, son" if he doesn't, with the latter triggering the battle.
Looking at these pages:
https://ffhacktics.com/wiki/World_Map_Instructions
https://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Variables
https://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Event_Conditions

It doesn't seem possible to create a Deep Dungeon style menu for various areas if I want a quick and easy way to fight on specific battlefields.

Example
If I wanted to repeat something similar to the dragon hunt in Goland, then I'd have to:
* Make an event that brings up a choice to fight a selection of enemies there.
* Have a way to trigger that event.
* Add commands to that event so it doesn't trigger for a period of time after resolution.
* Either add a choice during the event for which specific battlefield I select, or have a multi-battle sequence.

Nyzer

Quote from: nitwit on August 10, 2022, 12:50:53 amIt doesn't seem possible to create a Deep Dungeon style menu for various areas if I want a quick and easy way to fight on specific battlefields.

No, I don't think that's doable. I think the DD menu is kind of a unique case? But I really haven't messed around with WORLD.BIN stuff, so I can't be sure. There are menus on places like Lionel Castle as well IIRC, but I just honestly don't know the first thing about what makes them tick.

If you sacrificed an existing world map path and used the unused Murond Death City dot, you could probably set up an isolated world map location that triggered an event which gave you the menus and such needed to set up the battle you wanted. And at the start of that event, you could alter the Current World Map Location variable so the player was no longer on that location, meaning that once the player returned to the world map, they could walk away from the location without triggering the event again, without the need to set up some kind of conditional that prevented the player from leaving but also allowed the event to be repeatable.

nitwit

Quote from: Nyzer on August 10, 2022, 12:52:51 pmNo, I don't think that's doable. I think the DD menu is kind of a unique case? But I really haven't messed around with WORLD.BIN stuff, so I can't be sure. There are menus on places like Lionel Castle as well IIRC, but I just honestly don't know the first thing about what makes them tick.
As much as you know, I'm positive I know less.

My first thought was to change the map selected on places like Fovoham Plains depending on the direction of approach. Approach from one direction and you get the Windmill Shed, from another you get Fovoham. I think this is possible with ATTACK.OUT and ENTD editing. That might give access to the green dot random battle locations, since it happens in vanilla.

I'd use this for:
* Fovoham & Windmill Shed
* Zeklaus and Sand Rat Cellar
* Various custom maps

I could be wrong and can't know if I am; maybe this is a property of orange dots.

My second idea was to rip off the various pub events to allow the player to revisit blue dot areas such as Gariland, or the interior of Igros Castle. These would be triggered by rumors about corrupt patrol sergeants, wanted outlaws, thieves hideouts, bandit raids, looting soldiers, fleeing deserters, ghost sightings, monster infestations, kidnappings by rogue officials, and town guilds demanding bribes for safe passage.

As you said I need some way to:
* Trigger the rumor to appear the first time, probably in Chapter 2 or after.
* Flag the event as over after victory conditions are met, or after I collect payment from the barkeep post-battle.
* Remove the rumor after the event is over.
* Trigger the rumor the reappear a certain amount of time, battles, or whatever after it's completed.

I would use this for fights in:
* Gariland
* Igros
* Dorter City and Dorter Slums
* Thieves Den
* Fort Zeakden
* Zaland
* Lionel
* Goug
* Warjilis
* Golgorand
* Goland
* Lesalia
* Yardow
* Riovanes
* Bervenia
* Zeltenia
* Zarghidas
* Nelveska
* Limberry
* Muronde

Unless I have some way to abstract the different events from their location this would get out of hand immediately. I'd need resources (event slots I assume, ENTD slots for sure, and some way to track this mess for each city) for each event multiplied by each city.

Of course I can and should strongly limit the type of events found in each city, but if I can abstract some parts of the battle making resources that increases my options. Something like:
1. Read Rumor to set the [INSERT LOCATION HERE] variable to the town where you read the rumor.

2. Try to leave town.

3. Even triggers in [GENERIC PUB].
Ramza: "I'm feeling lively today, I'll take a milkshake."
Barkeep: "Sorry Sir, fresh out of milk. The [INSERT BANDIT GANG NAME] set up a checkpoint at [INSERT LOCATION HERE] and the wagons can't get through."
Ramza: *leaves immediately*
Cut to [INSERT LOCATION HERE]
Ramza: "You stole my milk, prepare to die!"
Bandit: "Who is this guy?"

4. Last bandit dies.
Cut to [GENERIC PUB].
Ramza: "Ah, nothing like a ice cold milkshake."
Barkeep: ...

Quote from: Nyzer on August 10, 2022, 12:52:51 pmIf you sacrificed an existing world map path and used the unused Murond Death City dot, you could probably set up an isolated world map location that triggered an event which gave you the menus and such needed to set up the battle you wanted. And at the start of that event, you could alter the Current World Map Location variable so the player was no longer on that location, meaning that once the player returned to the world map, they could walk away from the location without triggering the event again, without the need to set up some kind of conditional that prevented the player from leaving but also allowed the event to be repeatable.
I assume I could change the name of that blue dot with the TacText, and it's location with the spreadsheet whose name I could find on the tools section of the wiki.

It's not possible to have an event trigger only when you enter a dot, and not when you leave it? That seems to happen on orange dots - is an orange dot a pre-requisite for such an event?

If for instance I wanted to raid Orbonne again, I think I could set up an event to occur when I visit it after the Chapter 3 raid on Orbonne. During this event Ramza and company deploys for battle outside of Orbonne and are greeted by the Church militia, who ask them their business. Ramza then has a dialog option:
"We come to give alms." [pay bribe to leave]
"Prepare to die!" [fight]

Then at the end of each battle Ramza is given another option:
"Our business here is done." [leave and return to the world map]
"Let's keep going." [continue to a deeper floor, and initiate a multi-battle sequence]

And then limit the number of floors available until the end of Chapter 4, with the last floor starting the end-game content and a warning from Ramza himself that there's no going back after this.

I'll be honest, I want every dot to be a green dot.