• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:43:43 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Other good games like FFT?

Started by Havermayer, December 29, 2008, 02:48:00 am

Havermayer

December 29, 2008, 02:48:00 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
I love me some FFT.  I've had some relative difficulty finding games like it though.  

Other SRGs like Disgaea are okay, but they have very little in terms of character customization and job growth, which I think is some of the coolest aspects of FFT.  You can make them stronger by leveling them up, but you can't tun Laharl into anything other than... Laharl.

So are there other good SRPGS out there with a similar job system and ability customization?

Cheetah

December 29, 2008, 03:15:43 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Valkyrie Chronicles PS3.

Though what you are looking for specifically is the Tactics Ogre series. Original design was by basically the same team that did FFT. Look for the psx version and the GBA sequal.

Fire Emblem series is pretty close too.
Current Projects:

Jacob31593

December 29, 2008, 03:29:51 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jacob31593
i enjoyed fire emblem, and even though this game has nothing to do with individual characters i also had a good time on Advanced Wars

DarthPaul

December 29, 2008, 08:02:33 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Advance wars and Fire Emblem are like the same game just different battle styles that might as well be the same like HP and UNITS being the same thing.  I would choose both of those and if you like Dynasty warriors go with Dynasty Tactics it is a bit complicated but overall fun as hell.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

December 29, 2008, 09:12:14 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Cheetah"Valkyrie Chronicles PS3.

philsov

December 29, 2008, 12:12:35 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Front Mission series (3 is my favorite)
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

PX_Timefordeath

December 29, 2008, 01:18:13 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
QuoteAdvance wars and Fire Emblem are like the same game just different battle styles that might as well be the same like HP and UNITS being the same thing.
Dude, wtf are you talking about, advanced wars is different from other strategy games where it's the only one i know where it's better to SPREAD the damage instead of focusing on 1 at a time

Anyways, Valkyria Chronicles is pretty cool, but i only have the downloaded demo :(

Soahd

December 29, 2008, 04:39:01 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Soahd
Im currently playing Valkyria Chronicles and its quite good.
There also the disgaea series.

DarthPaul

December 29, 2008, 05:47:02 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "PX_Timefordeath"
QuoteAdvance wars and Fire Emblem are like the same game just different battle styles that might as well be the same like HP and UNITS being the same thing.
Dude, wtf are you talking about, advanced wars is different from other strategy games where it's the only one i know where it's better to SPREAD the damage instead of focusing on 1 at a time

Anyways, Valkyria Chronicles is pretty cool, but i only have the downloaded demo :(

I never said it was exactly the same the fact that units lose power with more damage and units can be created and combined makes it similar to star craft.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Vanya

December 29, 2008, 05:55:16 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Wild ARMs XF for PSP although it has it's flaws.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Curu

December 29, 2008, 05:58:55 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Curu
Valkyria Chronicles: PS3
 No character customization, all characters are predetermined and picked from a pool, all "Classes" grow in as a group, snipers level up, ALL snipers level. Regardless it is a very fun game and if you don't power level like a mad man then it can get quite difficult. However I feel it has no REAL replay value beyond hard-mode.

Tactics Ogre: SNES (Japanese. Aeon Genesis is translating it but will probably not release it until 2032), PSX (English.)
 It's FFT before FFT came to be. It's also MUCH HARDER as there is no real way to cheese your way to victory besides LONG and TEDIOUS training. There is character customization but not a s extreme as in FFT, basically you buy a unit and can change their class and watch them grow with some secret classes here and there. There is also branching story paths and multiple endings.

Vandal hearts 1&2: PSX
 It's just plain fun and can get VERY HARD in some fights. Characters are predetermined but they act as you gear them, put a bow and light armor on them and they're an archer/scout. Heavy armor and a shield 'n sword and they're a fighter. Wings and whatever the hell and they're a flying unit with access to every part of the map, ect.

Ogre Tactics: Various consoles.
 Game before Tactics Ogre, the same series however, it's a different kind of stratagy game where you move units accross a large map to intercept enemy units, capture or liberate towns and such, akin to FE but in real time and using group units which you customize instead of single units.

Front Mission 1,3 and onward: Various consoles.
 Front Mission is FFT... With mechs. You build "Wanzers" using various parts you can buy and locate, giving them different weapons and model parts so they perform differently in combat, however in 1 you can just give some characters two machine guns and tear everything apart, I have played little of 3, it's on PSX.

Tokwa

December 31, 2008, 06:24:18 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tokwa
Hoshigami <------ Almost the same lol

SentinalBlade

January 01, 2009, 12:59:55 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Hoshigami got remade for the DS; I loved it

Tactics ogre ftw

Disgea 3 just came out a bit ago... i needs a ps3 >.<

Xifanie

January 01, 2009, 10:10:52 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I hated Hoshigami so much, I don't know about versions other than the PSX but you couldn't speed it up and mid game the enemy could easily take 5 minutes to move/act all its units.

And the story was ALL about "Why do we have to fight? I don't understand"

And the answers were always ridiculous.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful