• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:24:01 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA)

Started by itoikenza, October 01, 2010, 10:42:24 am

itoikenza

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-seg ... 39836.html

In the United States, a new law proposal called The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) was introduced last week, and there will be a hearing in front of the Judiciary Committee this Thursday.(yesterday, too lazy to see if it got through, someone here do that!?)...

edit: Our work has already achieved results: in one big concession, we've heard from several Senate offices that provisions that let the Attorney General blacklist domain names without so much as talking to a judge are being removed. And we've indeed slowed down the legislative process -- instead of rushing the bill through this week, it's being held until after the election.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-seg ... 44686.html

If passed, this law will allow the government, under the command of the media companies, to censor the internet as they see fit, like China and Iran do, with the difference that the sites they decide to censor will be completely removed from the internet and not just in the US.

what do you guy's think? if this is passed would US hacking sites like this be shutdown! (Since Zodiac is in Canada is this site based there too, so exempt? edit: unless the law forces all isp's to block foreign sites!)

http://www.clip-studio.com/quma/en/
Some hits you, So miss you, the center too, enter you, hits undone, have some fun, I know! misses come, render none, enter some... Always won!!... incomplete I know...

Xifanie

• Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jon

Wait a sec, does this mean people out of the US will still be able to see sites that have been blocked? Like if this gets banned in the US, other countries will still be able to view, correct? Either way, its questionable right there as you said it- "media companies". WTF!!! Who put them in charge to begin with? Also, who are the executives who have the absolute power to decide the fate of a site so hard worked upon? This is just ridiculous, I think there would be some kind of demonstration or revolt if this law was passed.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Samuraiblackbelt

<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

VampragonLord

Quote from: "Jon"I think there would be some kind of demonstration or revolt if this law was passed.
it wouldnt be properly organized without internet
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Looks like I have to move to the fucking moon.  Either that, or we'll become a private, invite only community.

Kaijyuu

Zaen

Yep. These kind of things only happen when government goes past the boundaries set by the definition of REGULATION.

And that's what seems to be... er... is happening. The more laws that get passed, the worse it is for the people. Let's face it. Without laws to pass, the people in office won't do crap. If they don't do crap, they don't get money.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

SilvasRuin

I have a growing desire to move to Switzerland.  I never hear about idiocy on their part.

Jon

I live in Germany (I'm American though) and trust me, you don't want to move to Switzerland. They have an utter hatred for foreigners. I went to Basel once, worst experience there, never wanna go back :|
Also, they are fanatic in there ways. I crossed a street there with a red light, and some Swiss woman was shouting (translated) "Shit! You could get hit by a car!!" even though there were no cars...

Dominic NY18

Quote from: "itoikenza"what do you guy's think? if this is passed would US hacking sites like this be shutdown! (Since Zodiac is in Canada is this site based there too, so exempt? edit: unless the law forces all isp's to block foreign sites!)

The site would't be shutdown, but blocked. This would apply to any website, whether it's hosted in the U.S. or elsewhere.

As an example of what could happen, picture this site ending up in the crosshairs of the Justice Department for suspected copyright infringement. If the Justice Department could convince a federal judge that copyright infringement is central to running this site, then the judge would then issue an injunction that would order domain registrars to stop resolving the domain name for this site. In other words, visitors and posters from the U.S. trying to get to the site would get a nice big 404 error.

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"I don't think this will get passed

Quote from: "Kaijyuu"Yeah this ain't happening.

I wouldn't be so dismissive of this. There's a good chance this will make it out of committee and onto the Senate floor. Keep in mind, most bills die in committee.

It's encouraging that the outcry so far has slowed down the process and stripped some of the provisions from it. Hopefully, if people make enough noise about it, it'll die in committee or on the Senate floor. For the Americans here, I'd keep an eye on this and consider contacting your senators and your congressperson and voicing your opposition if it continues moving forward.

Archael

Quote from: "Jon"Also, they are fanatic in there ways. I crossed a street there with a red light, and some Swiss woman was shouting (translated) "Shit! You could get hit by a car!!" even though there were no cars...

how the hell is that being fanatic?

she was watching out for you, and she was right

you shouldn't cross the street with a red light, you could get hit by a car

Xifanie

dammit, you moron, not just getting hit by cars, but by gangstas too!
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jon

*Sigh*
Then move to Switzerland, see if I care. You will last about 1 week and then wish you were back home in the US/Canada. You're as stubborn as a mule. Just don't come crying to me for help is something happens!

Archael

Quote from: "Jon"*Sigh*
Then move to Switzerland, see if I care.  You're as stubborn as a mule. Just don't come crying to me for help is something happens!

that was.. uncalled for

;/

Zaen

The way I see it, they already sound like more decent people. They warn you about getting hit by cars! Here, people only look the other way... unless you actually get HIT by it.

*puts one more mark on Switzerland* Good thing I'm learning German...
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

Archael

Quote from: "Zaen"The way I see it, they already sound like more decent people.

yup

Jon

Kweh wark wark! *Runs away from this thread for good*

Kaijyuu