• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:01:09 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Jon's Sprites

Started by Jon, December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am

Kagebunji

Oooooh shit, the green thing on her chest and legs is totaly a big shit. Whole shading is bad. Helm/Hat is flat and wrong placed, don't blame you, it's a hard sprite, but you are talented, so you will fix it...maybe :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

mav

I assume you're working on shape first, so I'll critique that. The forward facing frame looks okay, but the diagonal frame needs work (especially on the hat). The right horn (our left) needs to be moved up and to the right pixel and consider making the skull a little smaller. The horns are a good size though. Alternatively you can move the entire hat down a pixel on both frames.

As for shading, you're extremely flat: either drop the green and add another shade for white, or combine colors left and right. Good luck.

Jon

Yeah, perhaps I should hold off with the Necromancer until my talents increase to a proper level...also, I think Agrias will be the base for the female Leviathan Dragoon, because her whole upper body is somewhat similar, and inserting the male Dragoons head (yes, seems weird now, but...) is easy enough. That leaves the legs...wonder what I should use...for the female Dragoon I am gonna need a while...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

SilvasRuin

That diagonal hat for necro is horrible.  The horns look like they are in the same positioning they are in for the front facing view.    Effort was made for the skull design, but it looks like you positioned it based on the horns which are screwed up to begin with.    I somehow doubt you'll have enough colors to shade all of that.  It's also very complicated.  My recommendation is to drop some detail.  Hell, remove that weird design entirely and make it more true to the source.  There's no reason for you to be making it so much more complicated.  From what you did do for that attempt, I'm sure you can do it and the base is a nice choice.  You're just trying to make it too "interesting" and making it far more busy than it has to be.

Vanya

Quote from: "SilvasRuin"Since those Gladiators are in a way in the same vein, I would prefer sprites made of these two:
-img-
Supposedly scrapped main character designs for IX.  They must have been considering using a V style job system or something.

I've been looking for those for years!
I had forgotten which game they were supposed to have been scrapped from so I could never find them.
Thanks for posting it!! ^_^

Do you have any others?
¯\(°_0)/¯

SilvasRuin

Nah, I got those from that FF wikia thing, and I haven't seen any others.  I actually had a bit of trouble finding them again, but since I knew they were on that site, I first looked through the FFIX page and then the Dragoon page.  Found it with the dragoons.

jimmyjw88

Alright. Here are some tips that may help make the sprite better.

1 - The horn is too thin. Looks almost disconnected. Add a pixel for both. Move a pixel or two lower for his left horn on diagonal frame.

2 - The skull angle is bit off. Try remove a pixel on his top right skull on diagonal.

3 - The design is too much. Keep it simple, just like the sprite. A strap of yellow/gold line on the coat and add the red thing. Also, remember to change the collar too.

4 - Its better to use Summoner as the base due to the large coat.

Good start. Keep it up.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

dwib

Everyone has already covered the helmet (misplaced, not shaded at all, horns don't look like horns) so I will move on to the clothing
The pink line is way too saturated... are you still making your own palettes? Cannoneer had similar color issues till smash fixed that. And what is up with the gold colors you are using? There are 2 very VERY similar colors that do not look different when zoomed out.. the yellows on the shoulders on the front view are ok... but you don't translate that to the diagonal view... why did they turn purple? keep with the gold and use that color for the robe too instead of those green/golds

Focus on quality over precision... you work so hard to keep this at 16 colors that you sacrifice shading and honestly it looks like crap. Obviously this is a first draft, but you definitely have your work cut out for you. On a positive note, the purples look fine and I'm confident you'll make improvements

mav

Once again Jon, sorry for the delay. And on top of that, I'm even more sorry how these palettes turned out. I think the sprite got a bit tarnished during the color reduction process. I don't know if it was the sprite's shading or my color choices, but almost all of 'em (the second palette especially) look terrible to me. If these are unsuitable, then disregard 'em. I'm posting the SPR, if you need the BMP, let me know.

Smash

Got a PNG copy?

I could take care of the final tweakings, if needed.

jimmyjw88

Here:

EDIT: Also, I notice you didn't change the side view, Jon.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

jimmyjw88

You didn't add in my change for the side view?

Jon

Wait, what change? I changed the hat...what do you mean Jim??

jimmyjw88

This:

The back is too straight.

Jon

Will change and post. Thanks for posting Jim :)

jimmyjw88

No prob. I thought you didn't like it or something ^^

Jon

Didn't like it?! Haha! You are a funny guy! of course I liked it, I just forgot to add it. I did change it just slightly (the new coat) but it is more or less the same as yours.

@Smash- If you have the time, it will look great thanks to your skill :) Also, could you maybe add the powder bag? I couldn't get it right on all the poses, and you might wanna change the ones I already did...many thanks Smash!

Vanya

The side view of the hat needs a bit of work. It looks very awkward and doesn't jive right with the type of hat. That sort of hat, as is plainly obvious from the front view, is generally given that folded shape by fastening the rim to the top. SO the side view should look more 'attached'.
Fix that and I think you'll be golden. Either way, cheers, mate!
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kaijyuu

Now you need a female version :)
  • Modding version: PSX