• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

RedWorld's Sprites - I'm Back Baby!

Started by RedWorld, May 13, 2011, 11:46:23 pm

RedWorld

@Mando: ;w; I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. I just wanted to point that out. xD

@GeneralStrife: You are right, and I am doing that, but it's so hard. ;A: But I'll get the hang of it~ <3

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

mav

Quote from: RedWorld on May 16, 2011, 06:38:32 pm
@mav: May I see your version. ;w; It must look really nice! <3
Sure. See the attachment. It's just a quick palette change. Zoom in on the bow to find the error spot.

Lijj

looks more like two separate pieces now; look good. Glad you kept the orange tone.
  • Modding version: PSX

VampragonLord

love the sprite, FFT needs more "spring" and "summer" style'd sprites like this one.  im bored of FFT's overall "autumn" look. just touch up the portraits hair and its all in the clear ^.^ more more more :D
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Kagebunji

Mercury's portrait has way too big hair IMO, poofy like you said. It should be sized similiarly to the hair on Mav's avatar. Since it is in character design, try making face wider and longer, that way hair will hide in the corners and make it less poofy. It's a great design though.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RedWorld

Ahh mav! The purple looks awesome! X3 I will have to look into further making this sprite better~ <333

@Kagebunji: I KNEW IT!!!! XwX Well thanks for the tip. I'll do that. X3

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

mav

Hah, nice to hear that, Red. If you need help with your palette, let me know. I've spent more than my fair share of time working on FFT palettes (some custom, some not).

Anyways, this new portrait isn't too bad. It can be fixed up pretty dang easily. The first think you need to do is de-poof the hair (which you can pull off by erasing the part on our right and by bringing the top down like three pixels and the left part to the right two pixels). Then just give him a more kiddish looking face (just move the bottom half of his face up a pixel and give him a very light smirk) and then work on his scarf thing so it matches the art a little more closely.

Good luck.

RedWorld

May 18, 2011, 05:19:00 pm #27 Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:11:50 pm by RedWorld
Haha! Thanks Mav! I hope I can follow what you're trying to tell me! ^^;; But I'll try my best~ <3

EDIT: Alright! I did what you said and you're right! It looks a lot better. X3 But I'm really iffy about the scarf now... Mind giving me the probs?

Kagebunji

I am not certain about those outlines in the upper left corner, you could try to soften it. Also, smiles don't really fit in FFT, it is fine for an avatar though. About the scarf, well I am sure Mav, Twin or Lijj have better suggestions.

RedWorld

Haha! I'm not so sure myself. I would love to try to do better Kage, but I'm not exactly sure what to do. I hope Lijj and co. will help me on Mercury! ;3;

In the meantime, welcome Isabella! Check her out and tell me what you think so far. c:

Wolfran

Nice sprite,Red. It's really cute but the dress and hair look flat.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

RedWorld

Thank you Wolf! c: I do agree a bit and I'm trying to figure out what else I should do to make her look better. Any suggestions, guys?

mav

Here's some advice: take parts from existing sprites and always be aware that a yellow palette is excruciating to pull off. Trust me, I re-paletted every generic sprite and yellow was almost always the most problematic (but it could look pretty badass when done right).

As for criticisms, well, Wolf said it all.

RedWorld

Which I've been doing. xD I actually got some of the colors from all of the FFT sprites, which should be alright. But I've been using Paint.NET once again (since GraphicsGale doesn't support multiple selecting) and nothing can always look perfect. ;w;

Wolfran

I was thinking why don't put some feathers like the chocobo's tail afterall she's a chocohume. And about the pallete I think is a good idea to use the chocobo's one.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

RedWorld

Hmm... You are right. o: I should recolor it. c:

I did try to put the chocobo's tail on her, which is why if you zoom in upon it, there will be a few random lines behind her, and I did get the tail from the chocobo sprite. Should I make more of it show then or...?

RedWorld

FFFFFFFFFFFF True. Well, I just edited it and I don't believe it looks as flat as it used to, but I'll let you guys decide. X3

I also uploaded one at 200%, so look at that one as well.

GeneralStrife

It's not that bad....where the hair meets the shoulders it looks strange....could be cause its a straight line. Should wait for one of the pro spriters to give more input on that, I'm a substandard one. Lol.

Kagebunji

IMO the blonde and yellow clash way too much, makes the sprite kinda boring. Either try making it black or brown(the hair of course).

EDIT: I would also be careful with the chocobo tail, it might be tricky to properly implement. I am sure unmasked Mime from main page can be a good reference. As to the straight lines near the top of the arms, just erase the ones at the edges with second brightest shade of hair.