• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Author's Illua (First Sprite, One Picture)

Started by Author, July 01, 2011, 10:44:05 pm

Author

So, I decided to try my hand at spriting. For a first sprite, I rather like this first bit of Illua.

Crits? I already know that the shoes look horrid, but I couldn't get the look I was going for (Shoes underneath pants).

Base was Balmalfu at first, and then I just kind of ditched it. I do not look forward to trying to make the rest of these sprites without a guide.

CONMAN

You should post a bigger image.  Also- I think balmafula wouldn't seem like a good sprite for a base.
  • Modding version: PSX

Author

July 01, 2011, 10:59:05 pm #2 Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:01:20 pm by Author
Balmalfu was the base for like two minutes before I said screw it and abandoned the very idea of having a base.

Give me a minute to increase the size in Inkscape.

EDIT: Done. Attatched.

OH GOD FIRST IS TOO LARGE

GeneralStrife

Making a sprite from scratch for FFT is damn near impossible for someone new to it. You usually use parts of sprites and edit them. It takes time. Also this isn't too large, just post a half as large as this one so we can see how it looks in game, this large one can help with the details.

Author

July 01, 2011, 11:49:15 pm #4 Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:40:40 am by Author
Considering I cheated just a bit, I might be able to do it. It'll take me like a month, but the vague bit of spriting expertise I have (RPG Maker Spriting was the coolest thing ever), I'll probably end up being able to either make it or utterly destroy it.

Besides, it is based off another sprite. Head's ripped straight from FFTA2, with mild additions to make it more FFT-esque.

Also, the first Illua large was like 300x550, and was ridiculous.

Leapin' Leptons Batman, I've decided to make this not a living hell on myself!

Edits: Changed waistcoat to Agrias. Also messed with the legs to make them look more natural. Got some new, better looking shoes. Messed with the right arm color to make it not look so stated compared to everything else.

Comparison is below.

Kagebunji

Where did you take colors from? They aren't looking like FFT at all. I assume you used FFTA palette and modified it. It is a VERY bad move, FFTA's colors are way more saturated. Use FFT palettes for now.

Other thing is the sprite itself. I cannot see what the hell is going on with the armguards. Sprite is very flat overall. Just use more FFT parts and don't change them, cause then stuff will happen that can be seen above.

Keep the details that are too small out of the sprite. I can see under her face some lines of pixels, I assume it was that thing that connects armguards on portrait. It is way too small to implement, ditch this idea. Cramming too much detail will always ruin the sprite, especially such small ones.

I did Illua's one frame once, it was more than year ago IIRC. Here you go:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2759.0;attach=7640;image
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Author

July 02, 2011, 03:32:13 pm #6 Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:34:03 pm by Author
Well, Twin's helped me out more than I will ever admit outside of a court of law, so I'm using his base now.

The palette began getting screwed around ten minutes in, and then I did what you said, and it ended up murdering most of the sprite.

Kagebunji

July 02, 2011, 03:44:01 pm #7 Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:46:20 pm by Kagebunji
The first step in doing a sprite is setting up a palette. Then and only then you should start doing full sheet. Of course you can send this step to hell and go over the 16 color limit, but then your sprite will loose quality once you drop the colors, unless you are a palette master, like Mav. Twinees' work is amazing yet again. If you manage to pull this off for the rest of the sheet without screwing it, it will be impressive.

Also,
Quote from: Author on July 02, 2011, 03:32:13 pm
The palette began getting screwed around ten minutes in, and then I did what you said, and it ended up murdering most of the sprite.

What do you mean?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

GeneralStrife

I think he means he's no good at making the pallette or something. Have you tried xifanie's pallette editor? Take colors from existing sprites if you can.

Author

I'll go get Xifanie's palette editor. It'll probably make it easier. Not for this sprite, considering I've checked, and it only ports properly to like three spritesheets.

I think it is because I managed to eviscerate the palette with my amazing color coordination abilities.

GeneralStrife

You cannot exceed 16 colors including the background