• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Now Playing

Started by Cheetah, April 03, 2008, 09:31:33 am

Cheetah

Play Grandia, FFTA will just make you miss FFT.
Current Projects:

CT5Holy

Although most of the discussion about FF12 International is a few months old, I've recently started playing it and am loving it! Just got to Phon Coast. The speed up feature is simply awesome. It's also a nice way for me to learn Japanese (when I'm patient enough to do so >_>).

I'll have to play DQ8 eventually, too. I think I'm around the same area you're at, philsov. I think. It's been a while. I got stuck at Dhoulmagus and sorta just stopped.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Oblivion

I'm playin':

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, F.E.A.R, F.E.A.R 2, Silent Hill Homecoming, Elder Scrolls IV, FFXIII, many other DS games, and various games on Newgrounds...
I'm waitin' for Castle Crashers to come out on PSN. I played it on 360 and it's just awesome as hell. I love the art style of it and it's very addicting.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Dome

Quote from: "Cheetah"Play Grandia, FFTA will just make you miss FFT.
If you play FFTA just thinking it's a random game, it's not bad at all
Just never compare it to FFT

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Oblivion

I played FFTA before I played the original and I still didn't like it. When I played FFT then I realized just how crappy FFTA was. Laws... really? The storyline, meh. I liked being able to play as the bad guy though.
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

philsov

QuoteI'll have to play DQ8 eventually, too. I think I'm around the same area you're at, philsov. I think. It's been a while. I got stuck at Dhoulmagus and sorta just stopped.

Heh, thats where I stopped last time.  But theres two big things of note:

1) If you make him to phase 2 (after the dopplegangers), and then die horribly, when you return the fight'll start in phase 2.  
2) Transmuting a Chirion's Bow is AWESOME for the fight.  Has a use effect of 30 HP restored to the party.  That's basically all Angelo will do in the fight, and it works.

Been playing some Puzzlequest recently -- it's like bejeweled meets a generic flash RPG.  So... yeah, pretty addicting.  I'd prefer puzzle quest 2 (played on a friend's xbox live) but theres no PC port yet -_-.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Dominic NY18

Just started a playthrough of FFIX on my laptop. I finally got my PS3 controllers to work with emulators, so I don't have to bother with the keyboard to play (I guess I'm more of a gamepad person). I'm also considering doing the low-level Excalibur II challenge in the future.

I also managed to get FFXII working on my laptop. The performance isn't stellar, but it's playable so I might pick that up again in the future (or maybe the International version if I can get my hands on it).

Kaijyuu

Been recently playing Dwarf Fortress. It's a simcity/sims/civilization type game where you build a home for fantasy dwarves, holding off goblin sieges and digging for ore. It has a "realistic" combat system with no HP: all major organs/limbs are simulated and can take damage. A severed arm will never grow back. You can also build towering statues, build fiendish traps for the goblins, assault hell, murder whoever you (dis)like, fight weird and disfigured super monsters, and a bunch of other stuff. All within an extremely detailed, procedurally generated (random) world.

Oh, and the default graphics are ascii.

Here's a typical game.

If a game designer from 1985 was asked what they'd make with no RAM/CPU limitations, it'd be this game. As a side note, it takes upwards of a gig of RAM to run and will bring the best gaming computer in the world to ~30 FPS when you have 200 dwarves running around with 500 pets and 300 goblins attacking outside.
  • Modding version: PSX

Zaen

Don't forget killer carps and those damned cats...

I tried playing some Dwarf Fortress, but I sucked like crazy, the control scheme was a little hard for me to pick up on.

Anyways, I'm searching for a Skies of Arcadia file, US, and that works on an actual Dreamcast... that's being a pain right now. Otherwise, I'm currently playing Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur. Haven't found Grandia II, so that's on my to-do list as well.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

beawulfx

I've already clocked almost 40 hours into Dragon Quest IX. Man, this series is arguably my favourite at the moment. If Suikoden was still making games they might win, and Final Fantasy is hard to top based on their history of gems, but Dragon Quest is still making the games I absolutely love. They feel so old school without sacrificing anything... I will never get tired of them if they don't go for some dramatic change, like other RPG series think is so important. Maybe a lot of people disagree, but I LIKE the traditional JRPG and they are getting harder to find. Thankfully Dragon Quest can always be relied upon!

On the side I am working on Skies of Arcadia, was loving it until DQIX came out and I have since been treating it like an abandoned puppy >_>
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Melancthon

WIZARDRY 8!  Just got it back from my friend who had it for quite some time.  Definitely one of my top three games.  This time I'm trying something different and running a party of:

Lord (Sword/Mace, X-Bow, Divinity) Endgame Fang/Diamond Eyes
Ranger (Sword/Shield, Bow, Artifacts) Ivory Sword
Bard (Bloodlust/Shield, Music, Locks and Traps) **Light Sword** if I can get one to drop
Ninja (Polearm, Throwing) Dread Spear
Fairy Ninja (Wand/Dagger, Alchemy) Cane of Corpus/Sprite Dagger or one of the other Fairy-specific equips
Mage (Magic, Staff) Staff of Doom

God I love this game.
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

philsov

Fairy Ninjas are so OP.  

I'm going to be guessing guess party membes of Vi and... robot dude?

Melancthon

Quote from: "philsov"Fairy Ninjas are so OP.  

I'm going to be guessing guess party members of Vi and... robot dude?

Fairy Ninjas are awesome end-game but they take forever to power up.  If anything is truly overpowered in this game it's the Bloodlust.  My bard is my best melee fighter by far, though my Polearm Ninja should start to catch up now that I've got the Spiked Spear.

I never take NPCs any more.  All they do is suck up your experience and leave you when you need them most.  RFS-81 is definitely the best of them though.
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

Archael

PX_Timefordeath

Okay, I will now be killing myself to attempt to beat this song. It's a PSP game btw. Wish my luck >.<

Edit: Awesome, 777th post! Lucky 7s!

Wiz

Hey guys I just posted my first set of videos containing Castlevania Bloodlines for the genesis on my YT channel check 'em out. As of now, the videos playthrough w/ John Morris are recording, so please be patient until they get uploaded. Next game I'll be playing is Castlevania Legacy of Darkness and as to whether it'll be on an emulator or not depends on how much lag there is. If I end up playing it via capture card (dazzle... which I need to buy), it probably won't be for a few months so yeah. O, and don't forget to subscribe stupid xp
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

philsov

been hooked on DQIX recently.  I really like how they did the job/level up system.  I think I'm mostly through the game at this point, with Corvus freed.

btw, the empire king (Go...something)  was... a really tough boss.  He killed off two of my guys (priest and mage), then entered phase 2.  so... it was down to my hero (29-ish paladin) and other fight (30-ish Soldier), the latter of which managed to die shortly into the fight because they're both balls slow so the healing response time just wasn't there.  So... my paladin basically solo'd the guy with Magic Mirror (<3 shields) while staying alive with some buff and midheal, and a sage's elixir I had pocketed.  

I don't know if I want to mess with postgame grinding and grotto... or play through again with like... a 3 person party.

Wiz

Quote from: "PX_Timefordeath"Okay, I will now be killing myself to attempt to beat this song. It's a PSP game btw. Wish my luck >.<

PX_Timefordeath wrote:
Okay, I will now be killing myself to attempt to beat this song. It's a PSP game btw. Wish my luck >.<

Damn... is that you or some yet-to-be crazy japanese guy? Good Luck with that :0

I just posted 20 vids or so adding to my Castlevania Legacy of Darkness playthroughs and you should check 'em out as well

Here's a couple samples

And here's another with the unfortunately banned Arch mentioned

• Modding version: Other/Unknown