• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Souls of Destiny: Full 4 chapter update patch

Started by CONMAN, November 15, 2012, 10:37:44 pm

Andre Pratama

I'm using the epsxe game emulator it still freezes in chapter 4 murond holy pleace in part 3 in the cruch
  • Modding version: PSX

CONMAN

Slowly looking at these various issues.  I'll have to look at the 3 part of church battles there.

CONMAN

Working out some bugs in the most recent release.  Currently Souls runs fine on PSX FIN.  A couple of scenes have run into issues on different emulators- especially on 2 different scenes.

The next release should hopefully pretty soon.  The goal is to have it run fine on more emulators, fix various text issues (mostly complete) and adjust some job balance and and battles difficulties (Hopefully done.)

The next release goal is cleaned up events (in progress), change up the deep dungeon and add some of the custom ArmoredKori maps to event battles.  The idea is that the random battle maps would stay the same, but events would be in a different part of the same area.

ArmoredKori

Hey! Let me know which ones you plan to use and I'll clean up the textures if the alternate map needs it!
I make FFT maps!
twitch.tv/armoredkori
  • Discord username: ArmoredKori

Murse_Jon

Just downloaded your mod, can't wait to try it out! Finishing up a run on another mod but after reading all the posts and viewing some of the videos I'm super excited to check this out. Thanks in advance for all the hard work you've put into it.

CONMAN

January 11, 2022, 10:18:01 am #125 Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:38:10 am by CONMAN Reason: Adding video
That's great to hear. Do understand that this mod runs well on PsxFin (pSX) but has major issues on Duckstation and comes to a stop on epxe during the 4th chapter. I have been making text fixes (and making map additions.)  I am working towards fixing the troublesome event that breaks epxe.

My next release will include these text fixes, major chapter 1 map changes, re-skinning equipment (a few minor changes), a little re-balancing and additional new music for the shop(s) and attack formation screen.

CONMAN

I recently event edited a scene that caused a freeze in the ePSXe emulator.  I have tested it with that emulator and now the scene proceeds as it should. 

I've run through item descriptions and will take another quick look through ability descriptions. 

I've been updating/adding and replacing maps.(Hat tip to ArmoredKori)  I've done this with the slight majority of chapter one maps and have a little more testing to do.

Homefront-updated
Gariland-I added another house (moved them around), widened the stream and added another bridge
Mandalia- same, but still debating swapping in Kori's map
Sweegey Woods event battle is now Kori's map, but the random battle one is the original
Dorter Trade city battle is in Zozo, but the original dorter remains in the game and will see use
Sand Rat Cellar- main battle map is the same, but it's second state is now a hideout map used to replace 2 other scenes
Lenalia- still the same but considering a change
Windmill map- will use Kori's map. Considering adding snow
Fort Zeakden- Considering a map edit. Kori's map presents an issue with the post battle scene.

Made some big item changes.  Not using the synth shop hack- it's so big!  I'm not exactly Zigging to the Hacktics Zagging.  Sort of moving with a throw back organization of items by leaning heavily into the poaching aspects.  (Poaching starts early in this mod btw and one of the starting characters has innate poach)  Many of the new items will now have clearly been created by scrapping dead monsters.  Of course, that means poaching monsters will lead to more clear and obvious equipment instead of potions/ethers/crap.

Examples:
Chocobos-Bird claw knife, Chocobo hat, Chocobow
Skeletons- Bone shield/armor/helmet
Goblins- Goblin vest, Red Cap
Cats- Cat claw knife, tiger mask, Black Panther Suit
Ghosts- Spectre Shield, Glass Mask

Going to do a little double-checking that the maps changed in the first chapter play nice and then release an updated patch.

CONMAN

I'm updating the patch on the first page with an updated version of Souls of Destiny.

As noted in the previous posts, the bug that stopped ePSXe in chapter 4 has been fixed, items have been updated (visual changes and corrected info mostly), many chapter 1 maps have been worked on/adjusted/ or used from ArmoredKori's awesome work.  A couple of songs have changed, and new screens have been added for things like the bar or item shop.

There are still event fixes that are being worked on (my spelling can be a blind spot), deep dungeon completion and adding some more maps on tap for a longer term patch release.

Here are a couple pics and a chimney smoke on Zeakden:

CONMAN

Still enjoying some tinkering with ArmoredKori's and my own maps as I continue on editing this mod.  Perhaps, some other editing should be done first, but I find enjoying what you are doing is the best way to be productive.

I've been editing the colliery underground maps into some that are vaguely inspired by FF6 Narshe.  In Souls of Destiny, I use those maps for the Umaro side quest.  This seems so fit a little better and I was never crazy about the originals (but my last map was a snow map and this seemed like an nice transition.)  I've been sort of making the 3 of them together and the 1st 2 are pretty close.  the idea was to have one map be sort of like the entrance to a mining camp, the second the actual camp and the third, rocky cliffs with a bridge leading to a cave.

I just took ArmoredKori's awesome waterfall map edit and converted it into the second map state. This retains the original map for random battles and I am using his for special event battles.

Greatkain

Finished this today. Absolutely outstanding. Barely any story hacks here and i was excited and glued playing this from the start. Alot of bugs and glitches but fun and well done!! Thank you for the hard work making this! 
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

CONMAN

Good to hear it!  While I'll stat quiet for stretches, I am slowly trying fix these various bugs/glitches and smooth out events and such!

Greatkain

No game breaking bugs, but the biggest one was the Barious Valley fight. "The special enemy" starts on an invalid panel and can't move

Tarnum85

Hello

I am really interested in trying this out but I cant get it to work. I downloaded your version Souls of Destiny 4.1 ppf. I used ppf-o-matic3 and an usa version of ps1 fft the emulator I use is psx v1.13. I get an error is cd unusable failed to read .cue file.  Any help would be great I really want to try this.

CONMAN

Do you have a .cue file in the same folder as the patched file?  Sometimes my emulator will run without and sometimes not... They can be found relatively easily online and I believe that tools/websites exist that can generate one from the Iso/bin file.

CONMAN

I've been quiet for a bit, but still tinkering here and there.  I started creating a multi-part YouTube series.  I wanted to create a series of saves between everything so that I could be more organized fixing various event issues. Also, I figured putting it out online might peak the curiosity of people who would otherwise never know that the patch existed.  Currently, it is up to part 41. This is all of chapter 3, some of 4 and all the side quests. 

Figured I would post it here for the hell of it. 

Greatkain

I plan on playing through this again cause i enjoyed this that much, but i wanted to ask before i do, are you planning on posting an update or are you unsure?

CONMAN

I do plan on posting an update GreatKain. I can't really quote you well on a time frame.  I want to smooth over the events, do a little more balancing, maybe make another map and complete the deep dungeon before releasing another update. 

My guess would be that completing that would probably be at least 5 or 6 months.  I'm doing some sprite cleanup along with everything else.  Also, I probably will make a few new sprites to populate the deep dungeon. 

CONMAN

I didn't want to drop the mountain of videos at once. Here is the next batch:

CONMAN

I may wait a couple more days for anymore video batches, but here is the next set.

CONMAN

Adding a special ppf sprite change for Macawili