• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:48:56 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Now Playing

Started by Cheetah, April 03, 2008, 09:31:33 am

CynanMachae

Nowadays I'm playing StarCraft II, Heroes of Newerth, and started playing SSBB again
Cynan

Kill_Bones

I'm playing bad company 2 a lot lately. On FFT, I've just recently started a playthrough where I only "control" one unit I deploy (Ramza & 2-3 others on auto-battle)It's making vanilla a tiny bit harder, but I might have to cheat and control Ramza for his "Duels" (Gaffy, weigraff)

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

Jon

Ha, play vanilla with only Ramza. This is the only way to make FFT Vanilla the slightest bit challenging. I imagine it is close to impossible with only Ramza as 1 job. So Ramza with whatever job you want. This is how to play vanilla ;)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Kill_Bones

Trust me, autobattle units are worse than Ramza only. Why? The AI is retarded. Hurr. Durr.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Jon

Still got more than one unit, and hurr durr is actually Voldemort's quote, don't use it because of me hahaha. Try 1 unit on autobattle, that is probably the ultimate test to waste time in vanilla. Who knows though, sometimes Ramza might actually win...but I am not gonna test it. Yeah, you are right Kill Bones, human intelligence against FFT computer AI owns. Period. Which unit do you control though? Ramza?

Kill_Bones

Nah, I've set Ramza on "protect ally- delita". I'm controlling a squire. Never changing his class, just a squire. And if you thought vanilla was easy, I have a gamesave with 3 lvl 99 squires with Math Skill, Blade Grasp, Half-MP, and Move+ 3. It's saved before dorter 1, so I can just load it up when I'm in a sadistic mood. Killed Algus with stones, hence the signature. I know it's archs, I read the thread when he got it (lurker much?). I never joined the site because I really had no time for this. Now that I do... my hard drive crashes and I need a new computer. Fail. Ah well, at least I can post, but Chat doesn't work on the Ps3 I type from...... :(

-Abraham Lincoln

Jon

Lol, why do you have Half MP and Math Skill? Magic Attack Up makes more sense, Math Skills cost no MP. That does sound funny, right before Dorter (first battle I assume). How much does Throw Rock and Dash actually do at that level, over 100 damage? I think it would be sorta weird but make a Throw Rock patch where your only ability is Throw Rock but it would do ridiculous damage, then someone would have to figure out how to edit the color so its white, and we practically would have FFTA.

Kill_Bones

Origionally had dif magics for each unit. I'll change that to Matial Arts, fists do more damage in chapter 1... or I could do 2 swords for extra noobyness... Yeah it does somewhere above 80 damage. Imagine if I used the degenerator glitch to get 99 PA, I could one-hit anything with a rock ^^. I was thinking about a patch based on the auto-battle idea, you would name a squire at the beginning instead of Ramza, and you couldn't have any other generics, ever. I assume with only one guy to focus on training, you would get jobs faster, so it would balance out with the lack of units. The game would be told from your character's eyes, and he'd be present in all the cutscenes involving Ramza. Of course, if I ever made a patch I'd get rid of geomancer... I've never used it and it has room for 15+ abilities. But as for my current playthrough, I'm stuck on "Save Retardio". Ramza always attacks the female archer for his turn, and retardio gets swarmed before any of my auto-tanks or my squire gets over to him.

-Abraham Lincoln

Jon

I was actually thinking of that one of these days, I kid you not. I wanted to change all the Ramza's names to Rad, and give Ramza the secondary role. Then at the beginning of the game, you name Rad to whatever, and he also appears at Gariland. I mean c'mon, who changes Ramza's name anyways. You are not Ramza to all you dumb newbs out there. But it is sorta cool to have a generic named after yourself. But Ramza must remain the "I can't get crystalized or its game over" character, so I was also thinking have him as a Guest in the army, with infinite time counter upon death. Just random thoughts here.

Right now I am playing Crush the Castle 1. Sucks compared to 2.

Vanya

Space Invaders Get Even

This game rocks! You continue the story 30 years after the invaders' humiliating defeat at the hands of the humans. You play as the invaders in an all out assault on earth. ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Shade

mass effect(10 bucks fucking awsome), epic duel, css, wc3(also ten bucks(+ 10 buck expansion)), fft 1.3
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

SilvasRuin

I finally got Dragon Age: Origins.  So late, right?

The game is overrated, definitely.  But it's still fairly awesome.  The choices are deceptive, appearing more complex than they actually are, but there are still far more variables in what can happen in this game than any other I've ever played.  It doesn't have the kind of freedom that people make it sound like it has, but the game makers did achieve a fairly healthy balance in their designs, I think.  Making the game truly as complex as its hype suggests would be fantastic, but there's no way the budget/deadline would have made it, not to mention they already went above and beyond most other games I've ever heard of.

Saddly it suffers from as many bugs and unfinished content as Final Fantasy VII.  Thankfully player-made fixes are readilly available and even accomodated by the PC game.  Bugged abilities, item attributes, item locations, and more all have fixes out there made by dedicated players who examined the code closely and only altered such things when they confident they knew what the original intent was for each.  The only bugs that I'm not sure were fixed entirely are the companion conversations and events, though most of them are fixed.  I've seen fixes for Morrigan, Zevran (I think), and some for Alistair who normally doesn't respond properly to your choices at the Landsmeet.

And of course I'm a sucker for balance mods and balanced for-fun mods.  I can look up the names of them for anyone who wants, but for the moment, I've forgotten the names.  Anyways, there's one balance mod in particular that overhauls every ability (or wait... I'm not sure if it does anything to Shale's abilities...), fixes the bugs along the way, balances them all so that there isn't one superior ability worth learning more than the others (at least with the same "difficulty" to reach), and gives very thorough documentation to the point of comparing the old and new stats for all of the abilities.
There's another one that adds separately obtained and automatically awarded Specializations and two classes that I tried out for the sole reason that one of the classes is Warlock.  I can't say I'm all that interested in the added specializations.  It was fun, it's mostly true to its source, and it isn't horridly overpowered.  That said, it's a little bugged, giving Warlock a clone of the Spirit Healer specialization is kind of silly in comparison to its source, and it doesn't seem to want to play nice with another mod that allows you complete control over your characters' starting stats, skills, and abilities (as opposed to having a skill/ability point or two spent on something that does not necessarily fit into your plan).  Quite honestly I'm torn as playing a Warlock is quite interesting, but the mods it is incompatible with make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game.

tracyk859

Oh please don't use Tales of Legendia as an example of the series. It isn't even done by one of the regular creative teams and is a really terrible game, I hate it. Try Tales of the Abyss if you want to give the series a real chance.

Jon

Trying to play Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis (GBA Game) with only the main hero Alphonse. I guess thats an SCC, right?

Cheetah

I went to a lot of trouble to get that game. Then it turned out to be so slow paced that I couldn't stand to play it.
Current Projects:

Jon

Cheetah do you mean the GBA cartridge or a rom? I can't find the real cartridge anywhere. The only thing that I find slowing the game down are the summons and the second tier magic like Fire Storm or Crag Crush. But when you play it on an emulator, you can just easily speed those slower animations up. I just beat the game with a normal setup team, now I wanna take it to the next challenge level, SCC.

SilvasRuin

I think he means it's slow to get characters promoted to something other than Soldier.  It's not really that slow or hard to do when you KNOW what you're doing, but... a first time player would likely take a while to unlock the good stuff.

Meh, unless you're desperate for spell slots, Ninjas and one or two Clerics are the way to go until you unlock things like Knight and Swordmaster.  Have a level one ally wade into some water in training mode, have a Cleric keep them alive, and then pepper them with a short bow.  Five successful hits in a row is easy, especially if you abuse terrain element alignments, and it nets you some bonus AGI really early, which is a huge help to getting Ninja in the first few levels.  Cleric is the best shortcut for spellcasters, however, and getting a soldier to become a Cleric takes quite a bit longer...

The game's real problem is that it is over by the time you finally get to play around with Liches and Angel Knights.

What class are you using for Alphonse for the SCC and what stat leaning are you going with?  Seems to me an AGI heavy Alphonse would be the easiest in order to dodge all the attacks, but a Cleric Alphonse could dish out some serious hurt with the holy projectile spell as well as keep himself alive with Heal and that status curing spell.  Ninja/Swordmaster Alphonse would easily be mauled by spells if the enemy has a lot of casters (especially the fights against summoners), Cleric Alphonse would be squishy to physical attacks but have the most potent self-preservation, and Knight Alphonse would be durable but would either have to go without a ranged attack (unless you went with bows such as Crescente or the Sherwood set) or without healing beyond consumable items.
If I remember the name right, Knight with Heal, Lachesis, and the Sherwood set would be fantastic for hit and run, and the spell could make up for the self-inflicted damage from Lachesis, though no matter what setup you have, a shield is a MUST for some of the latter levels if you're only going to use him.  Petrification would be an instant game over.
Oh, right, and the fourth alternative, Warlock.  A balanced build could dodge decently often, shrug off spells easier, and swap between sword strikes, a powerful point-blank spell, and some debilitating or utility spells.  Warlock is my favorite choice for Alphonse in normal games because he's plain and simply the best at it, and high INT makes the Barren Soul spell compete with some of the stronger attacks in the game.

SCC?  I'd likely go with Cleric or Knight.  Or some combination.  I'd want to make sure Heal was available on the longer fights, and the holy projectile is effective against almost everything in the game.
By the way... how the hell do you get through the undead levels with only alphonse?

Interesting bit of trivia:  The ONLY advantage Dragoons have over Knights is the Spear specialization.  Knights are superior in almost every other way.  (Maybe not in movement.)

Jon

I have him as a Knight with Heal. Right now I am at the protect Eleanor on the beach with the church, and having some major difficulties keeping her alive and killing the enemies. I lost the fight already a few times, but only this one battle. Up until now all I had to do was keep Alphonse alive, somehow I managed to keep Glyncia the fairy alive even though I didn't recruit her. I haven't done this, but is it like cheating to recruit people (like Ivanna) to get their equips? I have all the physical jobs unlocked due to Alphonse leveling up like crazy and up to Warlock for spell jobs. If I somehow get past this stupid fight which reminds me of Protect Rafa from FFT, I will from now on go as a Dragoon with Volcaneous Spear (once I get it) and a bunch of curing herbs. I think I might have to Priest my way through the Eleanor fight. Or wait, better, Knight with Great Bow? Good defense + range attack and healing, hmmm...

Also, I like to kill all enemies on every stage if possible even in SCC, sometimes its near impossible so I don't, like the fight at Formido (the first castle) I pushed most people to their deaths, but some units like the stupid Priest hide in the middle of the water and every time they are nearly dead they heal too much. I think I might make an exception for this Eleanor battle as well, I will just kill the Dragoon leader and finish the fight early.

Edit: I beat the Eleanor battle, with a Swordmaster! You absolutely must kill one of the Archers in 2 turns, otherwise Eleanor gets wasted. Also, the entire AI goes after Alphonse, only the 2 Archers target Eleanor only. Once she jumps in the ocean and swims away, its just hack and slash the dragons and Dragoon and heal.

Edit2: I guess I skipped by accident the "Knights are better than Dragoons" because you are absolutely right. I probably will go through the game for most battles as a Knight, because buying Healing Herbs and Seeds is getting too expensive. I just finished the volcano battle and met the Mermaid and unlocked the second Quest Book (I haven't tried Quests as SCC yet, lol). My setup is Knight Alphonse with Heal (obviously), Farfanir (its instant kill Dragon ability is awesome sometimes), Tower Shield (haven't found anything better yet), Bandana and Robe of the Wise (which is better than Chain Mail and anything I could find so far). I probably might skip the Grylayss River of nightmares simply because it seems too hard. Anyone got an idea how I can get past all the undead? Like I said, should skip it, I don't need any Summoners since its a SCC.

Cheetah

I have the actual cartridge. It probably would have been better to just have it on my computer, but I only have time to play games on the go generally.

I mean that the game just plays out slowly in terms of choosing character actions and all their animations. I think I'm just too used to playing FFXII International in triple speed and other emulated stuff. Or modern games like VC2 which have speed adjusters.
Current Projects:

Jon

Well if you don't like it, send it on over to me (joking). I love Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis, my opinion is that it is the best GBA game, even better than Fire Emblem. Now I got new worlds of problems in the SCC campaign: I find it quite challenging going 1 on 1 with a Summoner.